• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR API Addition

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just added the ability for app developers to submit scores directly to DGCR! If you have a favorite scoring app and want to see DGCR score submission integrated be sure to email the developers and let them know!

You can point them to this page for details: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/api.php

Already e-mailed EasyScorecard... :)

API will cost $.. kind of limit those free scorecard apps.

I don't know if it will be cost effective to have a subscription.. say I make a .99 disc golf app.. then subscribe.. sure get 1084 people to download it.. then after how many months I have to cut it off..

One time API vs monthly may get more interest.

Submitting scores is free. It's only if you want to pull data that there is a subscription (which isn't really that expensive). The reason you have to pay for that part of the API is I'm just trying to cover my butt if some app suddenly gets insanely popular and I'm dealing with tens of thousands of requests per day.

Has anyone heard back from any developers regarding this addition? Timg any chance the ability to upload a .csv to the scorecard would be added to the site?

No plans for the ability too import csv. I don't really want to mess with figuring out how each app out there formats the files it exports.

CSV's could be standardized to your format.... Simply provide the requirements.. smart folks out there can figure out how to convert to your requirement

CSV's could be standardized to your format.... Simply provide the requirements.. smart folks out there can figure out how to convert to your requirement
True... but if you're modifying the file then why not just enter your score, it would probably be less time consuming. You'd still have to choose a course, tee, etc. after import anyway.

good point... unless you have to do it a bunch.. but maybe that isn't a realistic thing here

I tend to like functionality available even if it isn't super matured just yet.. so for this case, being able to utilize a CSV is better than not at all... it may come to pass that people up the demand for this and you are thusly motivated to mature the spec so that less manipulation is required...

good point... unless you have to do it a bunch.. but maybe that isn't a realistic thing here

I tend to like functionality available even if it isn't super matured just yet.. so for this case, being able to utilize a CSV is better than not at all... it may come to pass that people up the demand for this and you are thusly motivated to mature the spec so that less manipulation is required...
I think app developers should just use the free score submission functionality :)

I think just the fact that you are making this is very interesting...

now if you can recommend to me some SharePoint developers, Architects or even .net developers I'd be beside myself :)

I think we're moving outside my scope at this point :)

I am contemplating compiling an ios app.. but have a question..
Submitting scores is free.. but to submit scores, you need to include [course name, holes played, and which tees] which needs to be pulled from the site, since it cannot be cached. That data request would be part of the subscription?

Second you cannot cache the data, so I can't make an offline mode to store scores, and then allow them to submit later when on wifi?

course id is optional (course name is not one of the variables). Holes played doesn't need to be pulled from the site, that's just the number of holes the person played. The required fields are indicated in the documentation.

As for the caching thing, that only applies to certain data pulled from the site. Scores entered by users into your app don't fall under that definition so you can send the scores to the site in whatever manner you wish.

As timg said, you don't need to pull any information to submit a score. If you want the score to reference a course then you will need to pull a list of courses to get the course's id. If you want a user to be able to pick a course when not connected to the internet, save course information on the device when the user is connected. The user could also save their scores to the device when offline and then when they have an internet connection they can pick from a list of courses to submit the score for.

Nice job, timg!

Ok found it.. I was looking under Terms of Use which says
5. Restrictions

You agree that you will not, and will not assist or enable others to:

cache, record, pre-fetch, or otherwise store any portion of the DGCourseReview Content, or attempt or provide a means to execute any "bulk download" operations;
I find now where it shows in API Display Requirements
Exceptions to prohibitions:
You may store hole information and certain course information (dgcr id, name, city, state and country) on a user's mobile device. It may not be stored in a central database.

I should probably move that section to the Terms of Use.

Rather than make a new thread, I'll just post here and say the API is back along with a new "pro" version. If it's something you're interested you'll find the link in the footer.

Latest posts