• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT 2023 All-Star Weekend

Rant on:
They really struggle with the coverage of this event. From the press conference and draft through the singles event. The Teams thing is so unnecessarily forced. They are constantly showing the Team Ricky vs Team Paul scores (projected at that) and basically never show the actual score of each match. It is very frustrating not knowing each player's score during the final round singles coverage. I understand you can't show all the action, but please, please show the match scores more often. And for Pete's sake, stop showing (and ask Nate Doss to stop focusing so much attention) on a projected team score. Projected scores and win percentages during events has got to be the worse thing that has happened to sports the last few years.

Rant off:
I do appreciate the attempt to produce an event like this as many of us were craving some live DG action.

Which sport presents an exceptional All-Star event? Maybe the NFL until 2023. Not baseball, not basketball. Is the All-Star tennis event pretty good? Ball golf?

I think all-Star events are inherently cringy.

Which sport presents an exceptional All-Star event? Maybe the NFL until 2023. Not baseball, not basketball. Is the All-Star tennis event pretty good? Ball golf?

You had me right up to the last word.

I watched maybe 5 minutes of highlights from the All-Star event and then threw in the towel. Totally agree that all star games in the major sports are nothing to write home about either though. Can't remember the last time I watched more than a few minutes of one.

I will be sure to kick in my two cents, when the free post coverage hits YouTube. Nope, don't care for any highlight stuff.

You had me right up to the last word.

I watched maybe 5 minutes of highlights from the All-Star event and then threw in the towel. Totally agree that all star games in the major sports are nothing to write home about either though. Can't remember the last time I watched more than a few minutes of one.

yah even the highlights felt like low lights

good lord it was boring to watch

and its just soooo forced

I wouldn't use the word 'kidding', but I'd grant you 'satire'.

There was a time that the MLB All Star game was must watch if your were any sort of a fan. It was taken seriously by everyone involved. The only sports all star game that was worthwhile, IMO. I watched some of the DGN All Star event last year, and it was underwhelming to say the least.

There was a time that the MLB All Star game was must watch if your were any sort of a fan. It was taken seriously by everyone involved. The only sports all star game that was worthwhile, IMO. I watched some of the DGN All Star event last year, and it was underwhelming to say the least.

When MLB winner got divisional home field advantage in the world series, I'd grant you MLB. Pros don't seem to care much in any sport. It's an exhibition for the fans and $$ for the merchandise sales.

DGN could improve the product significantly with proper commentary… and no rollers.

I tend to think of all star games as a showcase mainly directed at kids and not a real game. I think most of the players agree (excluding Pete Rose of course).

To me it's basketball. The NFL had the absolute worst. The NBA treats it the way I think it should be treated...it's a fun event. It's geared toward younger fans. And they've made a way to make players care at the very end. I actually don't even think it's close that it's basketball...but much of that is the inherent game of basketball (unlike NFL & MLB, it's fast-paced...unlike the NFL playing an actual game presents much less injury risk, there are no randoms you wouldn't know due to a much smaller roster, and it doesn't exclude the best players who are still competing in the playoffs).

I like the NBA all star event less now that I'm older...but I think they do a great job of appealing to young fans.

When MLB winner got divisional home field advantage in the world series, I'd grant you MLB. Pros don't seem to care much in any sport. It's an exhibition for the fans and $$ for the merchandise sales.

DGN could improve the product significantly with proper commentary… and no rollers.

I'd say it was way before that that it was considered important by the fans and the players. There was a real sense of rivalry back in the day between the leagues. Fans tended to follow one league or the other depending upon the location of their home team. Before 1997, there was no inter-league play. The DH rule in 1973 made strategy in each league different. They were even different corporate entities before they merged in 2000.

None of these types of things exist in big time pro sports leagues anymore. It's just spectacle, not a true sporting event.

To me it's basketball. The NFL had the absolute worst. The NBA treats it the way I think it should be treated...it's a fun event. It's geared toward younger fans. And they've made a way to make players care at the very end. I actually don't even think it's close that it's basketball...but much of that is the inherent game of basketball (unlike NFL & MLB, it's fast-paced...unlike the NFL playing an actual game presents much less injury risk, there are no randoms you wouldn't know due to a much smaller roster, and it doesn't exclude the best players who are still competing in the playoffs).

I like the NBA all star event less now that I'm older...but I think they do a great job of appealing to young fans.

Didn't the NBA all star game this year draw record lows and criticism from most demographics? Sounds like it was severely underwhelming.

*Not a basketball fan, just repeating what I thought I heard on the local sports radio show*

Didn't the NBA all star game this year draw record lows and criticism from most demographics? Sounds like it was severely underwhelming.

*Not a basketball fan, just repeating what I thought I heard on the local sports radio show*

It was very poorly watched this year (the actual game, I don't know about the other stuff). Part of what I think the NBA does really well is the entire weekend around it though. Dunk contest, 3 point contest, celebrity game, etc. That said, I think what they've done to appeal to younger audiences is working in ways that aren't tied to viewership numbers. The All Star game is basically a highlight reel now. It generate more YouTube/social media snippet content than anything else.

I DO think they've gone a little too far into some of the "activity" in terms of what surrounds the Sunday game. I tuned in this year to watch the game...and then I had to watch the captains pick teams (which was somewhat reminiscent of the DGPT all star where it was a total sh*tshow, what felt like a 20 minute post malone concert, 2 national anthems being played, and on and on. Then of course halftime is another concert or something (I think, it has been in years past but I tuned out this year).

So it isn't really MY cup of tea...but I do think in the age of Youtube clips and social media, it's not a bad thing to have a "hook" for younger audiences. This year didn't help that at least 3 of the biggest stars in the league weren't playing due to injury. I think if you're a "basketball fan", it's probably a struggle to watch. I think if you're a kid who just wants to see dunks and long 3's...it's probably entertaining.

Quoting the coach of the West team: "That is the worst basketball game ever played... I don't know if you can fix it."

One thing to realize about golf courses in Arizona....that is reclaimed water being used (which is why there are signs saying don't drink the water). Some ponds you shouldn't even wade into after your discs....there's nasty stuff in them. The water in some ponds is reclaimed 'gray' water.....from your sinks/showers. Ecoli and other nasties have been found in some of the ponds. I knew someone who waded in a pond at Scottsdale, had a small cut on their leg and ended up with a bad infection.

And the watering of golf courses is not as bad as keeping swimming pools filled.....those aren't using reclaimed water and the water isn't soaking into the ground...it's just evaporating.

The point is, having 7 million in Arizona and 3 million more in Nevada living in the middle of a literal desert is asinine.

Great weekend for a kid from Virginia. Let go Hoyas.

Just like an ace in disc golf this is all anyone will remember about the NBA all-star weekend.

The point is, having 7 million in Arizona and 3 million more in Nevada living in the middle of a literal desert is asinine.

We can argue/discuss the sensibility of living in a desert....but, many live in areas that aren't the smartest. How about all the people living in areas where hurricanes commonly occur or how about living in earthquake zones?

Latest posts