• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

I love the Stephenville course, it has 2 of my favorite holes that I've played at any course.

The new course were putting in down here will be in Keene on SWAU property, the student park. This is where we originally wanted to put a course when we got Carver Park in, but couldn't get the university to ok it. Right now were putting in 9 holes, we have permission for the big area behind the pond, but they haven't ok'd the wooded area behind the dam. The have safety concerns about snakes and the like, we talked a little bit about it with them, that snakes will be largely driven out, and that a popular park nearby has two courses literally on a poisonous snake preserve. We're hoping to add another 9 with a second loop later. The woods are going to be the best holes. Our tentative layout has a few good holes (as well as a few generic holes). At least the open holes will require much less work. We think we can likely get it in by the end of the year, but we have no hard date set. If we have it far enough along I may incorporate it into the ace race in running at Carver.

Awesome news Jeremy. Jarrett texted me a couple days ago to start looking for ways to help get funding for it. I thought having a putting competition at a local restaurant would be a good idea. They could sponsor a hole and we could pay them in food sales if we got enough people there. It's worth a shot to ask around.

If you could find the numbers for how many people play a tournament level course a day, you could show them how many people would see that cheap advertising on a daily baisis. Heck, just go sit at Crowleys #1 teebox all day and keep a tally of how many people come through.(obviously on a Saturday or Sunday)

Jarrett had another discussion with the guy from SWAU. We're cleared to do fundraising, have a bit more of an idea what the a University will throw in monetarily. We've gotten prices for signs, teepads, baskets and the like, so we have a better idea what our budget is. And we've gotten a few commitments for hole sponsors, so things are moving nicely.

Notorious21 reviewed Gateway this past week and confirmed my worst concerns. The course is 40 miles from my house, but I play in a group with some members on the west side. We liked Gateway when it was being maintained. It's sad to read about where it is today.

A course the size of Gateway has to have a lot of maintenance performed by the City. Apparently, it's not high on Fort Worth's priorities to make Gateway a world class park. Too bad. It could be.

Notorious21 reviewed Gateway this past week and confirmed my worst concerns. The course is 40 miles from my house, but I play in a group with some members on the west side. We liked Gateway when it was being maintained. It's sad to read about where it is today.

A course the size of Gateway has to have a lot of maintenance performed by the City. Apparently, it's not high on Fort Worth's priorities to make Gateway a world class park. Too bad. It could be.

It stayed pretty decent for a while but ever since they closed the back 9 and re-opened, it hasn't been the same. Not sure whats going on, haven't heard a whole lot about it. Still A LOT better than it was a couple years ago though.:thmbup: A ton of work has gone into it.

I was really hoping that things would be good when it opened back up. I never saw any maintanance problems there, just the other well known issues and the various articles left over from that. I thought that if that got run off it could be a good course, but if it's not being maintained, that's too bad. I kind of thought the reason for cleaning it up was to make it a good park. Really dissapointed.

So next time we visit family in Saginaw we were hoping to check out a well stocked disc golf store? Anywhere in the Ft Worth area have a decent selection of discs and bags?

As far as I know, no. :( To my knowledge the best selection within reasonable driving distance would be the Quick Stop in Arlington. A bit pricey, and heavy (disc weights) but the largest selection of Brands/Plastics by far.

So next time we visit family in Saginaw we were hoping to check out a well stocked disc golf store? Anywhere in the Ft Worth area have a decent selection of discs and bags?
The Disc Shop in Ft. Worth is pretty new, but I think that should have a good selection of discs and bags. You can get a hold of them through their Facebook page or call.

The Disc Shop and Quick Stop are your beat options. The disc shop hasn't been around long and a bit difficult to find on the web, but can be found on Facebook.

They are located just south of 30 off of Cherry Lane. It's a nice little place, and I appreciate having a disc spot close to home. That being said, with them being such a new place, the selection is honestly mediocre.

Lewisville isn't too far from Saginaw. Dynamic Discs has an awesome shop on the way to the Lake course. Both the shop and the course are worth the trip.

We officially have all the sponsors for the new course in Keene, including the nine holes, teepads, practice basket and driving range. We're particularly excited about the driving range. It's sponsored by a cousin of Tom Selinske, who will sponsor it in his name.
We've also gotten permission from Southwestern to use the wooded area behind the pond for the back nine. This is going to take a yon of work, but they've committed to giving us machinery and man hours to get it workable. We're going to get the front nine in to start with, and add the back nine later. We think we'll have the front nine in a fee months, the tee pads coming a few months later.

We officially have all the sponsors for the new course in Keene, including the nine holes, teepads, practice basket and driving range. We're particularly excited about the driving range. It's sponsored by a cousin of Tom Selinske, who will sponsor it in his name.
We've also gotten permission from Southwestern to use the wooded area behind the pond for the back nine. This is going to take a yon of work, but they've committed to giving us machinery and man hours to get it workable. We're going to get the front nine in to start with, and add the back nine later. We think we'll have the front nine in a fee months, the tee pads coming a few months later.

So I shouldn't try typing Tim Selinski on my iPad late at night. I really thought I got that right.

Can't believe no one has mentioned that Fritz park in Irving is now 18 holes, they are still working on signs and tee pads, but it is playable.

The quick stop like people are saying has the best selection for sure. My other go too, which is closer to saginaw:

Foremans

David handles all the disc stuff in the shop and is knowledgeable unlike the other stores around.