• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

The lack of shade on every hole except #8 and the water does slow the round down. Have you ever played #8 in the alternate pin position, which is down the hill to the right of the short pin.

The lack of shade on every hole except #8 and the water does slow the round down. Have you ever played #8 in the alternate pin position, which is down the hill to the right of the short pin.

Me? Yes, I actually helped cut that hole in for the install.

Nice vid Giles. That does show off the course well. Showing the "weak arm" route on #9 might have given those that can't throw over 300 feet a reason to give the course a try.

Thanks and keep taking the camera to the course.

From the Funkytown Flyers web site... http://funkytowndiscgolf.com/2012/06/gateway-west-course-development/

Gateway West Course Development

The club has granted Course Development funds for some really awesome improvements out at Gateway Park in Fort Worth. Gateway was put in with a matching grant from the city of Fort Worth by Funkytown board member Brandon Melton and his crew over at Inches of Mercury back in 2008. Over the years the terrain has proven to be pretty gnarly and can sometimes make this championship level course tough to play. Recently Funkytown has come to an agreement with the city to take control of the maintenance of Gateway resolving years of confusion over who will and who can do work out on the course.

The Grant provided funds for the rental of a bobcat to scrape all of the fairways of weeds, shrubs and thistle. Brandon and Eloy, and several volunteers, worked for a solid week getting this tough job done. Additional funds will be used to make finishing touches around the course and the next time you play it you will find a much more manageable course.

To highlight all of these great improvements we plan to hold the Hangover Classic at Gateway with a two course setup of 15 holes each. You will see the debut of new tee and pin positions around the course that will make the tough layout even more interesting and challenging.

This is great news for a really fun course. If you haven't played it, and like a tough challenge, Gateway is one of the best courses in DFW. The maintenance has been the big problem with this course.

I really liked Gateway West before so I bet now it will be even better. I am going to play it on sunday and I will post what it is playing like soon after. Really looking forward to it

Sunrise

Anyone have any interest in playing a round on or before 7AM? With the Heat and a busy life/ courses. Does anyone else enjoy playing at the crack of dawn?:clap:

Can someone show knows the Weatherford course well update the page on DGCR? There are 2 tee boxes on each hole now and at least 3 pin positions on most holes but the hole information does not reflect the udated course.

Anybody have the distances for the long tees, or live close enough to the weatherford course that can get them?

Tournaments "heating up"

In the next couple months I see some busy weekends for tournament goers:

This weekend July 28-29 Arlington -- Fahrenheit Fling (2 separate one-day events)
and Tyler War of the Roses (2-day event)

August 4-5 Dynamic Discs Cedar Hill Open (3 rounds plus final 9)

August 11 Straightline HTTS #4 at Mesquite (Paschall)

August 18 Gateway Meltdown (Ft. Worth)
and Woodway Challenge (Waco)

August 25 Meltdown at Veteran's Park
August 25-26 Into the Woods at Bill Allen Memorial (The Colony)

Sept 1 Hyzer Bomb Open at McKinney (Towne Lake)

Sept 8 Heart Of Texas Tour Waco Windup (Cameron Park)
Sept 8-9 Straightline NTTS Spring/Summer finale at Cedar Hill

Sept 15-16 Dynamic Discs Lewisville Open

Sept 29-30 Alex Clark Memorial (McKinney)

Is there something going on the weekend of September 22-23 I don't know about??? AND... is it possible to over-saturate the tourney landscape? I really don't know.

Good luck to everyone!