• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Shot Terminology

Jungle Tim

Birdie Member
Hola

I just read an excellent article on 1000rated.com with Dave Feldberg, and there were a few shots that he said that i have not heard of.

What is a.... and how do you do it?

Inside out shot?
Push putt
Spin putt?

Muchas Gracias

Jungle Tim

hell, just last night I watched a few vids on YouTube and saw a "scooby" shot! Had never heard or seen one.

FYI..flip disc upside down and throw it low to ground to let it slide under obstacles.

Inside Out: Possibly the same as a "Flip Putt" or "Butterfly" where The disc is elevated over your throwing arm's shoulder in a flat position with the thumb placed near the disc's center and four fingers outside the disc's rim. Force is applied from the hand pushing the disc towards the basket in a flipping motion.

Turbo Putt: Also known as a push putt - A grip/throwing style where the disc is held with the fingers on the rim of the disc and "pushed" with enough spin to carry to the target. The disc is held above the player's shoulders and is thrown much like a football. Most generally used for short shots and putting when there are tall objects between the lie and the target.

I am guessing that the "Spin Putt" is similar to the "Bi-Moto Putt":

Bi-Moto Putt - a two-handed style of putt where the disc is held at eye level and released in line with the target. One hand propels with four fingers, excluding the thumb, rested on the outer rim from the back of the disc. The second hand adds support, aim and spin with fingers rested on the outer rim from the side of the disc. This style of putt is accurate inside the circle, but not effective outside the circle. Also useful when putting into the wind.

I am pretty sure this is not what Dave is talking about here.

I'm not 100% but I think a spin putt is more like a typical throw that will have more spin and tend to glide farther and have less accuracy because of the throwing motion involved. I think the push putt is thrown with a straighter motion and a lot less spin in order to be able to putt harder and still have the putter land close to the basket if it misses.

Someone who knows for sure please enlighten us.

Inside Out: Possibly the same as a "Flip Putt" or "Butterfly" .

not too sure about that as Dave talks about throwing 300ft inside out shots.

heres a link to the interview
http://www.1000rated.com/?p=82

alt scott
even if your not 100% right on that one it sounds like a rad way of thinking, ive started a thread in the techniques section to question a bit more about the push putt.

Turbo Putt AKA - Push-Putt

Turbo Putt: Also known as a push putt - A grip/throwing style where the disc is held with the fingers on the rim of the disc and "pushed" with enough spin to carry to the target. The disc is held above the player's shoulders and is thrown much like a football. Most generally used for short shots and putting when there are tall objects between the lie and the target.

Source: http://www.qcdiscgolfclub.com/glossary.php

I read that interview with DF too, and the push putt he's referring to isn't a Turbo...I'm 99% sure he's talking about 2 differnet styles of normal "backhand" putting.

"Spin putt" refers to a putt released with a lot of spin on it...these tend to hyzer out more quickly and are typically fairly fast for a putt. If you watch people closely when they throw a spin putt, their hand is near the front or side of the disc upon release, which causes more spin.

"Push putt" refers to a putt that is thrown with very little spin with the hand closer to the back of the disc upon release. These typically will fly with more nose-down orientation (watch Avery Jenkins or Barry Schultz putt if you get the chance...great push-putt examples).

Ken Climo talking about spin versus push on his website...

" I want the disc to come out of my hand due to forward momentum, not spin. I want the weight shift to take over. It's easier to do a weight shift putt if you have a locked wrist. I line the disc up with my push foot, which is my left foot, and the pole. I get all three on a line. I'll push from the back of my left foot through my body on the line of the disc and extending to the pole. If you pitched a 5-pound weight from a barbell it wouldn't go left or right – it would go straight. And that's what I try and envision – I have a weight in my hand, not a Frisbee that's going to turn. You push the weight and the weight will go straight. The release is almost like you're extending your hand to make a handshake, not flipping or spinning too much. Obviously the disc has to have some spin but not much. You see a lot of potential aces fall out because of speed and spin. If the drives came in with less speed and spin they'd stick more. That's my goal with the putt, not so much less speed but less spin. When the disc hits the chains you don't want much action."

push putt

Ken Climo talking about spin versus push on his website...

" I line the disc up with my push foot, which is my left foot, and the pole. I get all three on a line."

Ok, so I have played three rounds using this specific advice in the last two days and my putting is incredibly more consistent. Also, it allows me to putt from longer distances. I don't know why I never lined up with my left leg but it definitely works! Thanks Rusty! (and Kenny :D)

the inside-out I believe DF is referring to is also known as an anhyzer in the disc golf world. ultimate players usually refer to that as inside out. ie the disc flying the opposite way of its normal flight pattern...inside out.

Latest posts