• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Reviews

The responses I see in this thread just exemplify why I don't write too many reviews anymore. Too many people with their own personal connotations of what the ground rules are. I suppose I have mine too.

I used to get a few down thumbs for my reviews and got flustered for a bit. However, I only write reviews only when I've checked off everything off of my checklist that I feel are pertinent points for the course. Most of these points are things that IMO all disc golfers would like to know, whether beginner or seasoned vet. It's because of this information that I know people will be more inclined to give a thumbs up.

When I thumb someone, it's always a thumbs up. Short reviews with no meat, don't get my time at all.

People have different expectations. I try and judge by what would be a challenge for advanced or Pro players. However, I've seen reviews of courses I play locally that clearly come from a recreational or at most intermediate perspective. Perhaps DGCR could pull player ratings from the PDGA to add to player reviews?

Having just started reviewing here, maybe I am not in a position to offer an opinion. That being said, however, I feel that reviewing courses should be a significant part of what is done here or we should perhaps change the name of the website to something more pertinent. If the website is to do what the name implies, more people should review, more people should rate reviews based on how helpful they are, people who rate reviews might be required to comment on why they voted up or down (sort of a review of the review, I guess), etc., or we could do away with the reviews entirely and simply have a rate button, pictures, maps, etc.

I like this website and this community and while I am not a particularly eloquent person and I often feel that my reviews and many others cover ground already trodden in preceding reviews, I do my best to be fair and accurate and hope that others do, too.

People have different expectations. I try and judge by what would be a challenge for advanced or Pro players. However, I've seen reviews of courses I play locally that clearly come from a recreational or at most intermediate perspective. Perhaps DGCR could pull player ratings from the PDGA to add to player reviews?

Sometimes it's good when a reviewer reviews his skill level---"I've only been playing 2 months" or "The water carries are tough for people like me, who only throw 200'." But you can't make an assumption by player rating---I'm 888, but have been playing 20 years and played with enough 1000-rated players to see how a course plays for them.

But it if matters to you, it's often included in the reviewer's profile.

There is no standard that courses should be rated and reviewed by how they play for advanced or pro players. It's a consensus of the community, and that includes beginners and weak players. We affect ratings in proportion to our numbers.

Besides, if you read a review about how tough a course is, and the next two reviews refer to it as a putter course, you pretty well know the perspective of the first reviewer.

...I often feel that my reviews and many others cover ground already trodden in preceding reviews, I do my best to be fair and accurate and hope that others do, too.
There's value in a recent review even if it only reiterates what most of the previous reviews have said. It can indicate how a course has held up over time. Factors like erosion, trees lost to storms/disease, general traffic take a bigger toll on some courses than others.

There's value in a recent review even if it only reiterates what most of the previous reviews have said. It can indicate how a course has held up over time. Factors like erosion, trees lost to storms/disease, general traffic take a bigger toll on some courses than others.

A good point! I always update course conditions, even if I don't review, so I feel that is helpful also, though, obviously, not as helpful as a full review. I have only reviewed a few courses because I have only played a few courses but, yeah, as you say, a recent review, even one that basically covers things already mentioned is valuable due to it being current.

You should be able to rate a course without leaving a review. It's clear that concise bullet point reviews are not welcomed on this site, so unless you have time to right a short story then you're not able to even offer a rating on the course. Nobody reads every single review anyways, they all regurgitate the same exact touch points. Given the option between reading 10, 3 page reviews, or seeing a course rating generated from averaging 100 ratings, I'll take the latter every time. If you want to weight the ratings accompanied by a well received review, go for it.

Sure. I bet you downvoted me on Macatawa/Paw Paw. ;)

To reiterate some more, I would much rather have 10 reviews that are 2000 words than 300 reviews that have 3 bullet points with no additional information.

I would rather read reviews that give a feel for the true positives and negatives of courses rather than, "It's amazing" and, "it's a long walk." If a reviewer posted on my favorite course in the world, but took their time and constructively thought about their key points, that's still a plus.

Also, to actually add to this post's conversation more;
Whenever I post a new review, after seeing the course, I try to go through a few pages of reviews and give some feedback. If I'm looking at a course I've never played before, I always give feedback to the most informative reviews. That's the biggest help in the world when I'm going to a new area.

Last edited:
More or less, I enjoy writing a review about a course to relive the round played there, as well as pass along any tidbits about said course I may have not seen mentioned before.

I'd say if you're simply in it for the thumbs up, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

I agree, I do it to remember the course after the fact. Like a digital memory album.

I loved playing almost all of them. And want to remember the rest for the experiences I had there or things I might have otherwise forgotten.

My thumbs are mostly good like 150/30 but that's not why I do it.

