• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

So my Cushe X-sige WP are not trashed yet they are wearing remarkably well. Still not very comfortable but I admit the sizing might have been off I just got what they had at the discount. I really like a lot of features about them but they have started to smell. It's not me I don't have a case of the swamp foot but I know a few weeks ago I did get some seepage of nasty water in them and never dried the inside right. I don't think they have that anti microbe shield like Merrells do. They stink. I decided I would order a new pair of Merrells since I have loved them for 17 years and the last three for disc golf. They're Moabs and waterproof. Pretty much the same ones I had before trying the Cushe. They're super comfortable and today I played a bit in them. Plan to wear them on sunday for my tournament. I just hope they don't wear in one spot like the last pair. It was a pivot area on the ball of my foot so maybe I can change that. I don't think I'll stop wearing Merrells. I may try Salomans, Oboz, and the DD shoes when they come out but only to stack them all against the merrell and see if any will wear slower. I really like the comfort but would like something more durable and cheaper.

I bought a pair of Merrell All Out Blazes for disc golfing on rugged terrain that are working out great. They're waterproof mids that feel like a shoe and have great Vibram tred. For more tame courses I'll wear Merrell minimalist trail running shoes. I couldn't be happier between the two.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 97
Got a pair of the Keen Marshall WP and first impressions are positive! I'll have to come back after a few months to speak about their durability, but for now I am very happy with them. Fit is true to size, I wear 10.5-11 Wide usually and the 10.5 regular width fit great. Played a couple rounds today in some muddy, wet conditions and my feet were completely dry by the end. For reference, I played the same course yesterday and after 3 holes my feet were soaked. Grip seems just right for playing disc golf, enough traction to not fall on my ass but not too much that I'm going to hurt my ankles or knees trying to pivot.

Incidentally if anyone lives near a Sam's Outfitters (only 3 locations, MA, NH, VT) they have a 25% off coupon that applies to almost all their shoes, so I got these for only 97 bucks!

Attachments

• 6997_10100371909856709_846660512_n.jpg
    6997_10100371909856709_846660512_n.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 76
Best shoes for disc golf,

Vibram Five Fingers, And for messy conditions: Innov8

Both are minimilast shoes and improve my footwork because I can feel the ground beneath me.

Just got a pair of Lowa Renegades, and they are super comfortable. I tried on a pair of Asolo Fugitives and found that the soles were real hard and is more of a real hiking boot. They were hurting my feet after just 10 minutes of wearing them around the store. The Lowa's seem real comfortable, my first round in them will be tomorrow, I will post a comment after I play a few rounds in them.

Best shoes for disc golf,

Vibram Five Fingers, And for messy conditions: Innov8

Both are minimilast shoes and improve my footwork because I can feel the ground beneath me.

I bought a pair of Vibram Spyridons for disc golf. Haven't worn them out for a game yet, only concerned about the tees. My Bikilas are fantastic on the tees tho. Bikilas lose traction in the mud, but that is why I have Spyridons. Expecting they will do great. 6pm.com has them for $50 usually

Has anybody ever tried any Kikkor shoes? I am looking at a pair of the Tour Pros. They are a cleated soled shoe but, my local course has dirt teepads. I also only do a one-step drive off the tee, no run up.

Just ordered a pair of these. $100 regular found some on TGW.com on sale for $59, minus the 15% off code= $50 + shipping :thmbup:. I will update when I get some rounds in them. :D

I use Salomon Xr Mission. My problem with shoes are that the sole usually loosens/crack/peel off, but this model is holding on fine, I think it is 6 months now. I don't like waterproof shoes, or my feet doesn't like them. If it is wet I pull on some waterproof bags between to thin socks.

Salomon Sense Mantra

Got a pair of these a month ago, used every day since, no signs of wear. A VERY tight fit. I usually wear 10-10½, the ones I've got are 11 and they are still pretty tight. Super lightweight and good traction on all surfaces. Don't provide much support or protection, so I wouldn't advise anyone with bad ankles to get these. Not waterproof. Still have to see how long they last.

