• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

anybody know what is happening out at Gateway?

i played it when 2 holes (5 & 6, i think?) were missing baskets but now the back 9 seems to be pulled also. getting some reviews slamming it in the last few weeks.

is the course slowly dying or is there just maintenance/construction/etc going on for a bit?

The front baskets that are missing were stolen a while back and they shut down the back 9 and back section of the park to run out the weirdos....There is some really weird stuff that goes down back there. It's gross. I bike up there as well and always run into creepy people on the trails doing meth and whatever else they do. I've seen tons of used condoms and various other strange things O_O

***Attention***
Beginning March 24th the back nine will be closed due to a city effort to combat the illegal activities along Valley circle. The gate will be locked and tree/brush service crews will be clearing the problem areas.

Also the course will no longer be affiliated with the Funkytown flyers.

I'm assuming Brandon posted this, it was posted on the Gateway Disc Golf Course Facebook page.

***Attention***
Beginning March 24th the back nine will be closed due to a city effort to combat the illegal activities along Valley circle. The gate will be locked and tree/brush service crews will be clearing the problem areas.

Also the course will no longer be affiliated with the Funkytown flyers..

I'm assuming Brandon posted this, it was posted on the Gateway Disc Golf Course Facebook page.

So I guess I wasn't that far off after all.

I heard that the city took it over; the club is no longer providing maintenance.... they are going to do some different things with the park and the DG section is in the way.

So I guess I wasn't that far off after all.

Well what that means is...Brandon is no longer affiliated with the FunkyTown club ("it's a legal matter") and he took Gateway and North Park with him when he left. Nothing was said about Saddle for whatever reason...I don't think he liked dealing with White Settlement or something. But oh well, the crew that is running saddle is getting stuff done and it's gonna be legit here pretty soon. Concrete should be soon.

Last edited:
The front baskets that are missing were stolen a while back and they shut down the back 9 and back section of the park to run out the weirdos....There is some really weird stuff that goes down back there. It's gross. I bike up there as well and always run into creepy people on the trails doing meth and whatever else they do. I've seen tons of used condoms and various other strange things O_O

I've only been up there once, and could tell there was some weird crap going on there. Saw lots of items I don't want to go into details about, it's part of the reason we haven't been back (besides not being up that direction a whole lot). I'm pretty sure that this is non disc golfers doing all that, but I can understand why they gotta close the back nine for a while. The whole park will be better off in the long run.

Yeah it's not disc golfers if I implied that..just random people that park in that circle drive area. I am glad they shut it down temporarily for that reason. It was pretty creepy back there. Great course though since the fairways were cleaned up on the back nine....one of the more challenging courses in this area if not the most challenging.

Yeah it's not disc golfers if I implied that..just random people that park in that circle drive area. I am glad they shut it down temporarily for that reason. It was pretty creepy back there. Great course though since the fairways were cleaned up on the back nine....one of the more challenging courses in this area if not the most challenging.

The last time I was playing Gateway an older dude in an 80s mustang with top down was leaving that circle jamming some Madonna "girls just want to have fun" Don't have to guess what was going down in the woods.

As a guy with an inside track on current Funkytown flyers activity, I am happy to announce that Gateway is well on it's way to being better than before because of their efforts. A lot of coursework was completed this past Sunday. As of today, 16 of 18 baskets have been replaced. Stay tuned for more good news. Funkytown has a LOT more going on as well, and with revised leadership will have a renewed spin on offering the DFW disc golfer a positive and enjoyable experience. Gateway is BACK!

How the hell did I miss this thread?

Bicentennial is pretty much my home course(besides the one on my property). Was anybody else at that darlings if disc golf tournament that Tony Shirley hosted? Pretty sweet event! When it comes around next year I wouldn't miss it.

A lot of coursework was completed this past Sunday. As of today, 16 of 18 baskets have been replaced. Stay tuned for more good news... Gateway is BACK!
That's good news. Gateway was my home course for many years until recently moving. I'm glad to see it's getting some attention. Were the baskets in that bad a condition that they needed replacing?

