• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR v UDisc Rating

I completely agree with the thumbs up and down. Then they can say "91% of players gave a thumbs up" or something. I think that is more meaningful than every course being between 4 and 5 stars.

I kind of like the idea of a thumbs up/thumbs down system, but I think that would lead to even more disgruntled course designers wondering why a reviewer gave their course a thumbs down.

I think Netflix now has 3 review options: thumbs down, thumbs up, & two thumbs up.

My personal choice for a rating system would be 1-10 with the ability to give 1/2 marks such as 7.5.

Isn't it more difficult to be anonymous on UDisc than on DGCR? Anonymity provides cover for more "honest" reviews although it also allows more "drive by" negative reviews.

how isnt udisc anonymous
It's less so at least on a local basis if you play in leagues or events where scoring is done in the app and PDGA number sometimes used for login. Course owners/designers are also likely to know the handles of active locals who play their courses regularly and post scores and reviews that are reported to course ambassadors. Just saying that thinly veiled anonymity can result in higher ratings. Some locals will not provide a neutral or negative rating at all due to a course owner's popularity and not bring down their average rating. I don't do public ratings on private courses in particular since it's their property to do what they wish. I will occasionally make suggestions for improvement directly with the owner, but not publicly in writing.

This was exactly my experience too. I really liked a park niner, and the designer seemed upset when I gave it a 3 (it's nine baskets in a park, dammit. Sure, one of them is hanging, but come on...).

I'm reminded of my experience a couple years ago when a new but mediocre niner was receiving tons of 5.0 ratings on UDisc. I drove a couple hours to play it, was disappointed, wrote a lengthy DGCR review and rated it a 1.0.

When I wrote a few sentences on UDisc, including rating it a 1.5 and writing that it was a "fairly monotonous and uninteresting design," the course administrators/designers deleted my review. Twice.

However, the course got pulled a few months later. So karma won. :)

It's less so at least on a local basis if you play in leagues or events where scoring is done in the app and PDGA number sometimes used for login. Course owners/designers are also likely to know the handles of active locals who play their courses regularly and post scores and reviews that are reported to course ambassadors. Just saying that thinly veiled anonymity can result in higher ratings. Some locals will not provide a neutral or negative rating at all due to a course owner's popularity and not bring down their average rating. I don't do public ratings on private courses in particular since it's their property to do what they wish. I will occasionally make suggestions for improvement directly with the owner, but not publicly in writing.

oh i forgot people actually keep score

youre right and i think you can link profiles or whatever

i really need to get up to speed with udisc it clearly has some relative advanced features

and absolutely agreed that can influence rating

I'm reminded of my experience a couple years ago when a new but mediocre niner was receiving tons of 5.0 ratings on UDisc. I drove a couple hours to play it, was disappointed, wrote a lengthy DGCR review and rated it a 1.0.

When I wrote a few sentences on UDisc, including rating it a 1.5 and writing that it was a "fairly monotonous and uninteresting design," the course administrators/designers deleted my review. Twice.

However, the course got pulled a few months later. So karma won. :)

I wasn't aware Udisc course 'owners' could simply delete unwanted reviews. So in theory, they could delete any rating below a '5'? Maybe that is one reason the average reviews are higher...

I've never read a Udisc review before, nor do I think I ever will. Maybe this will change?

EDIT: I'll use it for scorekeeping

I posted a version of this in the other UDisc (I don't understand UDisc ratings) thread, but I'm posting here in case someone doesn't read both.

In the vast majority of situations, people don't use anywhere near the entire range of scores/ratings, so DGCR is an exception in that regard. I have never given a 0 or a 5, but I have given plenty of 0.5s and a few 4.5s. My family has a property we rent out through several sites; the rating scale is 1-5, but any rating below 4 is deemed a disaster, so in practice, the rating score is really 4-5 or perhaps 3-5. Completely different scenario (but sports related): Boxing judging uses a 10-point must system where the winner of a round receives 10 points and the loser gets less; in theory, rounds could be 10-1 or 10-2; in practice, 10-8 is considered a thrashing where the loser barely avoided being knocked out, and I've never seen a score as lopsided as 10-7. The same idea exists in gymnastics and figure skating. When was the last time you heard or saw a score below 9 (no matter the number of mistakes or falls) on a 10-point scale?

