• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Didn't watch the podcast and don't pay as much attention to this stuff as some of you guys but, I have never watched a live stream of disc golf and doubt I ever will. I love watching CCDG and Jomez when I have time though.

Are there any vendors in sc? Those comets sound nice.

I don't think so, but Infinite Discs will have a massive selection of discs and they will continue to be the Official Vendor of the event.

I think this approach is the wrong business model. Does the NFL, NBA, and MLB have their own camera and production crews? No. Could they? Sure they could but they don't.

They sell the rights to someone to produce and televise those events. Steve should be looking to get paid by Jomez, ccdg, etc to film DGPT events. Then those guys get paid by advertisers, YouTube, and patreon. Maybe their isn't enough money in advertising to support this currently but I don't think having an in house video team will work out very well. Time will tell.

Dodge started with zero followers. Jomez is approaching 100k. That makes a huge difference when it comes to starting up something. Just sayin....

Where were Jomez's subscription numbers three years ago when DGPT kicked off? Seriously, how many subscribers has Jomez added over the last three years in part by consistently covering DGPT events? Folks are talking about Jomez's near 100K subscribers like they've always been there and no one else can achieve something similar. Content is pretty damn important, and Steve and the DGPT have that.

Hate to keep making analogies to other sports and television rights, but I remember back in the 90s when Fox made a huge splash by getting the rights to air NFC games for the NFL. To that point, CBS had been doing it for decades and at the time, Fox was still a fledgling fourth place network. CBS had the eyeballs, Fox wanted them, so they got the content that would get them the eyeballs. Steve wants to do the same with his own content. Instead of paying crews to film and publish videos that they then get further monetization from (ads and Youtube revenue), he wants to monetize for himself. That's not greedy, that's sound business.

I'll grant that it remains to be seen whether the in-house production can be as great as what Jomez and CCDG and Smashboxx have put out. I guarantee the first few attempts won't be the greatest but neither were those other guys' first few attempts. It probably won't take long for them to get their feet under them, though. And the viewers will come because what viewers want more than anything else is fresh content. It will be pretty much as jvphobic suggests...not that much different than what we've become accustomed to, just on a different channel.

Hate to keep making analogies to other sports and television rights, but I remember back in the 90s when Fox made a huge splash by getting the rights to air NFC games for the NFL. To that point, CBS had been doing it for decades and at the time, Fox was still a fledgling fourth place network. CBS had the eyeballs, Fox wanted them, so they got the content that would get them the eyeballs.

Fox is still the fourth place network in the NFL.

I think this approach is the wrong business model. Does the NFL, NBA, and MLB have their own camera and production crews? No. Could they? Sure they could but they don't.

They sell the rights to someone to produce and televise those events. Steve should be looking to get paid by Jomez, ccdg, etc to film DGPT events. Then those guys get paid by advertisers, YouTube, and patreon. Maybe their isn't enough money in advertising to support this currently but I don't think having an in house video team will work out very well. Time will tell.

Crap...nevermind, I misread your post, twice.

Last edited:
Also, its silly to think that Pros will not follow the money. The pros like Jomez and CCDG (and I am very fond of them myself). But right now these pros don't have luxury to play a bunch of the smaller A Tiers. For starters, there is so much more money involved with DGPT events. The entry fees are higher (and a lot of pros get their entry fees paid for) and the added cash is a lot higher. So they are going to these higher priced events with a lot of donators paying a $225 entry fee. At the smaller A Tiers, the entry fees may only be $100, and the added cash is probably only $3000 or so. They simply can't afford to play a lot of the smaller events.

Also, the idea that a bunch of other tournaments can just magically raise their added cash to a larger level is silly as well. If those tournaments could do that they would have already done that and they would have already considered trying to join the NT or the DGPT. The bottom line is, unless you spend 300+ hours running a large scale event, you probably won't be able to raise enough money to run a DGPT or NT event and you certainly won't be able to make a profit off of it. To do it right you need to put the time in, and most people (understandably so) don't have the time for it.

Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.

Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.

Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.

I believe this was Steve's intention, but nobody would pay him. The rights are only worth what the market will bear, and that model is an outdated cable TV model. Realistically, we're past that, we're onto the content creator model using social media platform distribution.

Let's speculate!

This is already starting to happen.

Live coverage isn't going to take off until whomever does it can afford multiple crews and actual production. I will not sit and watch people walk down the fairway unless it's Tiger walking down 18 at the tour championship for his first win in years. Until they can cut to other cards, show us interesting and unique things all the time, I'm going to stick with Jomez where they show us what matters.

Networks make money from advertising. Manufacturers have a dog in that fight, certainly, but the majority of the money from advertising isn't going to come from disc manufacturers. And to be able to charge enough for advertising slots to make any real monetary impact, you're going to need to show that you have the viewers.

This is going to be a tough sell. To a lot of folks.

Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.

I'm not convinced the manufacturers see a fight, just a means to get their brand in front of consumer's eyes.

Instead of paying crews to film and publish videos that they then get further monetization from (ads and Youtube revenue), he wants to monetize for himself.

Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.

They already do. I know at least one manufacturer that pays their guys a bonus when they make Jomez or CCDG.

Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.

Um, how did you do that? I didn't think I wrote that text, and clicking the link shows my original comment you quoted looks nothing like that lol :confused:

My understand is that SmashBoxx got paid from the live advertising. The money that the events paid went to the tour finale.

But honestly it is one pool of money in the end.

Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins ·

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour
Just posted on Facebook.

Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins ·

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour

Just posted on Facebook.

Let the flaming begin! :p

Joking aside I can only imagine the posts on that facebook page.

There's a reason this is the only social media I participate in.

My understand is that SmashBoxx got paid from the live advertising. The money that the events paid went to the tour finale.

But honestly it is one pool of money in the end.

If you can share high-level - do you and Terry have other events lined up for 2019? Damn shame Steven went this direction and it's already soured my interest wanting to follow the DGPT next season. As many people have a favorite pro to follow, you and Terry are my favorite broadcasters/podcast to follow.

Latest posts