• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Current Top 10 Personal Rating

Some of these players need more games for the winning percentages to be statistically significant.

Some of these players need more games for the winning percentages to be statistically significant.

i would add that little assumptions can be made from the chart on hawk hollow, caliber and bucksnort. I think all 3 had only been played by 2 respondents. better conclusions can be drawn when its been compared ten times or so. or when is 6 to 0.

I have an inkling that if maple hill were included, it would shoot up towards the top.

Last edited:
My goodness! Shyguy isn't shy about travelling around the country to play the best of the best! I like your priorities. If there was a thread about percentage of courses played to top 25 courses, you'd probably be in the lead.

I would rank the ones I've played as follows:

Harmony Bends
Rollin Ridge
Harmon Hills
Idlewild
Selah Lakeside
Bucksnort
Flip City
Blue Ribbon Pines

I really enjoyed Moraine and would slot it in at #3 personally. I would also put Bailey in my top 10 somewhere.

My goodness! Shyguy isn't shy about travelling around the country to play the best of the best! I like your priorities. If there was a thread about percentage of courses played to top 25 courses, you'd probably be in the lead.

His courses played list is littered with big hitters:

Beaver Ranch
Phantom Falls
Hobbs Farm
Fairfield
Lemon Lake Silver/Gold
Lemon Lake Red before ash borer killed it
Lincoln Ridge
Leviathan
Beauty
Beast
Vision Quest before it went downhill
Water Works
The Lodge (both courses)
Deer Lakes
Panther Creek
Trey Texas Ranch (both courses)

That's a LOT of courses that easily make top 10 (if not too 5) in their state. Especially for only 90 some courses played.

Either shyguy's doing cherry picking right, or maybe he just hasn't been to concerned with marking every course he's played.

Either way, looks like he's hitting the very best any area he visits has to offer.
Well done, sir!

Last edited:
His courses played list is littered with big hitters:

Vision Quest before it went downhill

I had that on my short list for a WI/MN trip this summer. Saw one review that trashed it, but a few more from 2018/19 that still were high on it.

Just curious, how long ago did you play, and is it as bad as the 2021 review says?

I had that on my short list for a WI/MN trip this summer. Saw one review that trashed it, but a few more from 2018/19 that still were high on it.

Just curious, how long ago did you play, and is it as bad as the 2021 review says?

I played it in Aug 2019, and it was in good shape, with really great water holes. Had I reviewed courses on that trip, I'd have said:

Vallarta Ast: 3.5
Kaposia: 4.0
Bryant Lake: 4.5
Moir: 2.0
BRP: 4.5
VQ: 4.0
Heistand: 4.0

I'd think someone local to the Minneapolis area could give you a pretty good idea of what the current situation is at VQ.

That last review on VQ gives me pause also. The reviewer, Rob Martin, is a somewhat big name here around KC as a TD and course designer. For this reason I trust his review. As a result I am eyeing the three courses about 40mi north called Chains Edge.

I haven't been to VQ recently. However, it's my understanding that it's been relatively neglected for a few years although people can still play it. Maybe someone who has actually been to VQ will check-in to confirm. Regardless, Chains Edge is unlikely to disappoint and is actively being improved each year.

That last review on VQ gives me pause also. The reviewer, Rob Martin, is a somewhat big name here around KC as a TD and course designer. For this reason I trust his review. As a result I am eyeing the three courses about 40mi north called Chains Edge.

Chain's Edge is an excellent complex. I'd highly recommend it. We played all 3 last April and they did not disappoint. I'd love to see it in the summer.

T1 (but for this exercise, 1). Idlewild
T1 (but for this exercise, 2). Harmony Bends
3. Bucksnort
4. Harmon Hills

...though those are not quite my top four overall.

I think it comes down to taste. I like the defined fairway feel of Idlewild and Harmony more than the rustic, backyard feel of Harmon.

If we expand it to the Top 19

I've only played Idlewild in the top 10.

If we expand it to the top 19, though.... still only 3. :|

#1 Moraine (#16 on DGCR)
#2 Idlewild (#6 on DGCR)
#3 Deer Lakes (#19 on DGCR)

Moraine and Idlewild are my clear #1-2. Deer Lakes might make my Top 10. And how long has it been since The Woodshed and Whippin' Post have fallen off the map?

Latest posts