• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Idlewild Open driven by Innova Discs & The Nati

Is Jomez going to have videos of this tournament? If so any idea when?

Jomez, imho, is hands-down the best video of tournaments. I tried to watch live yesterday and gave it up. The commentary was terrible as were any stats they would occasionally show. Cut aways to commercials were constant and would be shown even during the middle of throwing a hole. Can't say how many hours it took them just to cover the MPO round with McBeth's card playing. I also never seemed to realize, before watching yesterday, just how s-l-o-w Conrad's rate of play is. He makes ball golfers look fast.

Doesn't look like Mcbeth is on the lead card. This is where DG needs a camera to follow someone on another card who is catching fire. That seems to be one of the last things missing from live coverage of a DG tournament to make it thoroughly entertaining.

I dont really know much about live streaming and the post-pro crews(or computers in general for that matter), I wonder what all would have to be done for them to be able to tap into the Jomez/CCDG crews for a live feed, in that type of situation? I'm guessing its not easy or they would have done it by now. Would they all have to be using the same equipment? Or is just a networking issue?

Looks like Fred Salaz (HOF and co-course designer) is out of the tournament. Hope he's OK.

Looks like Fred Salaz (HOF and co-course designer) is out of the tournament. Hope he's OK.

Does he normally throw a lot of FHs? They were showing the card in front of the feature card a lot toward the end and he threw several FHs. I seem to remember him throwing lots of BH rollers when I've played with him. Maybe he pulled something yesterday and gutted it out or just playing that many holes in those conditions just wore him down?

Does he normally throw a lot of FHs? They were showing the card in front of the feature card a lot toward the end and he threw several FHs. I seem to remember him throwing lots of BH rollers when I've played with him. Maybe he pulled something yesterday and gutted it out or just playing that many holes in those conditions just wore him down?

I think his game is mostly BH so you could be correct. And he's not young so playing all those holes might have had a toll on him.

Doesn't look like Mcbeth is on the lead card. This is where DG needs a camera to follow someone on another card who is catching fire. That seems to be one of the last things missing from live coverage of a DG tournament to make it thoroughly entertaining.

DGPT live feed has done a decent job at covering someone who is making a run at the lead not on the lead card. Most recently was McBeth at Utah Open

Jomez, imho, is hands-down the best video of tournaments. I tried to watch live yesterday and gave it up. ... I also never seemed to realize, before watching yesterday, just how s-l-o-w Conrad's rate of play is. He makes ball golfers look fast.

Jomez I agree, but Terry & Dixon do a much better job then you give them credit for. The slower talking guy (Cory?) at CCDG does a great job too. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the booth and let Terry be the walking around dude doing field interviews, commentary, etc.

You can time Conrad easily from the coverage and verify your statement.

I wonder what all would have to be done for them to be able to tap into the Jomez/CCDG crews for a live feed, in that type of situation?

I'm guessing they would just need a wifi connection and tap into their network to make it happen. Interesting idea.

I dont really know much about live streaming and the post-pro crews(or computers in general for that matter), I wonder what all would have to be done for them to be able to tap into the Jomez/CCDG crews for a live feed, in that type of situation? I'm guessing its not easy or they would have done it by now. Would they all have to be using the same equipment? Or is just a networking issue?

They'd have to have the correct equipment to start with, which they don't. Smashboxx broadcasts via cell signal using what is essentially a laptop in a backpack. The camera (any good video camera will work, including Jomez's) is plugged into that and the signal is relayed to the switcher in JonnyV's basement and he sends it out via Youtube.

Problem is those rigs are expensive (a few thousand a piece), so not really practical to have around "just in case" they want to add cameras to the broadcast. Also, they don't operate with a simple on/off switch. They have to be broadcasting full time (or the backpack has to be removed and booted up to start sending signal which is a big inconvenience mid-round) so it's not really practical for the Jomez or CCDG guys to carry them around and have them hooked up "just in case". And that's not even getting into the fact that each rig needs cell data to broadcast, which isn't cheap.

I guess add another thing to the list when I win the Mega Millions Tuesday night...;)

I guess that would probably be the next evolution in DG coverage then? Purposefully having the secondary crews wired for live cut-ins, or one of the crews expands to the point where they would be able to do it by themselves. That would give them the multi-card coverage that DG would need for mainstream broadcasting...

Last edited:
I guess add another thing to the list when I win the Mega Millions Tuesday night...;)

I guess that would probably be the next evolution in DG coverage then? Purposefully having the secondary crews wired for live cut-ins, or one of the crews expands to the point where they would be able to do it by themselves. That would give them the multi-card coverage that DG would need for mainstream broadcasting...

The trouble with that is that the post-prod crews would have to be tied into whatever communication loops the live crew are on (conference call?), on top of whatever communication they have amongst themselves. They're out there doing their own thing...I think it would be tough for them to switch gears mid-round to accommodate a live "cut-in". Especially if it prevents them from getting what they need for their post-produced stuff.

I think the ideal would be to have an expanded live crew independent of the Jomez/CCDG guys. Covering multiple cards right from the start, even if the secondary crews are bouncing around a bit looking for the hot round rather than sticking with, say, the chase card. Basically, if they're going to the expense of having more live-capable cameras on hand, they might as well go all the way with it and just have more full-time live cameras on the course.

Catrina Allen, the last 4 holes b,db,db,db.. guessing she's just ready to get off the course. (31 strokes off 1st btw)

Jomez I agree, but Terry & Dixon do a much better job then you give them credit for.

Gotta disagree.

I used to complain about Terry, but I'd take Terry back huffing and puffing around the course in a heartbeat over Dixon.

Dixon doesn't know how to shut up and take a breath, to the point where Terry has nothing to say except one of his corny jokes every 5 minutes or so.

Live coverage: still unwatchable.

Crazy score separation in FPO. . 20 strokes between first and third..in just 3 rounds!