My last pair of shoes were Merrell Moab GTXs. Completely destroyed in 4 months, both soles ripped right off. The gore-tex didn't last 2 wet rounds. Great traction, support and toe protection. Although it's a great shoe I'm never getting another pair of them as they don't seem to last too long

Lowa Renegade GTX

So I played three rounds with my new Lowa Renegades and I have to say they are fantastic. I purchased their wide boot because my feet are on the wide side. I have a pair of Merrell Moab wide waterproof, and they lasted less than 4 months of being waterproof. They are not even that comfortable anymore! To Merrell's credit, I called them and informed them that their boots stink, and they are willing to send me a new pair of boots in return for my old pair. Before purchasing the Lowa's, I also tried on two pairs of Keen boots, as well as two different pairs of Asolo boots. Oboz boots were nice, however they do not make any boots in wide. There pair was just to narrow. The Asolo boots were real nice but had a very stiff and rigid sole, great for hiking and climbing, and after 10 minutes in the store my feet were starting to hurt. The Keen boots were my second choice. They only offer a few models in wide and the ones I really liked were not offered. I wear Ecco shoes to work because they are real comfortable and soft soles and the Lowa's are a outdoor version of this. Very comfortable and supportive. I have not played in water or snow yet but the reviews on their waterproofing is great. If anyone is on the fence about a pair of comfortable waterproof boots made to last a few years look into them!

Got Merell Moabs about 6 months ago, playing in them several times a week in really wet conditions. now they are falling apart.

I wear Ecco shoes to work because they are real comfortable and soft soles...

Have you tried Ecco boots or trail running shoes for DG? I've almost pulled the trigger a few times on some Ecco shoes that seem like the right support and tread pattern.

Ecco shoes have a lifetime warranty. My parents have worn their golf shoes for years, and swear by them. When one of my dad's cleat mounts busted, they sent him a gift certificate for like $100 more than he paid, and more than he could spend, even on the newest pair.

Have you tried Ecco boots or trail running shoes for DG? I've almost pulled the trigger a few times on some Ecco shoes that seem like the right support and tread pattern.

Ecco shoes have a lifetime warranty. My parents have worn their golf shoes for years, and swear by them. When one of my dad's cleat mounts busted, they sent him a gift certificate for like $100 more than he paid, and more than he could spend, even on the newest pair.

I have worn their shoes for years. They are my go to shoe company. I also have a pair of their golf shoes and they are over 5 years old and look and feel new. I looked online at their boots and one paired looked good, but there are no retailers near me that carry their boots, just dress shoes. I really wanted to try them on and walk around in them a bit before I buy them. We had a factory outlet store near me in Tannersville, Pa, but they closed a few years back.

Sorry if covered in this massive thread, but I have a specific shoe question. Let's say I have a pair of Merrells and a pair of Timberlands for cold and/or wet weather. What is everyone's opinion on best shoe for performance of disc golf if playing in dry, warm weather? Is there a shoe that will make me better?

Okay, a few more shoes in the mix...
Keen Targhee II: very comfortable, wp works well, rubber is good mix of durable yet grippy. Started delaminating within a month. Keen warratied them. Bummer as they are a good mix of light weight and comfort in a midtop boot.

Keen Pittsburg soft toe: shares same sole design as Ketchum, but a bit taller. Again, very comfy. These are a good bit heavier and really are hiking quality boots. Time will tell on durabillity as these were my warranty for the Targhee. Initial impressions good though.

Merrel Moab: a bit clunky feeling, but comfortable none the less. Wp works well for fending off morning dew. Vibram sole is much firmer than my hedgehogs. I imagine they will take longer to grind down. Wet traction is not very good. Overall not really impressed for price.

First of all, Discdoh gave great feedback as the theadfather. Then it started to turn into what people bought. I'd love to hear some new shoe reviews. Pros and Cons, comfort and durability. Also, a specific model is much more helpful than "Merrells."

My Merrell Road Gloves (written on the size tag) are not ideal for DG. Admittedly, they were cheap, not built for off road use, and I'm tired of trying to make them work. I'd really like to hear descriptive reviews like Discdoh. That's the kind of useful information anyone looking to buy DG-friendly shoes wants to have. Thx!

