• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR Mirror

thanks for all of your hard work over the years, Blake. I first started playing (seriously) circa 2002-03 and DGR was the first website I ever saw about DG. I read every review of every disc there was before buying said disc. the technique section taught me an X step, how to putt, etc. looking at the DGR mirror brings back some of the best memories I have about the game. Even the forums were fun, most people helpful and cool. Frank D said I was cool dude when I was pretty new to the forum which is super high praise coming from him haha! Still remember that. Those Dan Beto videos though!

The site ended for a few reasons:
-Ancient code. I built the site in notepad and it became too overwhelming to maintain. I wasn't motivated enough to learn how to update it to a friendlier interface and/or put in the work to port it over. The forum ran into similar issues.
That was the era.

I still get caught up handling code related responsibilities at work in Notepad despite having and knowing better/more efficient tools are available in our system, just because its just such a comfortable way to work for me.

Thank you for all that you did setting up that site. On a personal level - your site was absolutely crucial to my development as a player. At one point I had a two-plus year stretch where my rating didn't drop a single time (913 --> 987) - and 100% of the tuning I did during that period came from discussions in the DGR forums, the grip tables, the articles, and the repository of slow motion videos of the best players in the sport.

A question for others - is there any site on the internet that currently does what the DGR mirror does as a compendium of free information on how to throw?

thanks for all of your hard work over the years, Blake. I first started playing (seriously) circa 2002-03 and DGR was the first website I ever saw about DG. I read every review of every disc there was before buying said disc. the technique section taught me an X step, how to putt, etc. looking at the DGR mirror brings back some of the best memories I have about the game. Even the forums were fun, most people helpful and cool. Frank D said I was cool dude when I was pretty new to the forum which is super high praise coming from him haha! Still remember that. Those Dan Beto videos though!

Thank you :)
It's good to hear stories like that.

That was the era.

I still get caught up handling code related responsibilities at work in Notepad despite having and knowing better/more efficient tools are available in our system, just because its just such a comfortable way to work for me.

Thank you for all that you did setting up that site. On a personal level - your site was absolutely crucial to my development as a player. At one point I had a two-plus year stretch where my rating didn't drop a single time (913 --> 987) - and 100% of the tuning I did during that period came from discussions in the DGR forums, the grip tables, the articles, and the repository of slow motion videos of the best players in the sport.

Yeah, it really became a bear to keep it going, especially with a lot of life changes going on and waning amounts of free time. It really came down to the volunteers that helped me out that kept it going as long as it did. When the forum crashed it really sunk my drive and people were quick to move elsewhere.

Thank you for letting me know.

Thank you for the feedback. I sort of dropped off of the disc golf internet rather abruptly. It does feel quite good to know that what I did mattered to someone. I dedicated roughly 1/4th of my life to it.

I still work in the industry but behind the scenes.

Back when I was still doing lessons I had considered starting up a blog or something of that nature where I would continue writing about the evolving methods and techniques that I was working with that went well beyond what I ever wrote on DGR (both articles and the forums) but that never came to fruition and as the lessons dried up, so did my motivation for wanting to do so.
Good to see you here Blake! You helped me(aka seabas22) and countless others. Just don't go all Bradley Walker on us. :D

Thank you for the feedback. I sort of dropped off of the disc golf internet rather abruptly. It does feel quite good to know that what I did mattered to someone. I dedicated roughly 1/4th of my life to it.

Mattered, and still matters to a lot of us! I basically learned how to play disc golf based on DGR and the forums there. I've carried the same philosophy about the sport to this day that I developed thanks to DGR and the discussions there. Many of us who are now 'old timers' in the sport these days have been passing that knowledge along over here for a long time as well.

So while we all migrated, it was to continue discussions that were started over there. I'm glad DGR was around back when I started playing. There wasn't nearly as much choice in terms of spaces to have legit discussions on technique, game philosophy, and equipment.

And a lot of this is thanks to you, Blake! Your efforts are still remembered and much appreciated.

It's all been said but I have to add to the love - DGR was probably the reason I stuck with discin' early on. There were so few resources online and I wasn't getting better playing around with friends, it really took my game to the next level. My wife even used a huge work printer to print out 3-foot tall swing breakdown diagrams for me.

The sad part is that a lot of the dg "coaches" today teach that the right pec drill or position is bad.

Echoing the words of so many, thank you for furthering my knowledge of how to make these polymeric platters do what I want once they leave my hand. I keep a pretty "dgr-y" bag to this day with most non utility discs in a rotation.

I still teach new players the basic mechanics for throwing a forehand with a method you taught me on one of your late night technique phone calls. "Grip your disc, imagine it's a hammer and you're pounding in a nail. Take that motion and do it parallel to the floor." I get a kick out of watching the light bulb go on over their head as they flick their first non fluttery side arm.

Yeah man you are legendary. Great work. Much appreciated. That's love of the sport to run the first great site and pour countless hours in. I spent a lot of time in there but never posted, but I sure appreciate it. It was the only resource I had and it accelerated my development better than all my friends put together.

I'd always wondered where you had got to. Thanks for checking in!!

Echoing the words of so many, thank you for furthering my knowledge of how to make these polymeric platters do what I want once they leave my hand. I keep a pretty "dgr-y" bag to this day with most non utility discs in a rotation.

I still teach new players the basic mechanics for throwing a forehand with a method you taught me on one of your late night technique phone calls. "Grip your disc, imagine it's a hammer and you're pounding in a nail. Take that motion and do it parallel to the floor." I get a kick out of watching the light bulb go on over their head as they flick their first non fluttery side arm.
Works for backhand too!

I still work in the industry but behind the scenes.

Back when I was still doing lessons I had considered starting up a blog or something of that nature where I would continue writing about the evolving methods and techniques that I was working with that went well beyond what I ever wrote on DGR (both articles and the forums) but that never came to fruition and as the lessons dried up, so did my motivation for wanting to do so.

My brother introduced me to disc golf in the early 2000's and I was immediately hooked. We wanted to get better and searched for a website that offered any sort of information on disc golf. It was like finding a pot of gold when we eventually found DGR. I registered my username (sunspot) and frequented DGR up until the website's last moments. Blake, thank you for committing your time in helping people get better at a game that they love. It is good to hear from you.

Its too bad we don't have the old PDGA forum archive available somewhere. It definitely had its cons, but there was good info to find too.

Latest posts