• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR v UDisc Rating

Ahildy13... Yeah but how many people are browsing reviews without posting their own, up-voting or down-voting?
Just using it as a resource without participating...
I browsed reviews for years without realizing I could up-vote or down-vote them. Kinda feel like an idiot but don't think I'm alone.

Ahildy13... Yeah but how many people are browsing reviews without posting their own, up-voting or down-voting?
Just using it as a resource without participating...
I browsed reviews for years without realizing I could up-vote or down-vote them. Kinda feel like an idiot but don't think I'm alone.

Yeah I went to the "Course Feed" page as well, it's slightly more active, like 4 updates since 10/18 more active...

Maybe there is a large number of people just browsing course reviews... but why not just go play? I can see people using the reviews if they are traveling to a new location, but how many of us are doing that regularly?

I'll admit I have never looked at any course reviews on DGCR. I'm mostly here to learn from other peoples experience and knowledge.

I am an avid UDisc user (mostly for scoring, course navigation, and current conditions) and honestly I don't really look at the reviews there either.

Generally speaking, most reviews no matter what the review is for (courses, products on Amazon, hotels, etc.) are left by people who are less than satisfied with something. People who are happy with something tend to enjoy their happiness and go about their merry way while people who are unhappy look for an outlet to express their dissatisfaction to the world.

Keep in mind reviews are just people's opinions - everyone has one and most of them stink.

The most recent review was posted 10/23, before that 10/16.
There are currently 333 people browsing the forums.
I'd say the data is in my favor.

Where are you getting that from? The list on the front page shows the last 11 reviews and if you click "older" you see the previous 7. So far there are 4 from today and there were 12 yesterday.

In addition, writing reviews is only a fraction of the non-forum part of the site. People are also looking through others' reviews, updating course conditions, updating basket placements for scorekeeping stuff etc.

Generally speaking, most reviews no matter what the review is for (courses, products on Amazon, hotels, etc.) are left by people who are less than satisfied with something. People who are happy with something tend to enjoy their happiness and go about their merry way while people who are unhappy look for an outlet to express their dissatisfaction to the world.

This is true, but then shouldn't it be the case for both UDisc and DGCR?

Where are you getting that from? The list on the front page shows the last 11 reviews and if you click "older" you see the previous 7. So far there are 4 from today and there were 12 yesterday.

In addition, writing reviews is only a fraction of the non-forum part of the site. People are also looking through others' reviews, updating course conditions, updating basket placements for scorekeeping stuff etc.

Yeah, I read the "played on" date, so that's on me.

But I'd still argue that the forum holds 99% of the useful information on this site compared to the reviews. Disc's, bag's, tournament's, form critique, etc.

DGCR is wayyy more than the CR suggests.

I used the course review section for a couple of years before I noticed there were forums. And then I went to the forums and was like, "Why do forums for disc golf course review have so little conversation about disc golf courses?"

I didn't come here every day and read reviews for hours like one might do with a forum. I used the site as a reference when I wanted to play somewhere new. And why would I not? There are only a handful of places to get that info and this one seems to be the most in depth.

I used the course review section for a couple of years before I noticed there were forums. And then I went to the forums and was like, "Why do forums for disc golf course review have so little conversation about disc golf courses?"

I didn't come here every day and read reviews for hours like one might do with a forum. I used the site as a reference when I wanted to play somewhere new. And why would I not? There are only a handful of places to get that info and this one seems to be the most in depth.

Totally agree, I was the same way. I used this site a lot when I first started playing and wanted to find courses near me. Later on I started using the site a lot again when I started traveling for work and wanted to check out a new course per trip. Now I recently moved to a new area and I'm using it a lot again.

I just think the majority of people who use UDisc to find new courses aren't actively choosing it over DGCR, they're just using it because of the promotion from PDGA events and they're unaware that DGCR exists.

I guess that makes sense, but for me it's easier to just go play the course.

Whether it is a good or bad course doesn't really matter, since at the end of the day I'll have gotten to spend a few hours with my wife throwing discs in nature. Hell if it was an open field with one basket that's still a better day than sitting at work.

FWIW, playing Eagles Crossing this weekend. DGCR has 1 review, 5 rating. Udisc has 339 ratings, many reviews, mostly short admittedly, avg rating 4.9. If this websites main purpose wants to continue to be reviews, something seems like it has to change.

FWIW, playing Eagles Crossing this weekend. DGCR has 1 review, 5 rating. Udisc has 339 ratings, many reviews, mostly short admittedly, avg rating 4.9. If this websites main purpose wants to continue to be reviews, something seems like it has to change.

What kind of change do you think? Something to get exposure, like advertising? Or something structurally in how reviews are done on DGCR?

I guess that makes sense, but for me it's easier to just go play the course.

Whether it is a good or bad course doesn't really matter, since at the end of the day I'll have gotten to spend a few hours with my wife throwing discs in nature. Hell if it was an open field with one basket that's still a better day than sitting at work.

I mean, there are 25 courses listed here within 25 miles of me. If I'm not that accurate, I probably would have a better time seeking something more open. If I throw 200 max, I probably would have a better time avoiding the course with a bunch of water carries and 440 foot par 3's. If it rained yesterday, I probably want to avoid the courses that everyone says floods. It helps me actually find the course (walk across the bridge and past the tennis courts). It might help me avoid a league. It might help me find hole 6.

I'm playing full rounds 2 days a week, max. I want to get the best experience that I can get. I get being happy to play whatever, but I see choosing the wrong course as an opportunity cost.

