• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

The fans complaining is one thing. The players complaining is a huge problem for the DGPT. It's the "pro" tour after all.

I'm very proud of the pros that have voiced their opinions. They have seen the benefit of CCDG, Jomez, and Smashboxx very hard work and to see them support those teams is a great sign for our future.

This is not good news for the DGPT. Early (admittedly reactionary) data suggests that the dice roll for more cash came up 7 and crapped out.

I don't even see how this is early data. None of the events have taken place yet, and no players have really announced their schedule intentions. If players start to skip a few events then we will see that Dodge made a mistake. A poll on the Disc Golf Debate FB page is not at all indicative of the majority of people who consume disc golf videos (and its obviously not a scientific poll). The majority of those people could care less about anything but watching disc golf. They know that they watch the Memorial every year and they will just go to Youtube and search for "Disc Golf Memorial 2019 Coverage". To be clear, Jomez does a great job and I would love to have them at Ledgestone, as I have said in other places.

For early data, see McBeth's comments about DGPT events vs Jomez or the outcry of fans on DGPT Facebook page or the recent post there from Steve saying that "things would be delayed" all signs pointing in one direction...that is plenty of early data...

Hmm, so I remember at the end of the year (tour championship, or usdgc?) they rigged up the Jomez cams to stream live and they filmed for post produced content. Maybe Dodge didn't like the result of the poor live or trying to coordinate that?

ALSO... you know how there are some peeps who like Live and some who like Post?

Well if the DGPT Live is covering Tourney A on a given weekend, all us content viewers will watch some pros battle it out live. Meanwhile Tourney B is happening a few hours away and Jomez is filming. We get to watch the other Pros (I expect 6-10 top pros "defecting" to Tourney B in hopes of making Jomez Card) and we get NO SPOILERS since there's no live tourney and maybe less in-your-face spoilage on DGPT and other social medias. We get to watch post produced the next day and get 2 TOURNEYS PER WEEKEND

Hmm, so I remember at the end of the year (tour championship, or usdgc?) they rigged up the Jomez cams to stream live and they filmed for post produced content.

No, they brought in a 3rd party media team that had experience filming other sports (Ultimate I think). Jomez did edited post-coverage.

Jomez's announcement for those that don't have Facebook:

tIh0vI0.png

Note this from Jomez - "as of yesterday - 11/20"

directly contradicting the DGPT posts put out on the 21st about still talking with Jomez.

Jomez have very much just taken control of the narrative and dropped DGPT under the bus.

Quietly and politely savage.

This is not a zero-sum game. Maybe we'll just get to watch more quality coverage in the end. Everybody wants to be on the lead card and take home added cash. Sot the more players decide to go to Jomez-events the more incentive is there for the other players to play the DGPT and vice versa.

For early data, see McBeth's comments about DGPT events vs Jomez or the outcry of fans on DGPT Facebook page or the recent post there from Steve saying that "things would be delayed" all signs pointing in one direction...that is plenty of early data...

More early speculation than early data. Or, maybe, data about the speculation.

Lots of people prefer the Jomez productions over the DGPT productions. Despite the fact that they've only seen one of the two.

Players saying they might skip a DGPT event for a A-tier, foregoing the larger payout for more video exposure. Maybe they will. Or, when the time comes, maybe only a few will.

Kind of disappointing the way this is all playing out. You've got DGPT saying theyre still in talks and then Jomez swoops in and says "yeah, no. We're done here".

I really am curious to see what dodge comes up with. I think competition is a good thing. People inevitably resist change, but I'm certain that if we want the best and most coverage of our sport, then content must advance past its current state.

I don't even see how this is early data.

It's data, and it's early...what's not to see?

I think people can properly context niche group opinion polls. These are exactly the people that you sell all those discs to Nate, they are the people who have propped up the DGPT as well as the media groups.

I think it's pretty obvious that these folks will feel more strongly as a group than casual fans, but if you want to keep posting huge purses, those are the people you need to be paying attention to. They pay twice for one product, sometimes 3 times.

A poll on the Disc Golf Debate FB page is not at all indicative of the majority of people who consume disc golf videos

Translation: "Black Spot Theory"

As someone who ran the day-to-day at SpinTV for 5 years, you're 100% incorrect. This sample is a more than adequate representation of the demographic of the fanbase that spends the most money on the business(es) you're invested in.

Is to early to start the "2020 tour options prediction thread"? I could see DGPT not coming back after this year (500k payout and less media coverage driving it) and the sport going back to a NT and Major model in 2020.

Has anyone thought that it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the dgpt could hire a capable crew of videographers to film, put together a good product and be just fine?

I'm not saying that's the case. And I respect and have seen both ccdg and jomez grow to incredible standards and professionalism. They have set an excellent quality bar to be matched. But it hasn't always been like that and I feel the last couple years have gotten better exponentially.

I mean no offense. And I also disagree with the decision and think those two crews specifically are 110% capable. I also will add that I am in the camp that will watch the coverage and not the tour per se so I will continue to watch all ccdg and jomez that I can. (Although I will always watch the big few tourneys.)

Has anyone thought that it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the dgpt could hire a capable crew of videographers to film, put together a good product and be just fine?

I'm not saying that's the case. And I respect and have seen both ccdg and jomez grow to incredible standards and professionalism. They have set an excellent quality bar to be matched. But it hasn't always been like that and I feel the last couple years have gotten better exponentially.

I mean no offense. And I also disagree with the decision and think those two crews specifically are 110% capable. I also will add that I am in the camp that will watch the coverage and not the tour per se so I will continue to watch all ccdg and jomez that I can. (Although I will always watch the big few tourneys.)

This is possible unless you read a lot of disc golf social media. According to some people this whole thing has already failed without knowing what the plan really is.

This is possible unless you read a lot of disc golf social media. According to some people this whole thing has already failed without knowing what the plan really is.

I think people are skeptical because Dodge cut ties without even knowing what the plan is. I'm sure he has ideas, but maybe lock those down before pissing off so many people. I hope it doesn't suck, but like many, I'm skeptical.

Latest posts