• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Discraft's Great Lakes Open July 23-25

https://dglo.net/articles/toboggan-courses-undergoes-changes
Toboggan Course Undergoes Changes
Sunday, April 25, 2021

For many years the Kensington Toboggan course, home of the annual DGLO (Discraft Great Lakes Open) DGPT event and the United States Amateur Disc Golf Championships, have been known for utilizing rubber pads. Those rubber pads will be no more, as Discraft, in conjunction with Kensington Metropark, is happy to announce that 27 new concrete pads have been poured to replace the rubber pads currently at the course. The course will continue to be a temporary course that is open during late spring extending through DGLO. Discraft employees Mike Wagner and Bob Julio worked with DGLO TD Nate Heinold and USADGC TD John Minicuci to get things worked out this last winter to lay out the location for the new pads. The pads were recently finished on 4/22/2021. "When I took over as the TD of DGLO I really had two goals in mind: work with Discraft to make a few small tweaks to the course and upgrade the pads from rubber to cement. I am very grateful that Discraft was on board with this vision," said Heinold. Discraft paid the bill for the pads while the Park was gracious enough to allow permanent pads to be poured on the property. The work began this last winter when Heinold began conversations with the park. "I submitted a pretty in depth proposal about the economic benefits of disc golf, which they were already aware of, and was very happy with how quickly they approved our plan," finished Heinold.
There's a hole by hole breakdown of the changes and a few pics.

https://dglo.net/articles/toboggan-courses-undergoes-changesThere's a hole by hole breakdown of the changes and a few pics.

Cement tee pad upgrade is a big improvement on this course. I have not got out to punish myself yet this year, so I can only imagine the hurting the new hole configuration is gonna lay on me. -18 withstanding, this is still one of the most brutal courses I have played.

I am signed up for the AM side of this tournament. I have already pocket my points for Worlds. Given the AM side format (Fri-Sa-Sun rounds, all with tee times), I am thinking of dropping and spending a couple days volunteering and spectating. In the past the shot gun start of the AM side, afforded the chance to head over to Toboggan, after your rounds to set up shop on the picnic area across the road from 17. Just a terrific way to unwind, have a couple cold beers, kick off the boots and watch the last dozen or better cards finish up. Tee times will likely mess with that precarious time line.

Cement tee pad upgrade is a big improvement on this course. I have not got out to punish myself yet this year, so I can only imagine the hurting the new hole configuration is gonna lay on me. -18 withstanding, this is still one of the most brutal courses I have played.

I am signed up for the AM side of this tournament. I have already pocket my points for Worlds. Given the AM side format (Fri-Sa-Sun rounds, all with tee times), I am thinking of dropping and spending a couple days volunteering and spectating. In the past the shot gun start of the AM side, afforded the chance to head over to Toboggan, after your rounds to set up shop on the picnic area across the road from 17. Just a terrific way to unwind, have a couple cold beers, kick off the boots and watch the last dozen or better cards finish up. Tee times will likely mess with that precarious time line.

You should snap some new pics of the tees and upload them...:D

I just don't feel like spotting again this year. :|
I might get out and spectate for USADGC.

Shoot me an email if you are thinking about heading out for USADGC. I could probably throw in the grill and some brats. We are getting a Chocolate Lab pup that Sat, so I am playing things by ear, for now. I am hoping to get out there for a while Sun.

Saw a pic of one of the new holes- actually wooded.

It's a common trope you hear all the time but once I watched the more recent post produced coverage for DGLO I understood it, that videos never really do a course justice and they're often a lot different when you're actually out there.

Trust me when I tell you the Toboggan lines are a lot tighter than the video makes them out to be and the shule out there is absolutely brutal, and it gets VERY wooded once you get a foot off the fairway.

You don't notice that because the camera crews tend to walk and stick to the fairway, especially at the Toboggan because of the terrain, and don't venture off it, so the view all of you get at home is a lot different than the one you get when you play it.

Some of the shule out here is so thick you can't get a tripod in there to even get a good filmed view.

It's a common trope you hear all the time but once I watched the more recent post produced coverage for DGLO I understood it, that videos never really do a course justice and they're often a lot different when you're actually out there.

Trust me when I tell you the Toboggan lines are a lot tighter than the video makes them out to be and the shule out there is absolutely brutal, and it gets VERY wooded once you get a foot off the fairway.

You don't notice that because the camera crews tend to walk and stick to the fairway, especially at the Toboggan because of the terrain, and don't venture off it, so the view all of you get at home is a lot different than the one you get when you play it.

Some of the shule out here is so thick you can't get a tripod in there to even get a good view.
Absolutely agreed. Your lines better be tight on many holes or your bag will be 175g lighter the next hole. Hole 3 is a beast if you grip lock or turn it too much. Forget finding discs in there, but I have found some disc golfers...

Some of the shule out here is so thick you can't get a tripod in there to even get a good filmed view.

I played it many years ago (Worlds 2000) when by all accounts the schule was much worse. The schule was certainly horrible back then- I only remember a hole or 2 with anything resembling a tight line though.

