• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT All-Star Weekend 2021

I ponied up for DGN.
Cant find anything but the press conference?
Am I even dumber than I thought?

Hope you found it by now, but I think there is a delay between the actual live stream, and the live stream file being uploaded/rendering/whatever the proper term is to be watched as a cached video.

I believe it can take several hours...

Hope you found it by now, but I think there is a delay between the actual live stream, and the live stream file being uploaded/rendering/whatever the proper term is to be watched as a cached video.

Thanks!

I ponied up for DGN.
Cant find anything but the press conference?
Am I even dumber than I thought?

Yup. If you signed up after the round you won't be able to watch it right away. Last year it took 5-6hrs for it to load. You will be able to watch the singles round tomorrow live without trouble though.

Did you figure out the answer? Genuine question. :)

It's not actually 18 unique holes. They're playing the same 9 hole loop twice.

Sure i know, but why not let MPO play their 9-holes of Best Shot, then let MPO have a break while FPO plays best shot...THEN MPO start their 9-hole though shot loop.

Now they made (very bad) jumps between MPO and FPO and the flow was horrible

It was entertaining but weird. People slinging discs into the pond and laughing about it. We'll see if today is different. Theres still money on the line, isnt there?

Some really really poor shots where just inbounds was needed. Surprised about that.

Also a "spectator influenced OB/IB" shot was seen. First of 2021? Is it really that hard to dodge them discs?

Yup. If you signed up after the round you won't be able to watch it right away. Last year it took 5-6hrs for it to load. You will be able to watch the singles round tomorrow live without trouble though.

I still don't see anything but press conference! 😂

Now they made (very bad) jumps between MPO and FPO and the flow was horrible
Agree 100%.
Very poor initial effort, IMHO. No excuse for not seeing every shot when someone is committing 4 hours to watch 18 holes. I watched it in the evening and was able to skip around, but can't imagine devoting 4+ hours to watch it live.

Why can't they film every shot, then show the shots that were not seen live during filler time, like walking on 1150 foot holes...

If DGN wants to paywall events on courses that are meh (though I love the scenery), they better have a top notch production.

I loved the format though, and the overall concept. Hope they continue it each year, though I think some personality conflicts will lead top players to maybe reconsider. If scores from day one didn't carry over to individual scores day 2, I think the atmosphere would be better for the tough throw round. You could see the tension on Ricky's face as the OB strokes mounted up. KJ seems to have really hot rounds and really meh rounds. Have to question some of his strategy too with the format--you could park a 550' hole, but if your partner doesn't, it is for nothing. Why risk it? You really saw some iffy strategy out there. Do these guys ever play doubles?

For example, what was McBeth thinking on hole one of tough throw? Cost his team two strokes. I think the lack of communication was evident there. Did those two talk at all?

I watched it in the evening and was able to skip around, but can't imagine devoting 4+ hours to watch it live.

I always jump in late, you can then click anywhere in the timeline and skip around. I admit if this feature was removed, it would seriously dampen my interest in live.

There isn't even any graphics or commentary for the coverage, and their site is completely confusing. No, I didn't get to see the live footage. I basically paid 8 dollars last August for nothing, and paid 10 dollars yesterday for far too little, and what was provided was disappointing.

No graphics? No commentary? Confusing site? Not seeing any of this. Click on browse and it's all there.

$10.00 for 2 days of live coverage of this event. So 5.00 a day for a few hours of seeing some pro throw plastic. What else did you expect? Plus you'll be able to watch LVC and WACO. Still cheaper than a new movie rental.

I didn't watch DGPN. But based on the comments I've read here and on FB, it sounds a bit like the Ryder Cup where the Americans typically don't do as well in team formats as singles because they aren't used to playing together with a "random" elite partner and strategizing as well whereas the Europeans seem to do well in the team formats, perhaps by channeling the mentality of underdogs. In Best Shot, you can still be in charge of your own destiny. In Tough Shot, your destiny resides much more in your partner's throws.

BTW, I was playing an open random doubles, Best Shot competition round yesterday in 15 degrees and 6 inches of snow (won $66 merch and $120 cash CTP) plus another rec singles round afterwards versus watching DGPN live. Isn't that what disc golf is or should be about? Playing (when you can) versus watching? Many other non-disc golfing seniors may be watching Wheel of Fortune and Matlock marathons. But I'll be playing when I can, working on improving courses or working on an angle to pitch on Shark Tank.

(For entertainment value, I might have been persuaded to watch DGPN versus playing if they were streaming their doubles and singles in the same conditions we played, and I'm guessing Catrina has played, in Minnesota. ;) )

Agree 100%.
Very poor initial effort, IMHO. No excuse for not seeing every shot when someone is committing 4 hours to watch 18 holes. I watched it in the evening and was able to skip around, but can't imagine devoting 4+ hours to watch it live.

Why can't they film every shot, then show the shots that were not seen live during filler time, like walking on 1150 foot holes...

If DGN wants to paywall events on courses that are meh (though I love the scenery), they better have a top notch production.

I loved the format though, and the overall concept. Hope they continue it each year, though I think some personality conflicts will lead top players to maybe reconsider. If scores from day one didn't carry over to individual scores day 2, I think the atmosphere would be better for the tough throw round. You could see the tension on Ricky's face as the OB strokes mounted up. KJ seems to have really hot rounds and really meh rounds. Have to question some of his strategy too with the format--you could park a 550' hole, but if your partner doesn't, it is for nothing. Why risk it? You really saw some iffy strategy out there. Do these guys ever play doubles?

For example, what was McBeth thinking on hole one of tough throw? Cost his team two strokes. I think the lack of communication was evident there. Did those two talk at all?

He talked a lot about strategy in his prep round with Brodie. See his YouTube channel. I'm not saying it was the right strategy, but he talked about strategy.

anybody know how McBeth was determined the winner? playoff, seed based, etc?

Were walkers, joggers, bikers much of an issue?
There is always the potential lengthy waits at Fountain Hills and with "live" coverage, that could suck.

The comment section was bashing the coverage. I never did care for live coverage myself so I'm certainly not paying for it. I likely wouldn't watch it if it was free.

I subscribed for a month, but won't be renewing. Coverage was ... okay, but there were several errors with the commentary, and the card coverage seemed a little uneven. We saw hardly anything of Catrina/Kona's card during the double's round.

Latest posts