• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGR Mirror

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
It would seem DGR (Disc Golf Review) is officially gone. The site just goes to a placeholder page now so I can only assume it won't be back.

Last year in February I was given access to the site to back it up and if need be, mirror it when the time came. There was a ton of great technique and disc information on there and it would have been a shame if all that was lost forever. As a result, I've spent the better part of my Saturday updating the files and setting up and importing the forum. I also locked down the forum, turned off registration, etc. It's purely an information archive now.

For those curious/interested, the URL is https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr

Thanks, Tim! Lots of great information there. Appreciate you taking the time to archive it.

I'm sure it would be more effort than it's worth, but it would be entertaining if banned DGCR members were allowed to post in DGR. It would be a handful of trolls talking to each other in the midst of an otherwise dead board.

Haha, that's a funny idea but I'd just rather keep it as a time capsule that I don't really have to maintain.

Big thanks for doing the work. I started out reading DGR and learned a lot from that site before everyone eventually migrated here.

I was never a DGR fan but maybe the PDGA's course listings will follow suit, not that you should archive..."that" :)

Hey in with the New Year but let's dredge up some old memories... I was looking for DGR because I found a troll thread and suddenly felt the need for some Frank D...

Thanks Tim for all the work that must have been to archive that... makes me want to go looking for Blake T posts instead. Kind of like switching from Jerry Springer to the news when someone walks in..

After plunking around for the "snowflake of suck" quote, I couldn't help but search DGR to see if I'd been mentioned for something there... and found this reference to something I used to have in my DGCR sig:

jsun3thousand » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm
nothing beat's bogeynomore's old signature about basket theives rotting in hell and having their internal organs displayed before them. that's keeping it real.

bogeynomore wrote:
BASKET THIEVES: I hope you rot in eternal damnation! May Satan slice your stomach open as you watch your own viscera spill onto your bare feet, and puncture your eyeballs just to test the sharpness his horns. And in your few remaining seconds of agony, just before Death has a chance to take your wretched excuse of a soul, may he use your body, barely clinging to life, to stoke the very fires of hell that keep him warm.

lol... I'd completey forgotten that was in my sig at one point.
Thankfully, I've worked through my anger issues since then. :)

Thanks for that Bogey, I meant to subscribe last time that popped up. Haha. Good thing it's mirrored to my new username, I can't even remember my DGR one, I think it was ThrowaSurge... and I don't know if I posted there much if at all, I was scared haha... keep digging and posting, the lazy in me loves that!

Thanks for that Bogey, I meant to subscribe last time that popped up. Haha. Good thing it's mirrored to my new username, I can't even remember my DGR one, I think it was ThrowaSurge... and I don't know if I posted there much if at all, I was scared haha... keep digging and posting, the lazy in me loves that!

I knew you had a different name at one point. Do you still throw Surges?

I knew you had a different name at one point. Do you still throw Surges?

Haha not so much.. I still have my shaky Z with the apocalypse dye (that is a brown and dark red sunflower looking thing on a yellow disc.. Translation: I love throwing it, hate looking for it). I've turned into a lighter weight lighter arm thrower, lots of good times with the surges though.. You know you're committed to a putter when you change your name, and it's mildly punny.

If the Ohm keeps working and I change my name again it will be ThrowA-XXX but I'm too white to pull that off.

I wanted to say thank you for doing this. I needed to find a manufacturer's description for an out of production disc and found this thread while searching for the old mirror. After reading this and couple of other threads pertaining to DGR, it made me feel nostalgic. I'm glad that all of what I wrote/built still exists somewhere.

It was particularly nice to see that DGR helped a number of people. That is really what I had hoped for when I created the site and especially so after my focus shifted from product to technique.

I do regret that I never got around to compiling all of the technique knowledge I had accumulated over the years into a more organized and cohesive article or set of articles before the site ended.

The site ended for a few reasons:
-Ancient code. I built the site in notepad and it became too overwhelming to maintain. I wasn't motivated enough to learn how to update it to a friendlier interface and/or put in the work to port it over. The forum ran into similar issues.

-Financials. During the later years of the site I was in a very poor financial situation. A lot of the hosting services which had been provided to me for free or at a significant discount as a favor dried up. I was never good at monetizing the site and it reached a point where I was spending a few hundred dollars a year to keep it going but getting zero revenue from it.

-Declining physical health. My right knee deteriorated to a point where playing 18 holes of disc golf meant wearing an uncomfortable knee brace, 3-4 days of icing, and limping for about a week. Chronic shoulder injuries didn't help either. This sucked the fun out of playing and the only throwing I did happened during lessons or demoing discs for Joe's flight chart.

-Life changes and loss of interest/motivation. Once I couldn't play anymore I began focusing on other interests.

Thanks again.

-Blake T. Formerly of DGR

It was particularly nice to see that DGR helped a number of people. That is really what I had hoped for when I created the site and especially so after my focus shifted from product to technique.

Thanks again.

-Blake T. Formerly of DGR

Blake, you and the DGR site made such a difference to the sport and laid foundations for so much more great teaching and constructive debate, far more I suspect than you could ever know.

Thank you for it all. From a personal perspective your site gave me the knowledge and help I needed to persevere with the sport I had fallen in love with but couldn't find anyone in the UK to help me through the frustrations of getting better.

14 years later I now install the courses over here and manufacture our own discs to help grow the sport to where it should be and DGR has at least some part in having made that happen. I suspect I might not be playing today without it.

We'd love to see you back in the sport to some degree, even if you aren't able to play anymore there are so many other areas within it to pour enthusiasm into.

Just wanted an opportunity to say thank you whilst you're here!

^Well said. Blake thank you! I migrated here after DGR kinda died, was skeptical at first but I've been here ever since. Not sure what else to say that rhatton didn't but that site truly helped countless people invest in this game. You're much appreciated:thmbup:

I thought this was my thread, had to go back and look (mine had a question mark). TimG thank you for updating and hosting! Crazy to think it was over 4 years ago I inquired about DGR in the watercooler. You replied within 24 hours and the rest is history.

I like you internet strangers more than most of my friends lol:D

We'd love to see you back in the sport to some degree, even if you aren't able to play anymore there are so many other areas within it to pour enthusiasm into.

Just wanted an opportunity to say thank you whilst you're here!

Thank you for the feedback. I sort of dropped off of the disc golf internet rather abruptly. It does feel quite good to know that what I did mattered to someone. I dedicated roughly 1/4th of my life to it.

I still work in the industry but behind the scenes.

Back when I was still doing lessons I had considered starting up a blog or something of that nature where I would continue writing about the evolving methods and techniques that I was working with that went well beyond what I ever wrote on DGR (both articles and the forums) but that never came to fruition and as the lessons dried up, so did my motivation for wanting to do so.

Latest posts