• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG dog training

My advice to you would be to take him/her with you as often as you can in order to get them acclimated to the situation and teach them boundaries.

My dog showed up at my house when he was about 8 weeks old, about a month or two after I first started playing DG. I took him with me every time I played, which was almost always a solo, casual round. I kept him on a leash, tethered to my bag. In order to get him used to staying put and not wandering off (and dragging my bag behind him), I used a pinch collar. Eventually I progressed to using a retractable leash in order to give him a little extra room to roam. After a few months of watching me throw, he didn't have much interest in chasing after discs. All the while, I worked with him at home to teach him how to fetch, bring, and give using tennis balls and other toys. Later on, I got him his own frisbee to chase after. He was good at understanding the difference between mine and his, and very rarely showed any desire to go after mine. So I started carrying his dog disc in my bag when I played a round. At the END of the round, I would get it out and throw rollers (he had a hard time following air shots) for him to chase after and work off a lot of his excess energy. I feel like if I were to have him fetch before the round, he might have a hard time turning that off -- at least early on. At the time, I had the luxury of going out almost every day during the summer to play. He seemed to look forward to it as much as I did. But it just takes time and patience (and treats).

8 years later, he knows when he's allowed to chase after a disc. He's got his own (usually a Bite or a Superhero) that I still carry in my bag, and occasionally we'll team up for roller practice. (It's amazing how quickly he can cover 300-400 feet!) Being a terrier mix, he was probably was a little rougher on plastic as a pup than what your lab might be. Eventually he calmed down and now he rarely bites down hard enough to leave a mark on any of my golf discs. Somewhere along the way he learned how to track his disc through the air, chase it down, and catch it. But it's not something we spent a lot of time on.

Depending on the situation, I still take him with me nearly every time I play. Sometimes during a casual round, I'll give him some free range time if possible, assuming there aren't any opportunities for him to get in trouble. But that's just about developing trust, knowing that he'll behave and listen. During a competitive round or when the course/park is busy, he stays hooked to my bag and we make a point to stay behind or at the back of the rest of the group. So far, I've never had any complaints about him during or after a round. Almost everyone we've played with has been very complementary and made a point to say how well behaved he is and how still he sits while everyone throws.

This is super encouraging. Thanks for the full story. it's really great to see that perspective. I hope my pup will having time and really learn what to do. One thing I'm learning from my research in training dogs is I pretty much need to invest all my money in TREATS lol.

I found the best way to teach a new dog is to take it golfing with older dogs that already know to leave discs alone. It seemed to only take a few rounds and my Shepherd pup has figured it out. I know that isn't always possible though.

My dog, Marley is trained for disc golf and she is a chocolate labrador. She's obsessed with her frisbee but knows not to touch mine. My suggestion to you is to get a couple Supersonic discs for your dog (link below). Train your dog that getting this frisbee ONLY is ok. It's not easy but if you ONLY play with them with this disc they will pick it up to leave your discs alone.

Another suggestion (and I did this) is to get yourself a bottle of Apple Bitter spray (link below). Spray your ENTIRE BAG with it (oderless to us humans once it dries and doesn't leave a residue). Spray a few of your non-bagged discs and leave them around the house for your pup to discover on their own. This way they associate a disc golf disc with having a bad taste.

Last step is to teach your dog to stop mid chase on ANYTHING. A ball, frisbee, rabbit, etc. You need to teach "Stop" or some other command to call your dog off a chase. This will help in case you see your dog start to tear after a disc golf disc and you will be able to call them off it if needed.

^^ The above are all techniques on how to specifically train for a disc golf dog but all the above needs to be supported with fundamentals of sit, stay, laydown, etc. CONSISTENCY and REPETITION is the biggest obstacle for dog owners. Training never ends, even when they are 10 years old.

Another word of advice is to use their food kibble as training treats. MUCH cheaper then buying actual training treats and dogs (especially labs) are excited to get food no matter what it actually is).

Good luck!

Supersonic Disc: https://www.amazon.com/Innova-Super...543255940&sr=8-1&keywords=supersonic+dog+disc

Apple Bitter: https://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bi...8&qid=1543256049&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+bitter

Attachments

• 20181126_132413.jpg
    20181126_132413.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 9
I can't give any advise because my mutt came ready out of the box! The first time he came with, he chased my first throw. I pulled the disc out of his mouth, slapped his rear with the disc, and said "no". This was nine years ago. He's played 1,000+ rounds on 100+ courses and hasn't repeated that behavior.
He's now a regular at the leagues I play and is liked by everyone. He even stands still (when everyone else does) while someone is putting or driving.
Best of luck!

THIS book will help explain the leader/follower relationship and give you the tools to train the pooch. Once you establish who's boss and stick with it, the dog can be trained to do (nearly) anything.

I used this book to train two black labs and a terrier with great success.

THIS book will help explain the leader/follower relationship and give you the tools to train the pooch. Once you establish who's boss and stick with it, the dog can be trained to do (nearly) anything.

I used this book to train two black labs and a terrier with great success.

Didn't follow link, but the leader follower idea is a good one. Dogs will "mount" each other to establish dominance. Not wanting to mount my dog, I did the next best thing. I would stand with his hips between my knees or ankles while giving the stay command when he wanted to chase something. He couldn't get free and subconsciously he learned I'm in charge and should follow me and my commands.