I played the newly installed TCC NW Campus yesterday. All 18 holes except #9 were in the ground. Does anyone know more information about the installation of this course so that it can be added to the course directory?

Gateway was probably the hardest course in the dfw. I walked up on some of that illegal activity the last time I played it. No bueno.

I sure hope they fixed the problem because that was the worst hazard I have ever seen on a course. I would rather have alligators or snakes. I don't care about how people want to live their lives I just don't want to see it. Ever.

I was going through Hillsboro last week and saw that Hill College's course is coming along. They've got about seven of the tee signs up, and actually have the course mowed. It's not a super great course, but if you're going through Hillsboro it's worth a stop.

Great news on Gateway. I have friends in Fort Worth and that's the course we prefer to play.

I understand the problems there. I would think they were there long before the course was installed. Somehow, "that" activity needs to be relocated elsewhere without removing too much of the forest that makes the course special.

I played the newly installed TCC NW Campus yesterday. All 18 holes except #9 were in the ground. Does anyone know more information about the installation of this course so that it can be added to the course directory?

cool, didn't know that was happening. what is the course like? on what part of campus is it?

i know what i'm doing this weekend!

I was going through Hillsboro last week and saw that Hill College's course is coming along. They've got about seven of the tee signs up, and actually have the course mowed. It's not a super great course, but if you're going through Hillsboro it's worth a stop.

I pass through Hillsboro every week. Is there someplace to park an 18 wheeler or a 40 foot bobtail truck?

I pass through Hillsboro every week. Is there someplace to park an 18 wheeler or a 40 foot bobtail truck?

Probably not on the campus. Other than side of the road all I can think of is Love's, but that'll be a little bit of a walk.

What about Grace City Church? 1945 FM 286 on Google Maps; looks like it's got a decent sized parking lot on Street View. It should be about a 5 minute walk from the course.

I've been to the course, but I've never gone in that way before.

cool, didn't know that was happening. what is the course like? on what part of campus is it?

This should help you find it and know what to expect. (Tees are marked on attached map for holes drawn in red.)

TCC NW Campus
18 Discatcher baskets
Concrete tees decorated with stone semicircle set at rear of tee.
Mostly open, scenic recreational course on hillside between college and lake. Length for majority of holes roughly around 300 ft. with several shorter holes and two longer holes on course. Only obstacles include a few scattered trees on less than half the holes, uphill and downhill slopes and lake which only really threatens on hole #12.

Park in south parking near lake. First tee is near corner of parking lot on hilltop.
#1 - open downhill throw toward end of lake (next tee to right near sidewalk)
#2 - hillside fairway along lake's edge with few trees as obstacles (next tee to right by sidewalk)
#3 - long throw along mostly open hillside (next tee to left by sidewalk)
#4 - short throw across open field (next tee to left by lake's edge)
#5 - uphill throw past two large trees into open field (next tee to right atop hill and backing up against concrete wall of college)
#6 - downhill fairway in open field (next tee to right by water's edge)
#7 - uphill fairway in open field parallel to 6's fairway (next tee uphill near 6's tee)
#8 - downhill fairway in open field (next tee downhill to left near sidewalk)
#9 - uphill throw to green between three trees with missing basket marked by stake (next tee backs up against fenced area by the water after walk along shoreline to other side of building)
#10 - short throw past few trees on hillside (next tee to left near sidewalk)
#11 - throw across open field toward rocky drainage ditch (next tee to left by water's edge)
#12 - throw across mostly open field and drainage ditch with OB lake on left (next tee ahead near sidewalk)
#13 - short throw to green protected by large tree (next tee to right)
#14 - long throw along hillside fairway with few trees (next tee on hilltop near college after long walk back to other side of building)
#15 - throw across open field toward college to basket under large tree (next tee to right past 6 & 8's tees)
#16 - throw across dirt path into open field (next tee to left by dirt path)
#17 - slight uphill throw to green surrounded by trees on hilltop (next tee to right by construction debris)
#18 - short, open hilltop fairway

Attachments

• TCCNW_marked map.jpg
    TCCNW_marked map.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 21
  • TCCNW_5.jpg
    TCCNW_5.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts