• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

discdoh

Birdie Member
I am officially a DG shoe addict. I probably buy upwards of 5-6 new pairs every year. I am constantly looking for the PERFECT shoe. When I buy something that looks exactly like what I am looking for, more often than not they end up not satisfying my needs like I had hoped. Here is a list of what I look for in a DG shoe (not in any particular order):

- good traction in/on all conditions: concrete teepads, natural teepads, morning dew, mud, wet rocks, wet grass, and snow (to some extent). Vibram soles are great, but not always the best answer. I have had some Vibram soles that were downright dangerous on wet rocks!

- good support: I don't like my foot sliding around inside the shoe when I plant on the teepad or am trying to get a good stance on an uphill/downhill lie. True hiking shoes are the best for this, but they are almost always too stiff and you lose a ton of athleticism in your run-up.

- good mid-foot protection: essential for playing rounds on rougher terrain. Hiking shoes usually have full foot-length protection, which is a bit much...it makes the shoes too stiff overall. There are a bunch of trail running shoes that incorporate some protection in the middle area only. This seems to be the best answer.

- durability: nothing is worse than blowing a wad of cash on a pair of expensive shoes only to have them fall apart or the tread wear out within a few months. A lot of times, durability equals more weight...but not always.

- minimal weight: with good, long lasting build quality there is no way to avoid a little extra heft, but I don't want to feel like I am wearing around a pair of bricks for a 2 round day of golf. Regular running shoes are on the lightweight extreme, but they end up getting thrashed relatively quickly. This is probably one of the hardest elements in a pair of shoes to find.

- waterproof qualities: I typically have separate shoes in my car for wet conditions and dry conditions. Even if the tournament conditions are ideal, you are still going to run into some kind of morning dew or something similar. I refuse to wear waterproof socks unless it is actually raining out (I hate the crowded shoe syndrome). Gore-Tex fits the bill, but often the durability of the lining is less than stellar. This varies tremendously from manufacturer to manufacturer (the best I have found is Lowa...by far).

This is honestly the short list. There are obviously a ton of other factors that can end up ruining what you thought were the perfect pair. For the sake of keeping it simple, I just wanted to start the conversation off with this set of demands. Here is a short list of manufacturers that I have tried and the problems that I have run into:

- Merrell: 10 or more pairs. The fit has always been awesome. Good foot protection. Durability not so much. Gore-Tex durability even worse. They also tend to be a bit clunky feeling. REI probably hates me due to my Merrell exchanges.

- Salomon: 2 pairs. Great fit. Good waterproofing. Good protection. Horrible durability. I honestly felt cheated when they started to fall apart so quickly.

- Vasque: 3 pairs. Great fit. Good waterproofing. Good protection. OK durability. Sub par traction...they just missed the mark on making an aggressive enough sole design every time.

- North Face: 3 pairs. Great Fit. OK waterproofing. OK protection. OK durability. Overall they were just mediocre. I was able to pick up each pair on some killer deals, however.

- Patagonia: 1 pair. OK fit. OK waterproofing. Great protection. Great durability. Unfortunately they were some of the heaviest shoes I have ever worn. My legs were literally worn out after a 2 rounder from lugging them around (I am not a huge dude).

- Lowa: 4 or more pair. 10 years ago I thought that they could do no wrong. The Renegade is their only remaining model that comes close to meeting my criteria nowadays. Their fit is a bit on the stiff side. Their waterproofing is bar none the best in the business...I have had 2 year old beater shoes still keep my feet bone dry on a rainy day. That said, they really are hiking shoes and not meant for DG duties.

- Nike: 4 or more pair back in the ACG days. Whatever happened to the ACG line? Their offerings are a joke now. It was good while it lasted, I guess.

- Saucony: 2 pairs. Great fit. Great weight. OK durability. I just ordered some of their Xodus 4.0 GTX trail runners, so we will see how they do with an authentic trail shoe versus a running shoe modified for the trail.

There are more, but I have rambled on enough. I would like to hear your input. What brands/models have you loved (or hated)? What is your favorite non-waterproof shoe? What is your favorite waterproof shoe? What are you going to try out next? Have you found the perfect shoe for you?

I have two pairs of the North face gtx iii hedgehogs and love them. :thmbup:

4 pairs of solomans, all had de-laminated soles.

1 Pair of keen marshal wp goretex, super lightweight and durable. Decently waterproof and good in all conditions I've tried(snow, mud leafy hills whatever).

When I buy shoes for dg I basically look for a mono type sole because they de-laminate so easy if it's the glued together type.

New balance 411 all terrain are cheap and awesome grip! Great shoes! Been playing for 2 years and just started my 3rd pair.

I've had two pairs of Merrells, and the only bad thing I can say about them is one pair started squeaking after only about 3 or 4 months of use. To the point of, I had to buy a new pair just to play in a tournament. I knew it would piss off the people in my card.

I'm currently wearing these,

BLGRA.jpg

the Teva Reforge Event trail shoe. Nice and lightweight, and the sole is super grippy. The toe cap seems to be very durable as well. The only issue is that they run a bit narrow so I ordered them a half size larger than I normally wear. This made them loose in the heel, but it isn't anything a modified show tying can't fix. They're waterproof and only $70 or so right now.

Everyone knows Salient discs will offer the Supreme shoes for all your disc golfing/hiking endeavors.

available fall 2025.

i've posted this in other threads about shoes, check out oboz (http://obozfootwear.com/). they're a smaller company out of MT and they make some great shoes. i'm hard on shoes and i'm on my third season with a pair of Yellowstone II boots and i got a whole summer out of a pair of Sawtooth lows (something unheard of for me). fwiw i generally wear my Yellowstone's late fall through early spring when i need warmth and/or waterproof shoes and wear light hikers the rest of the year.

This year I decided to look for a decent shoe I could use for disc golf. I have been wearing:

Saloman Speedcross 3 - Love the light weight...love the tread pattern and Contagrip on the soles, but they're pretty fragile...love the lacing system - why are they the only ones doing this?...anything but waterproof

The North Face Hedgehogs - Heaviest that I've tried...less aggressive tread patter but grippy Vibram soles...only waterproof pair I've tried, but it's been effective in the limited wet conditions in which I've worn them...still look new aside from the dirt

New Balance Minimus - tried these to see how "barefoot" shoes work. They seemed to be the least durable of the three on initial impression...lightest of all...great Vibram soles - have worn these more than any of the others, and the soles are starting to show a little wear...not waterproof at all, but you don't wear socks with them...no issues with sole separation from the upper

Of all of them, I wound up loving the shoes I thought I would hate, the New Balance Minimus. Once I adjusted to them, they were far and away the most comfortable despite having the least padding and have managed to help me break my toe dragging problem (when all you have is a little bit of mesh between your skin and the pavement, you do what you have to do to not scrape the pad). I can't wait until it warms up a little so I can go back to them.

People spending $1000 on a single Prodigy disc and now we have people buying 5-6 pairs of shoes a year for disc golf? This sport is getting to be a cash cow. No wonder there are new companies popping up like Subway sandwich stores... <Insert "I should buy a boat" cat meme with something dg related>

People spending $1000 on a single Prodigy disc and now we have people buying 5-6 pairs of shoes a year for disc golf? This sport is getting to be a cash cow. No wonder there are new companies popping up like Subway sandwich stores... <Insert "I should buy a boat" cat meme with something dg related>

Point taken. I truly am an addict.