There are two separate logins. One for the Forums and one for the main site. Perhaps, DGCR could give us the numbers of logins on both the main site and the forums site. That would show which gets logged into the most....wouldn't really show how much they get used, since you can view the sites without a login. Knowing the number of logins to each, however, would give an indication of which part of DGCR got the most use.

I mean, there are 25 courses listed here within 25 miles of me. If I'm not that accurate, I probably would have a better time seeking something more open. If I throw 200 max, I probably would have a better time avoiding the course with a bunch of water carries and 440 foot par 3's. If it rained yesterday, I probably want to avoid the courses that everyone says floods. It helps me actually find the course (walk across the bridge and past the tennis courts). It might help me avoid a league. It might help me find hole 6.

I'm playing full rounds 2 days a week, max. I want to get the best experience that I can get. I get being happy to play whatever, but I see choosing the wrong course as an opportunity cost.

I've got 42 within 25 miles. If there's holes I can't play, or just don't want to play that day I have no problem skipping them. I also only play Saturday and Sunday. I do always make sure to check the Events Tab in Udisc before I head to a course so I don't hit league.

For me getting to see new stuff is worth it.
Different strokes for different folks I guess :hfive:

There are two separate logins. One for the Forums and one for the main site. Perhaps, DGCR could give us the numbers of logins on both the main site and the forums site. That would show which gets logged into the most....wouldn't really show how much they get used, since you can view the sites without a login. Knowing the number of logins to each, however, would give an indication of which part of DGCR got the most use.

This is probably true. I'm not sure why this thread became a Forum vs Review popularity contest though? If you don't care about course ratings/reviews and just want to hang out on the forums more power to you, but why comment in this thread? I made it just trying to have a discussion about DGCR ratings and how they compare to UDisc ratings.

What kind of change do you think? Something to get exposure, like advertising? Or something structurally in how reviews are done on DGCR?

Exposure/advertising definitely.

The main course I play has a sign on the #1 tee that asks the players to use uDisc and has one of those scannable codes (QR code?) to get the app.

uDisc also got the upperhand on DGCR because it was used in tournaments to keep score. Players needed to download it so they could keep score. It also helped in finding your starting hole during shotgun starts. Add to that the other features and you have an app that is useful to players. DGCR might be great for reviews of courses.....but can it get you to your starting hole? Can it get you to the next hole on the course if the location isn't easy to spot? Can it be used to keep score? How many apps should I have to use for disc golf? uDisc pretty much covers everything....only issue is that sanctioned tournaments have gone away from uDisc and use the PDGA live scoring instead - but that is a website and not an app (for now).

For me, a usable disc golf app needs to:
1. give me directions to the course
2. let me keep score
3. show me where the holes are
4. let me compare my rounds
5. show me the distance of my throws (and/or my lie's distance from the tee pad and to the basket).

This is probably true. I'm not sure why this thread became a Forum vs Review popularity contest though? If you don't care about course ratings/reviews and just want to hang out on the forums more power to you, but why comment in this thread? I made it just trying to have a discussion about DGCR ratings and how they compare to UDisc ratings.

Sorry.....it got off track with the post "DGCR is a Forum".

Back to the original reason for this thread. Why are DGCR and uDisc ratings of a course different? This is my opinion on the topic.....

The users. Period.

When I started playing, I heard about uDisc from other players.
I only found out about DGCR when I did a search to find an answer to a disc golf question.

Basically, any/every disc golfer knows about and uses uDisc - from a first timer to a long-timer. How a course is rated will differ between a newbie and a long-timer.

DGCR isn't well known. Yes, there are newbies to disc golf on it....heck, there's a part of the forum just for them. But (IMO) it is the players who have been around a while who have found DGCR. Those players are more familiar with different course and can better rate them.

If DGCR were more widely known, I think the course ratings would become comparable to uDisc. But for now, I think DGCR is more accurate due to the experience of the members doing the ratings.

It is also easier to do ratings on uDisc since it asks for it after you finish the round....and it is easy to rate a course low if you just had a bad round...or high if your round was great. With DGCR, the rater is going to the site after the round and they have had time to think about what the course was like for them....so it would be a more accurate rating.

uDisc rating: "knee jerk"/at the moment.
DGCR rating: "thought out"/after the round.

Exposure/advertising definitely.

The main course I play has a sign on the #1 tee that asks the players to use uDisc and has one of those scannable codes (QR code?) to get the app.

uDisc also got the upperhand on DGCR because it was used in tournaments to keep score. Players needed to download it so they could keep score. It also helped in finding your starting hole during shotgun starts. Add to that the other features and you have an app that is useful to players. DGCR might be great for reviews of courses.....but can it get you to your starting hole? Can it get you to the next hole on the course if the location isn't easy to spot? Can it be used to keep score? How many apps should I have to use for disc golf? uDisc pretty much covers everything....only issue is that sanctioned tournaments have gone away from uDisc and use the PDGA live scoring instead - but that is a website and not an app (for now).

For me, a usable disc golf app needs to:
1. give me directions to the course
2. let me keep score
3. show me where the holes are
4. let me compare my rounds
5. show me the distance of my throws (and/or my lie's distance from the tee pad and to the basket).

When dgcr was relatively new, the bar was much lower. Being able to see courses overlaid on the map was fairly novel. Our local club had something similar for the Chicago area, but if I was traveling and wanted to find courses, I was stuck with the pdga directory (which was very bare bones). At that time, you could have only hoped to get your first need satisfied with any website (no app).

For me, I have very limited time to play nowadays, but still enjoy playing new (to me) courses. If I am driving out somewhere to play a new course, I do a bunch of research ahead of time and dgcr is key to that. I don't think I could get the quality of information from Udisc that I get from dgcr reviews.

Latest posts