• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Sold to Todd Rainwater

Of course he may also want to go all postpro and ditch the live coverage. Then they wouldn't need to have courses with strong cell signal.

That would suck...

Yes i know but at work and can´t watch until tonight, just wanted to knoe if anything BIG was said. . .whould be sad if Smashboxx and live was dropped AGAIN . . .and Jomez and CCDG

What would be sad is if their choice of venues is still tied to cell phone signal. Unless the donor is dropping big money into satellite trucks, hard wire, equipment and bandwidth (or there is some sort of different cell technology available) live coverage will continue to be bleh. IMO the biggest conceptual mistake by DGPT to this point has been the marriage to live coverage above all else.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an immediate infusion of millions.

I'm assuming he will build upon the established tour by improving/fixing key areas and then continuing on a sustainable path.

Hopefully his clout can attract a few big fish eventually though.

It's not "dumping in millions" necessarily, more like making the right business adjustments, making some capital investments in some equipment and staff, and creating some new partnerships with media outlets.

Also it's influence. Monied interests are simply taken more seriously, and are more likely to garner new and exciting business relationships. As a business manager that took a failing business from bush league to the big time, they are perfectly poised to smash a home run IMO. They've got it all and a killer team. Shoot, I wish I was in a position to send Jeff a resume, that's how excited I am for what these guys WILL accomplish.

I think this is a typical "got to spend money to make money" sort of change.

I don't know how actually invested Dodge was in to spending money in the correct places to actually create a really well done product that could be marketed. I think Rainwater is probably someone who realizes that creating a solid infrastructure to support the tournament is most important to promote sustainability in the future.

Very interested to see how this plays out. The DGPT was something that touring pros, and our sport, really needed. Prior to the creation of it, 6 NTs and 3 majors was just not cutting it for those of us who have been following the pros for a long time. There just wasn't enough news/coverage/story continuity through the season to keep people's interest. The DGPT fills a lot of those downtimes and really gives us a lot more to evaluate a season with.

Based on wikipedia article of Richard Rainwater, it doesn't look like his sons inherited billions. Most of the money went to his charitable foundation, which is chaired by Todd.

There appear to be a few lines of thinking on this:

1. He's got money, so he'll spend it
2. He's got money but just bought a struggling company, so he'll make necessary improvements in hopes that it can reach self-sufficiency
3. He has money so he can influence others with money

#2 seems most likely, with the other two being inflated some in this thread like internet distance is.

Really depends on who he wants to partner with in terms of courses and media, and what he sees as his desired relationship with PDGA. Improved live coverage infrastructure would benefit if done as collab with the media groups and PDGA. If any improvements are tied to the pockets of just one person, then that means everything is dependent on his continued interest and investment.

Do wonder where he sees Jomez fitting in, as that's the third best DG brand going behind Innova and Discraft. They've proven better at expanding their brand and delivering ever-improving product more so than anyone else in the biz. They aren't likely what's getting beginners into the game, but they are, I'd argue, the gateway drug to players becoming consumers of the pro game.

There appear to be a few lines of thinking on this:

1. He's got money, so he'll spend it
2. He's got money but just bought a struggling company, so he'll make necessary improvements in hopes that it can reach self-sufficiency
3. He has money so he can influence others with money

#2 seems most likely, with the other two being inflated some in this thread like internet distance is.

That's more or less what I was thinking. If he's an enthusiast, he might be willing to risk losing a little money, short-term, in hopes that it pans out. Presumably he won't have to worry about cash flow, and balancing the checkbook every week.

I'm not sure what angle they are looking at this from, but there are some decent bones here.

They have a network of TDs and people associated, a lot of decent media assets, and some good footholds into YouTube and google search history to give them a leg up from the visibility standpoint.

Heck DGPT even has an app on Roku, it's completely underutilized at the moment, but has potential.

That's more or less what I was thinking. If he's an enthusiast, he might be willing to risk losing a little money, short-term, in hopes that it pans out. Presumably he won't have to worry about cash flow, and balancing the checkbook every week.
Dodge was pretty open about the fact that DGPT has not been profitable yet. It sounds like they now have a deadline of 2021 to turn that around. Makes sense, you can only lose money for so long.

Really to me this is just a switch from Steve Dodge at the controls to Jeff Spring at the controls; after the series of missteps Dodge has made this year it makes sense that people would want to make that switch and Todd Rainwater had the financial ability to hit the number they needed to make Dodge go away. To get Rainwater to do that, Spring certainly showed Rainwater a plan of how to make DGPT profitable that he thinks is viable. So Jeff Spring gets his shot.

My understanding, and don't make me explain why/how, is that Rainwater was already a major investor. He is the face of a few of the old investors that reinvested into the tour under the mandate that Dodge be ousted.

I personally think it is a reasonable play, the Pro Tours association with Steve has hurt their brand among the new generation of disc golf fans. To me this signals a pretty big shift in the definition of the disc golf consumer and who the pro tour is really being marketed to. First it was the players, then the amateurs, and now they are ready to grow into the mass consumer market?

Steve did a great job of growing his brand to the pros and ams, we will see how the new team and ownership does at continuing to grow the pro tour to the masses.

My understanding, and don't make me explain why/how, is that Rainwater was already a major investor. He is the face of a few of the old investors that reinvested into the tour under the mandate that Dodge be ousted.
The announcement said that Rainwater was "formerly a minority owner of the DGPT" so there already was an investment by him at some point. That people who invested in the DGPT would want new leadership certainly is understandable; Dodge seemed to have a whole wardrobe of "I'm so sorry" shirts that he has worn this year. If they still believe in the product, have the resources to pay Dodge off and have the guy they think can take over and make it turn the corner, it's the expected result.

I didn't even know you could "own" the tour. I thought someone helped organize and run it but I guess I never knew you could just buy the whole tour. Interesting. What "assets" are included in the tour?

Latest posts