• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG courses near airports

I checked a few local airports, and most had a disc golf course within 5 miles.

Might be easier to make a database of small local airports that do NOT have a disc golf course nearby. ;)

Kalamazoo USED to have a nice rec course at the south end of its runway, but too many hooligans ruined it for everybody else and the museum pulled it. RIP Air Zoo. F*** people who get courses pulled.

Kesling Park is very close to La Porte Municipal Airfield.

If you're going out 5 miles from airports (as the crow flies), Rock Hill's airport has Winthrop, Camp Canaan, and Boyd Hill, plus a bunch of school 9-12 hole courses. East of Charlotte, there are four 18 hole courses accessible from Monroe Executive Airport. Then further east, Stanly County airport has Fox Chase, City Lake, and Hardaway Point.

I checked a few local airports, and most had a disc golf course within 5 miles.

Might be easier to make a database of small local airports that do NOT have a disc golf course nearby. ;)

Yes. It seems to me that a 5-mile radius is going to capture a lot of courses.

Not knowing the OP's purpose, but I'd think courses within an easy walk of the general aviation terminal might be more useful. That is, courses where a pilot could fly in and play, without needing to get a car -- because once you get a car, you might as well go to 10 or 15 miles. And that's virtually every airport.

What's an "easy walk"? I don't know, but 1.5 miles (about 30 minutes) would do it for me.

Yes. It seems to me that a 5-mile radius is going to capture a lot of courses.

Not knowing the OP's purpose, but I'd think courses within an easy walk of the general aviation terminal might be more useful. That is, courses where a pilot could fly in and play, without needing to get a car -- because once you get a car, you might as well go to 10 or 15 miles. And that's virtually every airport.

What's an "easy walk"? I don't know, but 1.5 miles (about 30 minutes) would do it for me.

WOW! I didn't expect this robust of a response to the question. Thanks very much.
This is the idea. Be able to walk to the course. The airplane is too small for a bicycle so the shoe leather express (showing my age with this phrase) is the best option.

Brickyard Bayou in Gulfport MS is about a half mile from the south end of the runway at Biloxi-Gulfport Airport.

The Terminal Building for GPT is at the north end of the runway, which is where Commercial flights park (probably a couple of miles from the course, due to the runway).

Private planes generally land using Million Air (a private plane concierge service), which is at the south end of the runway, and definitely walkable to Brickyard (less than half a mile).

Hope this helps, and good luck with your list!

WOW! I didn't expect this robust of a response to the question. Thanks very much.
This is the idea. Be able to walk to the course. The airplane is too small for a bicycle so the shoe leather express (showing my age with this phrase) is the best option.

I'm not a pilot, but my grandfather, father, and two brothers were, so once upon a time I spent quite a bit of time around general aviation airports. So this is what I pictured: fly in, take a little hike to the course (stretch your legs after the flight), play, fly somewhere else, or home. Or, if you have to land to re-fuel, get a little disc golf out of the stop.

Just as we once flew to a college football game at Virginia Tech, were able to park the plane and walk to the stadium, without bothering with getting a car (or the traffic jam).

Ones in Wisconsin that may be a relatively easy walk:

Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva has a disc golf course and an airport on-site.

Collipp-Worden Park in Portage. Half-mile or so walk along small city streets from the small municipal airport terminal.

18 holes at the public schools across US 45 from the airport in Eagle River.

Memorial Park is less than a mile straight north of the Wausau downtown airport.

There is a three-hole practice area a couple thousand feet west of the terminal at Morey Field in Middleton, WI.

Madison Park in Wauwatosa (Milwaukee) has a new course and is across the street from Timmerman Airport, although the terminal is on the far side away from the park. Also not in the greatest area.

Maryland- Aldino Rd Airport(Harford County Airport 0W3) in Churchville MD is less than 5 miles from Mill Brook DGC which is 18 holes located on the property of Churchville Parks and Rec center. Very small airport/airfield in a pretty low traffic area, could definitely walk down Aldino Rd or Route 155 to get to the course.

Sharp Springs, Smyrna TN fits the description.
The Smyrna airport is about a mile away.

Airport Park already mentioned, but I agree the course is not so good.
On a side noteLexington, TN course plays on a WWII era airfield and over a runway... the old airport is no longer used, however.

Albert Lea, MN. 2 courses. Tall Grass is adjacent to the fenced off airfield...but kinda on the back side. Oak Island is maybe a mile down the road from Tall Grass.

Forest City, IA. This course is on a paved trail that goes all the way to the airport. A couple of miles of walking, but pretty easy walking.

Contact the PDGA, they also may be able to provide a list with lat/lon or address/city/state. Their website does list courses, but only 50 per page and they don't have address, just city/state, but I am sure they have it all in a database. You could import that list into google, along with the airport list.

I can share this: of 487 airports in the USA, 230 have a course within 5 miles that was in the ground 10 years ago.

The takeaway is that this would need to be a live function. Either DGCR could add a button for "nearest airport", or some airport site could add a button for "nearest disc golf course". Either way, that function would need access to an up-to-date listing.

Community Park DGC in Houlton Maine is less than 5 miles away from Houlton International Airport - don't let the name fool you, it's "international" but I'm pretty sure that's only because it's so close to the border, it doesn't see a ton of use from what I know.

Community Park DGC is a basic 9 holer, but it definitely scratches an itch. It is seasonal though, they pull the baskets during winter. If so inclined, search for Bob Ruth Memorial Field on Google Maps - that'll take you to the course.

Also, there's Talon Trails at the University of Maine Presque Isle that's less than 5 miles from Presque Isle International Airport. This one is 18 holes - not sure about whether it's seasonal or not. I reviewed it a couple years ago if you're looking for details.

Latest posts