• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG in GUAM?

Aw2phillips

Is there any disc golf in Guam? I searched the Internet and found nothing on YouTube nothing on Dgcoursereview, PDGA, etc, and can only find two small outdated topics and I can't really get an answer on the DG scene. Out there if any. I.E. How many Courses, what are the courses like? I noticed on disccrafts website that they were having there first ever acerace out there but still can't get an answer on anything? Does anybody have a clue?

:wall:

I lived in Saipan for a few years and designed several courses while I was there. Unfortunately, Saipan being Saipan, things never came fully around and no permanent courses are there, though if you ever visit I have detailed maps/instructions for where the course would have been. Last year in Guam, my brother and I were pitching the idea for a course and getting some decent feedback. We even ran a few clinics at Schools and parks and introduced a lot of people to the idea. If you go to the Mayors office, they have 3 portable targets that you can borrow as well as a bunch of EDGE discs. We had several locations we were looking at to install a course, but theft/vandalism was considered to large of a risk. Honestly, I think the best bet would be to pitch the idea to the military base as a recreational activity for the men and women stationed there. They have the land available and wouldn't have to worry about all the same vandalism problems that the public parks deal with.

If you want to get involved talk to Renee Veksler. She will have the information/connections you'll need to get things moving.

Here's a little clip from one of the clinics I did back in May.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-4LziUhWYQ

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will be in contact with her for sure. Thanks again

Also, where can I locate Renee ? Do she work for city hall , hilton, on base?
Thanks again. If your ever in the San Diego area, message me and I'll show ya some of our fine courses.

What about talking to the University of Guam about doing a course somewhere on their property? My mapping business did a campus map for them earlier this year (http://www.mapformation.com/what-we-do?id=1686), and they seem to have plenty of land to at least get nine holes in there. They also likely have whatever permissions/zoning they need to get some tee pads and baskets in the ground too.

Just a thought! College and university campuses are often a good place to find acres and acres of green space...with hundreds/thousands of potential players living within a few hundred yards. ;)

Great idea brother! I will defiantly relay these ideas over to a guy that is a big advocate for the sport currently living there. I will try my hardest to establish the sport in guam. Thanks!

AW2, There was nothing DG related when I was there, except a few discs I brought. When you get there let us know. There looks to be a lot of good space for DG on the island, I saw a few potentials. I should be heading over in the summer for a few weeks. I want to know if I should bring some discs.

@ Roclover...I think I played with your dad and brother a couple times down at Ypao beach. Is Verlan your father? I ended up buying their portable basket from them before went back to the states.

@ AW2...Are you stationed on Andersen--HSC25. I have a portable basket that I have taken down to Tarague and to Arc Light Park on base. I have been wanting to try and get something going on Guam as well but honestly I haven't really pursued recently. Roclover is probably right though, best bet would probably be on a military installation due to vandalism and theft. Don't know if you are familiar with South Finn but there was once a object course there and I believe some of the poles are still pull. I don't know who runs the MWR for that area but that seems like a decent place. Not a lot of trees, mainly open area though. Like I said, I am interested but havent pursued it lately. Got me thinking about it again though. If anything, we could at least get some portable baskets together for a temp course somewhere.

Island, I will be stationed at Anderson /HSC 25 around June time frame. I've been talking to multiple people and I think we have a good shot at getting something going. Worst case we can at least get a good group together on the weekends. I'll keep you guys updated!

@ Russell, I played a sick course in Houston and crushed some rounds at both courses at Jack Brooks park in Hitchcock Tx. The coolest part is that I stopped in at DISCNATION superstore in Austin TX. That place was amazing because they have a 500' driving range and let you test any disc in the store. Let just say.... I spent some doe!!!

@AW2Phillips Renee can be contacted through her e-mail: [email protected] She'll be able to give you whatever information you need about the EDGE materials including the portable baskets.

@on an island yeah, that was definitely my Dad and my brother. I hope you're getting good use out of the basket and enjoying Guam. I miss the warm weather and the snorkeling and spearfishing I used to do in Saipan. It's currently -18 degrees where I'm at now... not quite tropical.

All the best everyone and good luck starting some kind of league or something in Guam. There are already a bunch of Ultimate players around, both on Saipan and Guam, so make sure you meet up with some of our disc cousins.

I was just there (Guam) for a week in December and I didn't see anything on or off either base. Anderson has lots of open landscape that you could make a temp course on though. I brought mine and had a blast.

Anderson has a LOT of open space. Out of all the military bases I've ever been on (around 30 or so), that base is the biggest waste of space, ever. They could easily put multiple courses on that base. I hope you guys get it going there.