• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Difference between XL, mantis and stalker?

Hammer1248

They all seem the same via flight charts. With limited money id like to know one that flies like a new Buzzz. About 300 ft straight with slight fade at end. I need a tweener for Teebird and Leopard and prefer Z plastic but not opposed to TL just like Z plastic.

With limited money id like to know one that flies like a new Buzzz. About 300 ft straight with slight fade at end.
That would be a Z Stalker - it is very similar to a "longer" buzz. The Mantis feels a lot like teebird, but it flies a little different. A Z or TI Mantis is very close to a well worn in Champ Teebird, a bit more under stable and a touch less dump when it fades. The XL is a long time staple in my bag. I liked the old elite plastic best (the precursor to X) but those are hard to find now days. It feels like a leopard in the hand and briefly held the distance record when it was first released around 1998. I use them for annys, hyzer flips, and slow controlled tunnel shots. However the XL flies a little wonky in premium plastic - like a more stable Stalker with more fade.

Just get a Z Stalker. It is the most buzz-like fairway driver.

Awesome sounds good. Does the Z stalker fade in slight headwinds(like the buzzz) or flip like my leopards? I might consider the XL if it does that. I really want some fade on the end to make it different than my leopards.

I like the Stalker a lot. It does a really nice "line drive" for me. It doesn't hold the anhyzer too much and doesn't fade much when it slows down.

Something worth mentioning, Stalker has a bead. XL and Mantis do not. Of the three molds, Stalker is the straightest, Mantis is the longest, and XL is the most versatile. These are just my opinions, though.

I bag 3 Z-Line XLs. domey ones start out dead straight, like the buzz. I have one of those. flatter ones start out hyzer-flip to flat and beat in ones can do a perfect hyzer flip. wouldn't throw it into headwinds though. stalkers are a little more stable to start than the XL, should get some left finish at the end. never thrown the mantis.

Ti Stalkers are more stable, closer to a Teebird. Z will be closer to the Buzzz.

For the spot in between the Teebird and Leopard I really like the Discmania FD. It has a little less fade and more glide then a TL. Since you like Z plastic you would probably like the C line over S line.

They all seem the same via flight charts. With limited money id like to know one that flies like a new Buzzz. About 300 ft straight with slight fade at end. I need a tweener for Teebird and Leopard and prefer Z plastic but not opposed to TL just like Z plastic.

I know these discs well. In speed they rank undertaker/mantis tb xl leo st. In stability undertaker/tb st xl leo mantis. In dome mantis leo tb undertaker xl st.

Latest posts