• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Player Rating vs. reality

What JT is saying is that he believes all rounds that are not sanctioned are classified as casual rounds and do not matter.

He believes a PDGA rating after only 1 round is more valid then a DGCR rating in which 12 are needed. That is my problem with PDGA rating they are sort of meaningless for most players unless they have played in 12 rounds (which I believe is too small of a sample in the first place).

It all comes down to what YOU make of the rating you use.

Next year I'll be an Advanced Senior Grandmaster which ROCKS!! I would love to get in a tournament even though I totally suck. Have to figure out how to find one!

Or perhaps he's saying that PDGA ratings matter because they have an actual effect beyond entertainment---they can determine which divisions you're eligible to compete in.

DGCR ratings are strictly for entertainment, which is not a bad thing. Though I suppose you could use them to create handicaps, of a sort.

I'd certainly agree with "It all comes down to what YOU make of the rating you use."

There's a significant difference from tournament play and casual play for most players.

I knew of a player with a PDGA rating of 445. Presumably someone could have such a rating with DGCR, if he dared to enter scores.

At a non-sanctioned event at Stoney Hill, two people shot scores that, if they'd been shot in the sanctioned tournament a week before and if points-per-stroke was linear (which I assume it's not), I figured would have been a rating of 8.

In the wide spectrum of disc golfers, "who knows" is a fine estimate.

Actually I'm pretty sure the points per stroke is linear. I believe the formula uses ssa = rated 1000 and ssa x 2 = rated 500. So if ssa is 50 then a round of 100 is rated 500 and that's where you get the 10 points per stroke. if ssa is 48 then a 96 is a 500 rated round and you have 10.42 points per stroke. I'm just retro fitting the formula to match the results but it seems to hold true. To address the question on how bad you'd have to shoot to get a negative round I think anything worse than 3 x ssa should get you a negative rating.

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty sure the points per stroke is linear. I believe the formula uses ssa = rated 1000 and ssa x 2 = rated 500. So if ssa is 50 then a round of 100 is rated 500 and that's where you get the 10 points per stroke. if ssa is 48 then a 96 is a 500 rated round and you have 10.42 points per stroke. I'm just retro fitting the formula to match the results but it seems to hold true. To address the question on how bad you'd have to shoot to get a negative round I think anything worse than 3 x ssa should get you a negative rating.

^So simple, it actually makes sense. He just might be on to something here...

There's a significant difference from tournament play and casual play for most players.

This is very true, it's all how you play. I agree. If you are comparing you can not compare PDGA ratings to DGCR ratings. But you can compare DGCR to DGCR and PDGA to PDGA.

Next year I'll be an Advanced Senior Grandmaster which ROCKS!! I would love to get in a tournament even though I totally suck. Have to figure out how to find one!

Yeah well good luck with that. I'll be Senior Grandmaster next year too and around here we have a pretty slim grandmasters pool. A half dozen maybe, but we have a good time. You'd probably have to play a major tourney to see a senior GM division.

Last edited:

^This. I have only entered rounds on here since they started doing the ratings. I don't have enough rounds in yet to get an official DGCR rating(a lot of my rounds recently have been doubles, or league rounds where we only play 18 out of 27 so I can't get a rated round) But I guarantee that when I finally have an official DGCR rating, it will be significantly higher then my PDGA rating. For some reason, as soon as it starts to really matter, I always shoot worse then normal. Sanctioned tournament rounds are a different beast mentally.

Yeah well good luck with that. I'll be Senior Grandmaster next year too and around here we have a pretty slim grandmasters pool. A half dozen maybe, but we have a good time. You'd probably have to play a major tourney to see a senior GM division.

That's unfortunate. I was hoping to win if only I was in it. LOL

Is there somewhere on this site to see a breakdown of the group's ratings? Or of PDGA ratings?

I'd like to see the spread.

You mean DGCR ratings v. PDGA ratings? I don't think there is, but I could certainly be wrong.

FWIW, my DGCR v. PDGA ratings are 907 v. 907. Pretty wild.

I wanted to know the spread on this site. Maybe something like that?
Just curious is all.

I stopped playing pdga stuff in 2012 and was rated 906 or 908, I don't remember which it was. Here I have been trying to be as honest as possible as of late entering any and all rounds that I play whether good or bad. I've been hanging in the 937-942 range as of late with it dropping to 937 yesterday with a couple rounds at dinker 9 holers bringing it down. The 9 hole courses kill your rating or give you a great rating on here. I've added more consistent distance the last couple years bringing my average drives from 300 to 340-350 range. My max before was 375 or so, now my best ones get to 400 but it is the consistent range to reach 350 ft holes that has changed it for me. If I played a entire season of pdga I'd guess I would be in the 930 area.

PDGA 935
DGCR 929

However, my PDGA rating is from just one tournament and 36 holes.

My DGCR rating is most rounds that I've played for the last several years... the good, the bad and the ugly!

I've recorded 396 total rounds on DGCR. Of those, 190 or nearly half are, from my own course, Knobley Mt. DGC. I feel that the DGCR ratings are a little low compared to what they would be with PDGA ratings. So add a few points and they're basically the same.

I've also improved over the last couple of years since my tourney, so it would be interesting to see what I could do now.

Necro!!!

I just went to my profile for the first time since the update...I noticed my DGCR player rating is listed. I haven't accumulated too many rounds on the app as I don't track patterns etc. I review my rounds mentally and go from there. It currently shows I'm 1000+ which isn't accurate these days (used to be much better).

Has the formula changed since this thread was created? Should I just accept I look better than MattyO or PmB on paper?

Latest posts