• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Aces 2017

4/2/17 First ace! From the short tees at my local course. Forehand buzz os. 120 ft.

4/30/17 Ace two! From the pro tees at my local course. Forehand destroyer. Island green 243 ft

5/5/17 Ace three! From the short tees at my local course. Forehand buzz os (same as above) 186 ft

I started playing disc golf last May! 3 aces in just over a month! :)

Hit my first ace on 4-22-17 on Hole 12 at Freedom Park in Valdosta, GA in the A position (180 ft sharp dogleg left around a mando right) with a Champ Firebird on a spike hyzer line. Hit during league handicaps and got $10 from my cardmates, and $210 from the ace pot. Unfortunately my club splits the pot when it gets to $250 for some reason. Also ended up being my best ever round at 10 down. If it had been a sanctioned round it probably would've been over 1050 (I'm rated 882) and we had just finished up a 2 month weekly PDGA league just 2 weeks before.

hole%205%20ace_zpsllzwqddp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hole 5 at Sertoma Field 273ft with water all down the left side and thick woods down the right. And forked trees in the fairway.

I threw my trusty overstable Innova Teerex RHFH to the left of the forked trees hoping for my typical 15 - 30 foot putt for birdie but instead it skipped right in!!! My farthest ace. And only forehand ace so far.

Hit my 3RD ACE today on Hole #6 again at Coker College with the same disc....Dynamic Disc Renegade

I aced hole 12 at Dellwood DGC last month and hole 10 yesterday at the same course

Attachments

• Larry ace 2.jpg
    Larry ace 2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Larry ace.jpg
    Larry ace.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 10
Now I think I understand how the pros feel.

I like playing club doubles when ever I can and this last Friday night was Kentwood Summer Doubles. This event has a 30 history and is special around here for the payouts which are discs. All the profits are put to charity.

Let me get to the point. I was playing with a guy named Jim Markoff, he has 40 years in the game and many of you know may him. We had a pretty average round. Jim was great and I was stinking it up. Jim stayed positive and reminded me at the last hole we needed to closeout 13 down just to hope for a spot in a throw off. Jim was correct we ended up in a throw off with 3 other teams. As thing worked out, Jim an I threw last. All the discs had landed 8-10 few from the basket with one thrower left, me. Everyone took the same line, straight at the basket on 210ft hole 1. Being a lefty I took the big hyzer line over the parking lot with a gallery of 50 or so spectators. This was my pro moment. I let it go, the line looked good, there were the normal comments and then the disc hit dead in the chains and the gallery exploded.... I think I now understand how it feels to make a big shot on a grand stage. I turned to the group, both hands in the air and soaked in the moment. I want to thank Jim Markoff(King of Kentwood) for making the moment possible.

I like playing club doubles when ever I can and this last Friday night was Kentwood Summer Doubles. This event has a 30 history and is special around here for the payouts which are discs. All the profits are put to charity.

Let me get to the point. I was playing with a guy named Jim Markoff, he has 40 years in the game and many of you know may him. We had a pretty average round. Jim was great and I was stinking it up. Jim stayed positive and reminded me at the last hole we needed to closeout 13 down just to hope for a spot in a throw off. Jim was correct we ended up in a throw off with 3 other teams. As thing worked out, Jim an I threw last. All the discs had landed 8-10 few from the basket with one thrower left, me. Everyone took the same line, straight at the basket on 210ft hole 1. Being a lefty I took the big hyzer line over the parking lot with a gallery of 50 or so spectators. This was my pro moment. I let it go, the line looked good, there were the normal comments and then the disc hit dead in the chains and the gallery exploded.... I think I now understand how it feels to make a big shot on a grand stage. I turned to the group, both hands in the air and soaked in the moment. I want to thank Jim Markoff(King of Kentwood) for making the moment possible.

Mad props to Jim Markov! He nicknamed me Fluke like 18 years ago.

So I've been learning disc golf, been playing twice a week for a month. May 3rd at maricopa meadows in Arizona I hit my first ace. 250footer, raised basket and took home $250. Also came in first place for singles league in the same day. Huge accomplishment and of course I super Mario jumped in the air! Wa-hoo!!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 19
First Florida Ace!

Hole 14 of Ferry Park with a 400G M4. Just a short little hyzer hole, but one I'll remember for a while

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 15

Shortest hole on the course and I've never even hit chains until this happened a few hours ago.

I witnessed fellow Charlottean Jeff White Ace hole 19 at black jack, May 20, 2017 about 330 feet. First throw, casual play, left handed. The disc slammed in hard, and we all 6 of us let out a heck of a cheer!

Valley view hole 17 I aced today with a 175 flat top pro starfire on a forehand, first ace ever! It was a 220 ft hole.

Last edited:
A little background: I started out as a forehand player, but have been backhand dominant for at least 7 years. Since I started trying to improve my backhand, I only rarely drove forehand. After a few years of this, my forehand form was gone. At this point I throw 95% backhand with forehand only used for get out of trouble shots.

Today I was playing The Canyons in Lockport, IL with my sons. Hole 5 is 225' from the red/white tee with a creek running down the entire left side of the fairway. You have to play a left to right shot to get to the green.
38d96881.jpg

I wanted to avoid the creek and the hole is short; so I decided to drive forehand. I was debating whether to throw from a standstill or do a runup. I grabbed my Pro Wraith since I wanted that driver fade. I decided to run up and at the last minute decided to give the Jenkins/McBeth windmill windup a try. I did a slow runup and snapped it out there, passing just to the left of the small trees on the right side of the fairway. The shot was only about 5' off the ground, but started fading a little past those trees. It hit the ground about 5' in front and slightly left of the basket and popped up and in. Most of the energy was absorbed by the ground; so it barely cleared the front of the cage and only tickled the chains. Such a luck shot, but it made my round. My soon to be 5 year old got to sign the ace disc. He had witnessed my last ace from a stroller as an almost 2 year old.

tldr - Ace #3 The Canyons Lockport, IL Hole 5 225' RHFH skip with a Pro Wraith

Finally...FINALLY...aced hole 8 short to red at Cap Springs.

Wide open, flat, maybe 160'ish. It's one of those I couldn't believe I hadn't aced yet. Normally I go for the hyzer shot but yesterday decided to just line my ultra beat Tank right at it. Pretty much looked in the whole way.

Threw a completely pure shot on the 252' hole 16 at Boone Woods last night in league. One of my cardmates said, "That was so good it couldn't have gone anywhere else but IN." Got the attention of the youngsters playing basketball on our right. My friend and opponent was the only one who was getting too quiet, knowing it made the difference in our round scores. He'll still win a few points in our handicap league, so it was a good night all around.
2a4ad5bd.jpg

Threw a completely pure shot on the 252' hole 16 at Boone Woods last night in league. One of my cardmates said, "That was so good it couldn't have gone anywhere else but IN." Got the attention of the youngsters playing basketball on our right. My friend and opponent was the only one who was getting too quiet, knowing it made the difference in our round scores. He'll still win a few points in our handicap league, so it was a good night all around.
:thmbup:... You guys have an ace pot for that?

...I am cursed. Have hit high chains twice in the last two months... I think I broke my 6(could be 5. Its been so long ago I don't remember when, lol.) year mark recently...:mad:

Last edited:
Yeah, a couple years ago I hit #18 at Winton for the very last throw of summer league. Tony gave me $15 merch from the club. We pay a whopping $15 per season to play leagues, & that includes merch for the top couple teams, any aces that are hit, & a couple of other prizes, 12 to 14 weeks of play, and a league meal/party at the end. Best value in competition, but not a place where you're gonna cash in big! :eek: