• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

DGPT dropped Part 2 of their media plan... https://www.dgpt.com/news/media-plan-part-2

Part 2 was much better detailed than part 1, I will give them that. Still a lot more words than information, a little Trumpian in the promises at times (our camera operators have years of experience. They're the best. The resolution will be the greatest. The commentators will be professionals, the best professionals on the tour. No I'm not telling you any names, we have high tech cameras. The greatest), but okay, there are some concrete details here at least.

Most of this information is stuff many of us were hoping to learn in the initial plan release. Better now than never.

Some notes:
-Lots of info about what kind of coverage that will be on each card (good)
-Vague info about who will be doing said coverage (bad).
-If I'm reading this correctly, will the post produced coverage be edited from the live coverage? That's how I'm reading it. "Artistic" Camera will probably be used mostly to splice in reactions and such into the post-produced. (Meh).
-Commentators were not named, but I'm hoping one of the former world champions alluded to is Climo because his commentary at USDGC was very good. (potentially good).
-I'm confused about what the "other capacities" the DGPT pro tour is excited about welcoming existing media teams to participate in. They can show up and cover cards that aren't MPO lead, chase, or FPO lead?

I think what the DGPT is doing is great. I applaud Steve Dodge's business plan; it's good for the tour, good for the players and good for us viewers.

Jomez and CCDG have plenty of opportunities still, both off and on the DGPT. I am happy to watch 3rd card coverage of a big event, so will others. There are plenty of events elsewhere as well.

Some people have their feelings hurt; either they can grow from this and adapt or they can hang on to the status quo and fade away. The sport is going to be fine either way.

Last edited:
Let us not forget that this dude has a habit of......let say "twisting" the truth a bit.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/09/15/pdga-executive-director-responds-dgpt-statement-calling-full-inaccuracies/

Hmmmm....Dodge leaked the schedule and inaccurately stated that the PDGA did not assist him in getting scheduling priority. These are indeed both transgressions, though we don't know what Dodge's response to the second part was, two years ago.

I am not sure this constitutes a "habit of twisting the truth". I would be interested in know if the PDGA now makes special scheduling accommodations for Dodge?

I don't want to sound like a Dodge defender, but it seems you are pretty focused on being a Dodge detractor.

Hmmmm....Dodge leaked the schedule and inaccurately stated that the PDGA did not assist him in getting scheduling priority. These are indeed both transgressions, though we don't know what Dodge's response to the second part was, two years ago.

I am not sure this constitutes a "habit of twisting the truth". I would be interested in know if the PDGA now makes special scheduling accommodations for Dodge?

I don't want to sound like a Dodge defender, but it seems you are pretty focused on being a Dodge detractor.

I know nothing of the dude except what I read from articles and such. Having been in the US Navy for 10 years there are 2 types of people that are detested above all others. Liars and Thieves. Liars can get you killed (in the military) and thieves threaten your only comforts. from what I have read, he comes off as a person who would do anything for his own interests, which includes the possibility of lying. I prefer those that work towards a team goal.

I know nothing of the dude except what I read from articles and such. Having been in the US Navy for 10 years there are 2 types of people that are detested above all others. Liars and Thieves. Liars can get you killed (in the military) and thieves threaten your only comforts. from what I have read, he comes off as a person who would do anything for his own interests, which includes the possibility of lying. I prefer those that work towards a team goal.

I hear ya. I don't know Dodge from Adam, but I think the bolded is important to emphasize. The guy might be a complete dirtbag, but I am one to give the benefit of a doubt.

I would expect that he would do nothing, BUT what is in his own interest. The guy is trying to make a living off disc golf and his tour, his action should only be directed toward making that as profitable as he can. I certainly don't condone lying, but I neither expect that he has to be altruistic in his actions. He owes the game, the players, other tours, the PDGA or us nothing. If any of the listed benefit from his success and profitability.....bonus. I know few business that operate for the benefit of others or anything outside of profit.

I mean, it was a pretty brash and juvenile statement for Dodge to put out.

I thought the PDGA's disciplinary process against Bradley Williams (which was the emotional dam-bursting that caused Steve to fire that blog post off) was botched, 100%. Steve really handled that situation poorly though. He made his whole staff/crew look like they worked for an amateur, reactionary organization.

I was there in Vermont when it went down...it was one of a whole string of awkward moments that weekend.

Not trying to take sides here, just giving my perspective from on-site. 2016 was a whirlwind, I still kinda can't believe I had a front row seat to all of the highs and lows for both tours in their inaugural season. What a learning experience that was...

I hear ya. I don't know Dodge from Adam, but I think the bolded is important to emphasize. The guy might be a complete dirtbag, but I am one to give the benefit of a doubt.

I would expect that he would do nothing, BUT what is in his own interest. The guy is trying to make a living off disc golf and his tour, his action should only be directed toward making that as profitable as he can. I certainly don't condone lying, but I neither expect that he has to be altruistic in his actions. He owes the game, the players, other tours, the PDGA or us nothing. If any of the listed benefit from his success and profitability.....bonus. I know few business that operate for the benefit of others or anything outside of profit.