My favorite is when people give a hole-by-hole analysis of the entire course, like that's really interesting or anybody wants to read 18+ paragraphs to see if a course is worth visiting. I get if you really liked or disliked certain holes, but it's completely stupid to try to describe every single detail of a golf course.

It's like trying to describe music to someone else. Well, it's kind of green and uphill and then it takes a bend to the right, and dips down flat before reaching another apex, then the vocals come in...

My favorite is when people give a hole-by-hole analysis of the entire course, like that's really interesting or anybody wants to read 18+ paragraphs to see if a course is worth visiting.

At first I missed the sarcasm. I've been trying to mention maybe 5-10 holes that give a feel for the course. Sometimes that's probably already too much. As for the previous discussion, I'm probably a bit too generous on my numbers sometimes, which might explain why I don't have tons of down-thumbs.

One of the things that makes me question reviews is when the reviewer has only played the course once. I see reposado has posted here, and I really like his reviews of courses in my area (south Miami), even though he has only played once. There are others, however, who will rank a course very low because they got lost the first time they played. Yes I think bad navigation is worth a lower rating, but I like to think we've all had the experience of a course growing on us the more we've played it.

My point: I personally prefer to have played a course numerous times before I review it, so I have a better idea of conditions (traffic, weather, bugs) and the challenge factor (i.e. the types of shots that are demanded or allowed).

At first I missed the sarcasm. I've been trying to mention maybe 5-10 holes that give a feel for the course.

I think it depends on the course. Are there 5-10 notable holes? Then definitely. I generally think 2-3 is a good number to try to hit

One of the things that makes me question reviews is when the reviewer has only played the course once. I see reposado has posted here, and I really like his reviews of courses in my area (south Miami), even though he has only played once. There are others, however, who will rank a course very low because they got lost the first time they played. Yes I think bad navigation is worth a lower rating, but I like to think we've all had the experience of a course growing on us the more we've played it.

My point: I personally prefer to have played a course numerous times before I review it, so I have a better idea of conditions (traffic, weather, bugs) and the challenge factor (i.e. the types of shots that are demanded or allowed).

I think one of the best things for the site is to have reviews from different perspectives. Some from regulars. Others from first-timers. Some who played in perfect condition. Some who caught a bad day. etc

I like reviewing after the first play for two reasons. One is that I rarely play a course a second time. But the other is that I'm writing reviews for someone who has not played the course before and I want to tell them about the experience they will have as a new player.

I think one of the best things for the site is to have reviews from different perspectives. Some from regulars. Others from first-timers. Some who played in perfect condition. Some who caught a bad day. etc

Very true. The different perspectives are valuable. I suppose the regulars might tend to inflate numbers, and travel players might tend to bring the numbers down.

At first I missed the sarcasm. I've been trying to mention maybe 5-10 holes that give a feel for the course. Sometimes that's probably already too much. As for the previous discussion, I'm probably a bit too generous on my numbers sometimes, which might explain why I don't have tons of down-thumbs.

Yea, I think I get a lot of thumbs down because I generally try to be concise and I include amenities, which people don't like in reviews. Well, I think having benches and trash cans etc. really contributes to the enjoyment of a course. Also I tend to hate on thickets of thorns and overgrowth, which Simsbury DGC has in spades (although it is a nice course otherwise).

I will rate a course after playing it once just to give my two cents. For instance, I played Tyler State Park in PA which was hands down the best course I've ever played. I may not return there for a long time, but I had to write a review because it was awesome. Admittedly it was not the best review since we had to leave early and only played about 14 holes, but damn it was nice. Hoping to return to Idlewild sometime soon. We went on the hottest day of the year so it was tough. Speaking of which, don't go outside today. Hot, too hot, says Dark Helmet.

I like writing the reviews but just don't have the time to do them all. I prefer to play a course a few times to get a better overall picture of the course. I like to watch others play my courses so I can see what holes need improvements for all skill levels. Sure my course would play better for you if I cut that 200 year oak down but I gotta draw a line somewhere :)

. Well, I think having benches and trash cans etc. really contributes to the enjoyment of a course.

Another reason why multiple perspectives are valuable. I don't care about either of these and would never mention them.

I never sit during a round and carry out the same two water bottles I carry in and refill them for the next round.

But it is good that some are mentioning them

More or less, I enjoy writing a review about a course to relive the round played there, as well as pass along any tidbits about said course I may have not seen mentioned before.

I'd say if you're simply in it for the thumbs up, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Best post B3nder's ever made.

I never sit during a round and carry out the same two water bottles I carry in and refill them for the next round.
Really? You don't want to sit down for a minute after lugging a bag of discs and drinks and throwing long bombs in the heat? You must be much stronger than I am :D

I can deal without some amenities on the course, but I think not having trash cans just causes people to litter. Benches don't matter so much when you can sit on the ground. Water fountains are always nice when you run out of water. I tend to sweat a lot.

Latest posts