I've noticed on this and other shoe threads how people love to talk price, and say "not bad for the money." Cheap should scare you. Materials and craftsmanship are sacrificed for a lower price. If I were forced to make shoes in jail, I doubt I'd have enough incentive to make it well. I'll save you the politics, but things are outsourced because of consumers' obsession with the price tag. The most expensive option isn't always the best one, but the best option is rarely the cheapest. Are they great or just okay and cheap? Let others determine value for themselves.

I would love more votes for their favorite DG shoes. Here's a list of shoes that folks have mentioned. Please provide feedback on them or any others you're enjoying.

Adidas Crossflex 2 (golf shoes), Terrex Fast X, Terrex Swift R GTX
Cushe Baja
Garmont Zenith
Keen Delaveaga, Marshall, Siskiyou, Turani CNX, Zion
La Sportiva FC Eco 2.0 GTX
Lowa Renegade
Merrell Moab
New Balance Minimus, 411, 911, 989, 1521
North Face Hedgehog GTX 3
Oboz Arete, Firebrand, Sawtooth, Dark Shadow, Yellowstone
Salewa Alpine, Firetail?
Saucony Xodus 4.0 GTX
Vasque Juxt
Vivobarefoot "trail shoe", "hiker"

That's just from 2 threads. There's soo many. Oboz, Keen and North Face kept coming up. I'm intrigued by Salewa, La Sportiva, and Cushe.
I'm also curious about experiences with specialty shoes, like spikeless golf shoes and shot putting/discus shoes.
I want this thread to help EVERYONE interested in DG shoes, so please don't withhold.

Just bought Adidas Fast R GTX, suitably impressed. For those that don't know (as I didn't until I started shopping) GTX is short for GoreTex. My previous experiences with 'waterproof' shoes was that if I forgot to spray them before a wet round (and sometimes if I did) I'd be changing socks mid way through the day. I recently played a two-day tourney where it had rained solid the night before the first day and lightly during the second day and the GTX lived up to it's billing. Not even damp - and don't spray them, they breath out, not in, but won't breath out if you spray them. I wouldn't buy anything less in future. FWIW, the Fast R appears solidly built, but feel agile. The traction is perfect for multiple surfaces and excels in wet grass. If anyone has tried these and found something they thought more suitable for DG, I'd be very curious to learn.

Got a big question for the shoe experts out there...

I have big feet.. lol 13w+ and normally barefoot shoes etc that are 13W fit well, but just dont hold up. With my Merrell Moabs and new Rocky Inclination shoes that are 13-13w they fit well, BUT around my toes after a round or two they feel crushed!!

-when I take my shoes off its like a breath of fresh air after my toes being so tightly crammed together. Any dg shoe out there that people have had good experience with durability and toe wiggle room? I do enjoy a tight fitting shoe around the ankle and heel but toes.. Damn.. Them big toes need room to breath damnit! lol

-thanks

guitarmanst, check out the Altra Lone Peak 1.5. Minimalist (zero drop) but made to be rugged and take the abuse that trail running and hiking can dish out. This shoe is my shoe of choice for both hiking and dg because I too value a roomy toe box where my toes can naturally splay out on rugged terrain.

As far as wear goes, I'm a toe dragger and the toe bumper has held up incredibly on both pairs that I have. While it shows wear, the integrity of the shoe is not being compromised at all. The tread pattern is very open and the lugs are aggressive enough for all terrain. I have maybe 200 rounds (minimum) on each pair and the soles are just now starting to show some wear. They're very lightweight and breathable, and even if/when they get wet, they dry out very quickly (I always wear Darn Tough merino wool socks with these shoes which helps the shoe dry quickly). These shoes do have a rock guard built into the insole, but with just enough cushioning to protect you from those rocks and minimal impact, they still give you a great feel for the ground. I can't recommend these enough if you value a wide toe box and a true zero drop in a rugged minimalist shoe. :thmbup:

Does anyone have experience using Brooks Ghost shoes for disc golf? I'm curious how they'd hold up.