Leon Edwards scored some questionable 10-8s against Kamaru;) (I agree he won)

UFC should not use the boxing 10point must system!

Last edited:
This is sort of stating the obvious, but there's no standard criteria for applying ratings. People naturally score based on factors they think are important, for example:

~ challenge
~ variety
~ beauty
~ upkeep
~ fun
~ amenities

I could make the argument for any of these being considerations, but I'm probably going to weigh their relative value different than you. And come out with a different score.

Numbers are meaningless if they're not explained, and when rating courses there's no universal "explainer." A 5 point scale isn't more useful than a 3 point scale. A 10 point scale with half-point scores gives the appearance of being more precise ("it's not a 5 or a 6 - it's a 5.5"), but that's useless to me unless I understand your scoring criteria.

DGCR has some partial workarounds - (trusted reviewers, course rating distribution charts), but the strength of the site is in the reviews, and not the ratings. uDisc's reviews are demonstrably less useful (they're really just comments, not reviews). And the ratings are completely useless, because you have no idea what's behind them.

Maybe we should help out uDisc by adding "reviews" that point people to DGCR! If nothing else, I might begin closing my short reviews with "see more at dgcoursereview.com"

I've never read a Udisc review before, nor do I think I ever will. Maybe this will change?

"Awesome. Loved it." (5.0)
"Make sure you bring bug spray!" (5.0)

2 actual UDisc reviews of Sandy Point in Wisconsin which is rated 4.8 in Udisc, 4.34 here.

The majority of "reviews" are 1 sentence. The majority of ratings are 5.0 as well for decent courses.

One thing I've noticed about U-Disc ratings/reviews are that people often to rate courses based on how happy they are that the course exists, rather than how good, challenging, balanced, or fun the course actually is.

Hence a typical park style niner, where 2/3 of the holes fall in the 225-325 ft range, gets 5.0's. Why?

Because in the same amount of time it takes them just to drive to the nearest truly quality course, they can get to this niner, play a round or two, and still make it back home in time for the ball game. So they "LOVE IT! 5.0"

But they only love it because it's 15 min from home. Bet they'd see it differently if they had to drive an hour to play it.

IMO, drive time shouldn't affect ratings at all.

Or overrate it just because it's the newest course, and they're super excited to play it.

Last edited:
I'm a course admin on uDisc (I mapped a new course and they automatically made me the admin) so let me see what I'm capable of seeing and doing...
Ok, first attachment: Pretty awesome. I can see the average and standard deviation of every hole on the course. Not sure if this data is available to the public, but if it isn't it should be.

Next observation: It doesn't seem possible to actually delete reviews as the course admin. Anyone with uDisc can flag a review, which I'm sure happens often but I don't think the course designer can delete reviews on their own.

For the record, here's the course I'm an admin on. It is most definitely not a 3.6 course.
https://udisc.com/courses/liberty-woods-m8Wk
I'd argue the 2.75 on dgcr is a touch closer to reality, though I'd likely call it a 2-2.5
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12478

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 12
It doesn't seem possible to actually delete reviews as the course admin. Anyone with uDisc can flag a review, which I'm sure happens often but I don't think the course designer can delete reviews on their own.

That seems accurate. Perhaps my negative review on UDisc a couple years ago was flagged or the course designers/admin requested it be removed or maybe the admin powers changed.

Sounds like UDisc has made improvements in that area, so that's encouraging.

That seems accurate. Perhaps my negative review on UDisc a couple years ago was flagged or the course designers/admin requested it be removed or maybe the admin powers changed.

Sounds like UDisc has made improvements in that area, so that's encouraging.

uDisc team have been very responsive to my requests to change things on courses that I don't have admin rights to, like:

changing from "object course" to baskets (they seem to default list a lot of new courses as object courses)

changing cart-friendly to not cart-friendly after I play the course and tell them it's not cart-friendly IMO

removing photos that don't include course features or that show people (they remove pictures of people due to privacy laws). There's one guy here in the NE who includes his dog in every picture -those are "legal" if they clearly show the hole layout or features. Most of them do, but they get a little tiring after a few dozen on the same course (OK I get it - you have a dog that accompanies you when you play disc golf...)

Latest posts