• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

difference: drivers & fairway drivers

Is a Sidewinder in the Driver category then or is it in the fairway category? Im thinking it is just barely in the driver category.
The Sidewinder is the same speed as a Valkyrie, so it's slow distance driver speed. Personally, I'd never associate the word "control" with it.

They're the drivers you probably should be reaching for most of the time if you aren't throwing a mid or putter. Distance drivers don't normally get thrown that often in a round.

Can't say I totally agree with this. I have some high speed drivers that I consider very contrallable and I use them much more than fairway drivers. The Surge, Avenger SS, Surge SS are all max speed drivers that I use constantly. Not to mention I'd say the most predictable are the high speed overstable drivers like the Discraft Force and Predator or Innova Destroyer and excaliber (yes there are more on both sides). Most dependable drivers that I know of but are still high speed.

Not to mention I'd say the most predictable are the high speed overstable drivers like the Discraft Force and Predator or Innova Destroyer and excaliber (yes there are more on both sides). Most dependable drivers that I know of but are still high speed.
I agree that really overstable, fast drivers get thrown a lot. I don't normally call them distance drivers, though.

I was exclusively driving with my ESP Surge. I recently stepped back down to a Valk and am really pleased by the distance and accuracy that I am getting with it.

Is a Sidewinder in the Driver category then or is it in the fairway category? Im thinking it is just barely in the driver category.

It's a distance driver, but I have better control with it than I do my Wraith.

I have also been really confused by this. Currently I don't have anything in my bag that would be considered a FD (I have an Eagle but its a junker over water disc). Off the tee I throw drivers (long shots over 300') anything from 275'-200' I throw my mids, less than 200' I throw my magnet inside 30' I throw a titanic. Never really saw the need for an in between disc. I see it as a form of rebranding, no one would buy a disc that was a driver with the speed of a mid unless the companies told you it was a special FD that fit in between.

Last edited:
I use a fan grip for all of my throws. I get much better consistency with narrower rims. Orcs, Beasts and Sidewinders are as wide as I can go without getting inconsistent releases. I stay away from all the new 11+ speed stuff. I like Teebirds, TLs and Leopards a lot, but they do overlap a lot with my mids as I throw them interchangeably at 260-280' (my max comfortable range for Rocs).

The place I use fairway drivers the most is off natural tees since I can throw them as far as I would my mids with less of a run-up. Natural tees and fairways are essentially the same as far as footing so I think they are named correctly.

I don't really think of the discs as being in the same classifications where the producers place them. For me, it's basically like this:
If I need to use an S-curve(or backwards S, really) to hit the spot, it's a distance driver.
If I can hit the distance with a straight shot (or careful planned curve), it's a fairway/control driver.

Throw stance is also factor. If I'd throw the disc without a 'run-up', it's a control driver for me.

Latest posts