• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Shoe Recommendations?

TripleB

Eagle Member
I have a pair of great Saucony running shoes I delegated as my disc golf shoes. Fantastic comfort and excellent grip through the woods on my home course.

I looked down today and found part of the sole coming off in four different places...I assume from where I plant my right foot and pivot around it on my throws.

Can anyone recommend a quality (yet affordable, maybe under $90 or so) pair of disc golf shoes that are extremely comfortable, durable, not too hot for Summer months, and grippy for all types of terrain...from fields to roots to climbing over fallen trees to sand to rocks to teebox to fairways to thorns to everything in between?

Thanks!!!

TripleB

I was wearing Keen, I have switched to merrel Moab, they come in a variety of styles, waterproof, breathable mesh, many colors as well. All between$80-$100

Any decent hiking boot should meet your requirements for price and purpose. REI for high end stuff or Big 5 for pagans like me.

I just picked up a pair of water resistent low tops for $65 last week and took them out for a trial run in a downpour yesterday. Worked like a charm, though I wasn't wading streams and bogs. I keep a pair of fully waterproof boots for the odd times they're needed, but the extra weight keeps them in the trunk unless I'm looking at ankle deep water.

I'll definitely look into all of these recommendations!!!

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

Again, I appreciate the recommendations.

TripleB

...Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes?

TripleB - If I recall correctly, you are an avid tennis player/collector, so tennies may be right in your wheelhouse. That said, they're really not made for the conditions on the DG course. I would rather have a good pair of 'woodland' shoes than a pair designed for a flat field of play.

My 2 Cents...

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

TripleB

Here's the thing, disc golf is a pretty specific set of movements. No shoe can really be "made for this" not really anyhow (maybe latitude 64 T links??) But what I find works the best is a low or mid top lighter weight (waterproof, if preferred although some sweaty stinky feet and shoes are not far off) also they're good to handle the terrain we have to deal with. You're going to grind any shoe if you play, just a sacrifice you need to be willing to make. I've never worn a "tennis" shoe the closet thing j see people wearing are probably New Balance, they have a few models that are pretty good from what I've seen aside from that, Keen, Merrell, Solomon, Lat64, Columbia and probably a slew of others make shoes that'll do ya just fine on the course, really it's all about finding the one that works for you. Good luck

if you like your Sacony running shoes, try Asics trail runners. good traction in the rough stuff and decent wear. I'm pretty brutal to mine and wear them whenever it is reasonably dry.

TripleB
Tennis shoes are great on tee pads. Off the tee pads, however, it can be a different story. My home course, Rockland Park, would be considered a "moderate" hike if you simply walked the fairways. If you end up in a sinkhole it gets "strenuous."

Depending on the courses you play, tennis shoes can work. I stick with trail shoes.

Ozark Trail low profile hiking shoes. Light weight, comfortable, decent support, good traction. $20 a pair.

Been my year-round, everyday, do-everything shoe for years: work, walking around, disc golf, yard work. Generally get 6-8 months out of a pair.

Target carries a practically identical shoe in grey, but in my experience they didn't hold up as well.

If you want something light for summer, check out the Merrill Trail Glove or Vapor Glove series.

if you like your Sacony running shoes, try Asics trail runners. good traction in the rough stuff and decent wear. I'm pretty brutal to mine and wear them whenever it is reasonably dry.
I got some Asics trail runners to replace my old Asics cloud nimbus running shoes - (most comfortable shoe I've ever had) and granted they were a cheaper shoe ($70) I got at kohls - the way the treads are, they keep pulling off on both feet. I bought a tube of shoe goo and I just reglue them when they come apart. I have done this 4 times now and the 4th may have been my last. After the last time the gray rubber sole, not the tread, was pulling away from the shoe cause the shoe glue was working so we'll haha

Think I'm going to actually have to go the hiking shoes route next time.

Those Merrill models do not have a lot of support, but that is the point of them. They are considered "barefoot" style shoes, and allow your foot to flex more naturally, causing less back pain. They are zero-drop (no slope from heel to toe), have a wide toe box for comfortable fit, and have a rubber toe cap to protect from rocks or tee pads. Super light weight and I wear them without socks usually (as they are designed to be). I absolutely love my Vapor Glove 3, although the tread is not very lugged. It has not been an issue, but the Trail Gloves have more lugs. They have Vibram rubber soles, and are very grippy. The lack of lugs holds up well, because there are no lugs to wear down—and provide more surface area preventing a quick wear down. I've worn them for disc golf for past six months (2+ times per week) and as my all-around sneakers for past year. When these wear out (no critical signs of it yet) I will probably get the Trail Gloves. The barefoot style works well for DG because when you pivot your whole foot is at same level. I've had issues in other shoe types when the heel is higher up, and when pivoting it is unnatural, and the shoe isn't designed for pivoting, and rolling ankles is possible. The barefoot style does what your foot naturally does, and doesn't restrict you from certain movements.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Merrill Moab Edge?

Had a chance to try several shoes on from Keen, Merrill, and Columbia today and the Moab Edge felt the best out of all of them. I think what I liked most about them was they fit my narrow foot well and they laced up like a tennis shoe (I have problems with my heel slipping so I have to lace my shoes a special way).

Thanks for all the input.

TripleB

Anyone tried the Merrill Moab Edge?

Had a chance to try several shoes on from Keen, Merrill, and Columbia today and the Moab Edge felt the best out of all of them. I think what I liked most about them was they fit my narrow foot well and they laced up like a tennis shoe (I have problems with my heel slipping so I have to lace my shoes a special way).

Thanks for all the input.

TripleB

I am currently wearing Merrell Moab edge to fold in, great shoes, until it gets wet, the mesh is literally all the way through I like them dew doesn't soak through onine but step in one puddle, that's it. That being said they're fantastic, supportive, athletic movements are not problem when wearing them and they're showing no wear as of yet, I traded my Keen Nasu out(too heavy) for this lite model, if a lite model is what you want then this is a good way to go.

I am currently wearing Merrell Moab edge to fold in, great shoes, until it gets wet, the mesh is literally all the way through I like them dew doesn't soak through onine but step in one puddle, that's it. That being said they're fantastic, supportive, athletic movements are not problem when wearing them and they're showing no wear as of yet, I traded my Keen Nasu out(too heavy) for this lite model, if a lite model is what you want then this is a good way to go.

That was supposed to say *golf in*