• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Virtual Putting Competition 2020

Nick Pacific

Eagle Member
Anyone following this? Dan Hastings is really impressive. And what's up with all these pros who don't have a high quality basket at home to putt on? (not these two guys, but in a lot of other videos I've seen)

I follow it since I have made a bracket for this one. Here are my few takes on this:

1) I like the format, 5 putts from 6 distances makes it visually good and not too long.

2) (Controversial and personal one to open the discussion): The DGPT has it completely wrong on the way to count points. Every putt (no matter what distance) should be worth 1 point. Because right now, it's whoever catches fire at 45-50 wins and the pros don't seem to care about the first 2 stations.

As of now, 40% C1/35% C2 beats 90% C1/20% C2.

The only artifact I could accept would be the final putt of a rack being worth 2 points (like in the 3 points contest in the All-Star game).

3) For wind and baskets differences, it's up to the players. So, I don't mind.

4) As a clean step-putter (my back foot stays behind my mini, release the disc way before I plant my front), my eyes are bleeding watching some of these guys step/jump putts. It's like a contest to see who has the most controversial one.
I don't think we should ban step/jump putts, since I don't think we gain an advantage. It's just a parallel skill opposed to standing still. But something needs to be done to address the ones taking advantage of it.

Circle 1: As of now
Circle 2: As of now, but in addition you need at least one contact point behind the mini after release. So then, we just have to focus on the front foot to see if there is a foot fault.
Outside Circle 2: As of now. No matter how controversial it is, you won't improve your putting percentage by much...

I'd love to see them wearing headphones like Ricky was so that they can continue to smack talk each other while putting and so we can clearly hear the "uh oh"s and "oh crap"s. Other than that, it has been pretty entertaining.

The lack of quality baskets and same putter molds is bothering my OCD for sure.

The smack talk is the best part, I wish they would all loosen up and engage more. Hastings is a beast of a putter, but a robot on video. And it's pretty much as I expected, but the lack of trash talk and engagement makes the FPO matches a bit flat for me. Walker and Linthicum were the loosest on screen and made for the best watch in my opinion.

Ricky and Drew was the most entertaining for sure. "I'm gonna beat Drew with his own putter" and "Hey Drew, this is what a good putt sounds like" are front runners for best trash talk of the series for me.

Lulz at Paul for speculating where he'll put his basket in the next round as he's getting beat.

I don't care if that spoiled it for you

Respect to the numbers these pros were putting up, after about 20 tries I finally broke 30pts (with a 32). 18-23pts were much more common early and then a stretch at 25-29 after some repetition. It's the 35 & 40ft stations (2 pointers) that were the toughest to dial in for me. I'd like to see some final stats for all the competitors. I'm gonna continue practicing with this layout.

Amazing how good a putter Heather Young is! She was consistently scoring higher then the men. I think she scored a 41 on one of her rounds:thmbup:

Respect to the numbers these pros were putting up, after about 20 tries I finally broke 30pts (with a 32). 18-23pts were much more common early and then a stretch at 25-29 after some repetition. It's the 35 & 40ft stations (2 pointers) that were the toughest to dial in for me. I'd like to see some final stats for all the competitors. I'm gonna continue practicing with this layout.

Regarding final stats... does anyone know if and where they are available to be viewed? This applies to the 2021 edition, too.

Thanks.

Latest posts