I played it many years ago (Worlds 2000) when by all accounts the schule was much worse. The schule was certainly horrible back then- I only remember a hole or 2 with anything resembling a tight line though.

Completely agree.

When I think of "tight lines," I think of holes that even if you hit the first gap, still offer plenty of bad kick opportunities further down the fairway. There really aren't many holes like that on toboggan. Old #5 was for sure... but they eliminated it. I still need to see the new #5 and #6. But that really doesn't describe the rest of the course.

Several holes have windows you gotta hit off the tee to hit a landing area, but that's not really the same as as having to hold a tight lines down a on a well wooded fairway, like say Northwood, or some of the holes at Waco

What makes Toboggan difficult is when the power required to score well isn't controlled, the density of the schule means things go bad really quickly. That's why it's key to stay in the fairway.

The fact that it doesn't get year round it's a big factor in factor and it's being a particularly tough course to scramble on.

They're raffling opportunities to play with touring pros.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournament/Paul_McBeth_Foundation_Play_with_the_Champs_2021

Thu, Jul 22, 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Play with the Champs!

DIVISIONS
PMB1 1 raffle ticket $15
PMB3 3 raffle tickets $35
PMB5 5 raffle tickets $50
PMB9 1 Hole w/ McBeth + Luna $400
GG1 1 Hole w/ Garrett + Luna $300
ULI1 1 Hole w/ Uli + Luna $300

ABOUT THIS EVENT
We will be hosting a special 9 hole event the day before DGLO begins (7/22/21) to raise funds for the Paul McBeth Foundation. This Play with the Champs event will be taking place at 5PM at the Kensington Toboggan Course. We will have 5 total pros playing this event, with Paul McBeth, Garrett Gurthie and Paul Ulibarri confirmed. We will have 2 more confirmations soon.

Format: Each hole, the pro will be paired with a fan and they will play best shot doubles. We will do a raffle drawing on each hole to determine which fan gets to play that hole with the pro. Tickets can be purchased for a chance to play with a pro, or guranteed tickets can be purchased to guarantee a hole with a pro. The pro with the lowest score at the end of the event wins the Play with the Champs exhibition.

Holes to be played: 1, 2, 3, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 1

Tickets:
1 ticket: $15
3 tickets: $35
5 tickets: $50

1 Guaranteed Hole with Paul McBeth and a special CryZtal Clear Signed Luna (only 300 will be made with a COA): $400 (only 3 available)

1 Guaranteed Hole with Paul Ulibarri and a special CryZtal Clear Signed Luna (only 300 will be made with a COA): $300 (only 3 available)

1 Guaranteed Hole with Garrett Gurthie and a special CryZtal Clear Signed Luna (only 300 will be made with a COA): $300 (only 3 available)

All proceeds will go to the Paul McBeth Foundation. Ledgestone will be MATCHING all donations up to $5000! Help raise funds for a great cause.

REFUND POLICY
Ledgestone is responsible for all refunds/cancellations.

Last edited:
As a Swede is nice to see Ragna play a big event again. .

I just saw her a month ago at a tourney, I was spotting on the first hole and she was waiting on her tee time and came down to survey the hole. I asked her if she misses the tour and she gave a resounding "nope" reply.

She looks to be still in disc golf shape for sure. Most people want simple lives with reliable jobs and families, can't really blame her.

Last edited:
I just played Toboggan with Notroman... my first time seeing the new holes, and they're really "woods golf." Very nice additions to the course. The type of holes this course didn't have before.

And if I'm totally honest, the holes they eliminated were the weakest holes on the course. The difference between a good tee shot and a great tee shot was luck... not skill. Even with with a great line off the tee, getting a birdie look was a matter of luck.

I just played Toboggan with Notroman... my first time seeing the new holes, and they're really "woods golf." Very nice additions to the course. The type of holes this course didn't have before.

And if I'm totally honest, the holes they eliminated were the weakest holes on the course. The difference between a good tee shot and a great tee shot was luck... not skill. Even with with a great line off the tee, getting a birdie look was a matter of luck.

Agreed! That ravine on 6 was really cool, did not expect it, can't really even see it until you don't see your disc anywhere...OH-that's where it went.

I think the new 15 could be a par 5 though. I had a couple really good throws...that ended up at the original teepad. One stroke gone. :)

Looking forward to seeing what good players do with that hole now, and if we will see any birdies.

Agreed! That ravine on 6 was really cool, did not expect it, can't really even see it until you don't see your disc anywhere...OH-that's where it went.

I think the new 15 could be a par 5 though. I had a couple really good throws...that ended up at the original teepad. One stroke gone. :)

Looking forward to seeing what good players do with that hole now, and if we will see any birdies.
Yeah, 15 was already a par 4. Even with teeing off from that hill, I don't see see how it still be a 4 with all that added distance.

I should have picked up a scorecard to see if it had updated distances and map. :doh:

Latest posts