This is where I disagree to my core about people, in general. We can not survive as a species with this type of mentality. If all anyone is worried about in life is themselves, then we have lost our way. I have served my country, I volunteer, I help family members & friends in need, and I do what I can to protect the environment for future generations. I do all of this on a wage that is considered below middle class and I am doing fine, in California mind you. Why is it OK to be self absorbed when we don't need to be to survive? /endrant

Not trying to take sides here
If you are referring to the Williams issue, then never mind.
If you are referring to DGPT media, the impression I get from DGCR posts and the podcast, is that you might not be passing up as many "Steve bashing opportunities" as is implied by "not taking sides". There is a definite bias that goes beyond acknowledging Steve's mistakes. I will admit you have NOT wished harm to the DGPT, but you have not been neutral.

If you are referring to DGPT media, the impression I get from DGCR posts and the podcast, is that you might not be passing up as many "Steve bashing opportunities" as is implied by "not taking sides". There is a definite bias that goes beyond acknowledging Steve's mistakes. I will admit you have NOT wished harm to the DGPT, but you have not been neutral.

Sounds good to me. I like me commentators and media people to have opinions as well as be fair.

I was referring to not taking sides between Brockness and ru4por's bigger discussion, just adding my .02 to that specific incident.

I'm definitely not neutral on the DGPT's media decisions, I stand by what I've said previously. I'm not sure I'm following you on the part about 'bias beyond acknowledging Steve's mistakes' though?

If I may offer a specific suggestion in response: In a debate competition you might be asked to present an argument from your opponent's side of the issue. It would be refreshing to hear you give an argument for making the choices Steve made. You have done so on behalf of Jomez decisions.

I do not understand the debate, It had to happen sometime. You can not allow people to make money off the tour, that Steve is helping build,, for free. That is like the pga saying that the networks that film it and produce it but also make millions off advertising do not have to pay anything for the right to do it.

The obvious solution is to lower the requirements for NT events and have more of them.

Or Perhaps the PDGA sees the pros leave the DGPT something they want to keep as it grows the game, so PDGA also calls DGPT NT Next year as a dual event type but not the other way for strictly NT events so that the other channels can be covering the same DGPT event but as a NT event side.

Last edited:

I have known Steve a long time and he is not a dirtbag. First and foremost he is a salesman who does not always have all the logistics of things well thought out prior to selling them. From my time involved in production work that is often a characteristic of the best salesmen.

I thought the PDGA's disciplinary process against Bradley Williams (which was the emotional dam-bursting that caused Steve to fire that blog post off) was botched, 100%. Steve really handled that situation poorly though. He made his whole staff/crew look like they worked for an amateur, reactionary organization.

^^Truth. (Although I doubt you and I see the BW thing as "botched" in the same way.)

If I may offer a specific suggestion in response: In a debate competition you might be asked to present an argument from your opponent's side of the issue. It would be refreshing to hear you give an argument for making the choices Steve made. You have done so on behalf of Jomez decisions.

Well in this particular instance I don't believe in what Steve is doing. I totally get what you're saying, I'm on your wavelength for both the "what" and the "why" of your comment now.

I feel like my job is to try to give context before giving an opinion, and back that opinion up with evidence as much as possible (or else state that it's purely emotional). However I don't think my job is to present both "sides" of something on equal footing if I don't believe them to be equal. I think that borders on dealing in false equivalencies.

It's possible that we disagree on whether I'm being "fair" or not. If that's our impasse I can respect the disagreement, and I do appreciate the feedback. I want to be seen as fair as well as opinionated. All I can really say is I'm trying and my intentions are good, but I believe strongly in two things:

1. A rising tide lifts all boats

2. The ends don't justify the means

...and, without going around the record player again, I think this issue particularly puts those two beliefs at odds with one another.

Maybe what I'm hearing is we need another podcast or video concept aiming for more strict "news reporting" and that way The Upshot stands out more clearly as an opinion podcast?

Well in this particular instance I don't believe in what Steve is doing. I totally get what you're saying, I'm on your wavelength for both the "what" and the "why" of your comment now.

I feel like my job is to try to give context before giving an opinion, and back that opinion up with evidence as much as possible (or else state that it's purely emotional). However I don't think my job is to present both "sides" of something on equal footing if I don't believe them to be equal. I think that borders on dealing in false equivalencies.

It's possible that we disagree on whether I'm being "fair" or not. If that's our impasse I can respect the disagreement, and I do appreciate the feedback. I want to be seen as fair as well as opinionated. All I can really say is I'm trying and my intentions are good, but I believe strongly in two things:

...and, without going around the record player again, I think this issue particularly puts those two beliefs at odds with one another.

Maybe what I'm hearing is we need another podcast or video concept aiming for more strict "news reporting" and that way The Upshot stands out more clearly as an opinion podcast?

Nicely put, man. I am not sure there is really anything that is strict "new reporting" left in the world. Non bias, objective and impartial news is pretty hard to find.

I have known Steve a long time and he is not a dirtbag. First and foremost he is a salesman who does not always have all the logistics of things well thought out prior to selling them. From my time involved in production work that is often a characteristic of the best salesmen.

That is what a dirt bag sales person would do tho...Sell Sell Sell but have no firm agenda to deliver. As a former longtime salesman (and owner of a production company) a general rule is to never sell or promise anything you don't have in your hand. Working things out after selling something is the definition of a ****ty sales person.

Minor thread drift....but is there a better spoken and/or articulate individual on these boards then JT? Not to mention always being very rational and thought out with posts. Always love seeing what he's got to say.

End drift....

Latest posts