• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Reviews

Throbbert

Not sure if this is the place for this.

I feel from reading reviews and seeing the; "Are they helpful scores" that people who love the course disagree with your review they downvote even if it is an informative review about the course that is helpful.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not really posting this about my reviews as I have really posted any in two or three years, but just a general thought looking across reviews of local courses in my area.

are you saying that locals only want great reviews?

Don't sweat the thumbs.

Some of the downthumbs are for hollow reviews, some are for rating courses lower than the reader thinks you should, some are for something in the review to which someone takes offense.....and some are simply inexplicable.

I have tons of thumbs down. I have enough that it keeps me from being a trusted reviewer even though I qualify otherwise. I think a lot has to do with ratings and people who don't agree with your #. I write what I think are very informative but concise reviews but many people seem to not like them lol.

I downthumb all your reviews, but I won't tell you why.

I've suspected it...

Can honestly say that I've never downthumbed anyone b/c I didn't like them online or IRL...

I may have downthumbed b/c of the lack of the oxford comma or some such reason as this...

j/k

Last edited:
I have tons of thumbs down. I have enough that it keeps me from being a trusted reviewer even though I qualify otherwise. I think a lot has to do with ratings and people who don't agree with your #. I write what I think are very informative but concise reviews but many people seem to not like them lol.

Short reviews get thumbs down, I suspect. You also may have not received enough unique thumbs.

I need an option so that I can downtumb all of Stardoggy's downthumbings of Noill's reviews...is that available yet in DGCR??

I'll downthumb your downthumb of my downthumb.

Ball is in your court, rusty robot.

I've suspected it...

Can honestly say that I've never downthumbed anyone b/c I didn't like them online or IRL...

I may have downthumbed b/c of the lack of the oxford comma or some such reason as this...

j/k

I barely ever downthumb, unless it's something completely crazy or lazy.

I barely ever downthumb, unless it's something completely crazy or lazy.

yeah, me too... it takes exceptional laziness or the like to get a down thumb out of me...

The thing of it is that generally there is a reviewer in your area that you trust. Just use your usual B$ detector and pick out who writes reviews that make sense to you and give you the feel of the course in question.

I use reviews for travel. If a review is providing a comprehensive, holistic presentation of the course experience....thumbs up. If a solid review, with a low rating is turned in for a course I love.....thumbs up. I usually reserve any thumbs down for incomplete reviews that offer little or basic information covered a dozen times in reviews below it.

I've had to stop myself from down voting bad reviews of courses I'm way too close to (meaning I'm involved with installing them or maintaining them). So I know that it happens.

My most popular review is for a really popular course that I liked a lot. My least popular is for a popular course I thought was over rated (I've been out there since and was probably over harsh on it my first time through, may need to re write that one). Then I have reviews for courses off the beaten path, and nobody ups or downs those. I've reviewed a bunch of courses where no reviews from anyone have more than four votes, so it's taking me forever to get to 100 up votes.

Pretty much what's being said here. Only downvote the "good course. nice stuff. done." reviews. If you take more than 3 minutes, give a little thought and some information, I'm happy. However, I have also gotten several downvotes on a well-thought review simply because it's a popular course that I had some negative feedback on. But, oh well. It's the internet. Who gives a snot?

Hmmmmm.

Am I missing something here. I may have been doing it wrong all along. I thought the question you were supposed to answer was, "do you find the review helpful." I can answer that "yes" or "thumbs up" even if I disagree with the rating or the comments. Have I been doing it right?

I've given thousands and thousands of up votes for reviews, because, well, that's the foundation of this website. If you make an effort to provide helpful information, I'm willing to reward that effort. I've given only a handful of down votes, when someone was being intentionally hurtful or so far off base as to be misleading. But if the review is just 'meh', and not helpful, I'd rather just pass it by without a vote (and that too happens from time to time).

ps: yep, I believe in answering the question 'was this review helpful' :thmbup:, and am sometimes puzzled when folks seem to be responding to a different question.

Not sure if this is the place for this.

I feel from reading reviews and seeing the; "Are they helpful scores" that people who love the course disagree with your review they downvote even if it is an informative review about the course that is helpful.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not really posting this about my reviews as I have really posted any in two or three years, but just a general thought looking across reviews of local courses in my area.

there is truth to that. if you want upvotes, give a course a score 1/2 to 1 disc above it's average.

it should be no surprise to reveal that people like reading that the things they like are good.

but there are a lot of people here that give upvotes to what they think is actually helpful and i waould say the problem you mentioned is less prevalent here than in most parts of the net

DGCR members are people.
Not all people vote rationally.
∴ not all DGCR votes are made rationally.

Many a useful review has received more than it's fair share of negative votes. That's life.
Personally, I find it more irritating crap reviews with essentially no (or bogus) content get a bunch :thmbup:'s.

Writing reviews is more like politics than I ever realized. :doh: :\

DGCR members are people.
Not all people vote rationally.
∴ not all DGCR votes are made rationally.

Many a useful review has received more than it's fair share of negative votes. That's life.
Personally, I find it more irritating crap reviews with essentially no (or bogus) content get a bunch :thmbup:'s.

Writing reviews is more like politics than I ever realized. :doh: :\

Welcome to DGCR. Vote for thrembo!!!

honestly i dont give the reviews that much of a thought anymore , I have seen 2 star courses rated 4+ for no reason. I have seen course designers use this website to inflate a courses rating they designed just to help their resume. There is a disc golfer that is very pedantic that will down vote your review if he does not agree with it.

honestly i dont give the reviews that much of a thought anymore , I have seen 2 star courses rated 4+ for no reason. I have seen course designers use this website to inflate a courses rating they designed just to help their resume. There is a disc golfer that is very pedantic that will down vote your review if he does not agree with it.

disagree. a disc golfer that was pedantic would downvote you for not following the ground rules as stated, or possibly because you did not live up to the criteria listed under "what makes a good review" or perhaps even for grammatical mistakes. the pedantic reader would not care so much if your opinion agreed with his.