• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Dice

Marzac2

Birdie Member
So I came up with an idea to have some fun with friends. Since I'm into 3D modeling, I created a set of dice to play a game of chance before each shot or sometimes just off the tee.

It consists of three dice with printing on them.

By rolling the three dice, you are given the direction for your next throw. You can play to only use the dice to determine your first throw or all throws. You can also change it up and use only one of the dice to determine either: disc choice, shot selection or hand determination.

The disc dice can help expand your game by forcing you to throw strange shots, using discs you may not normally throw.

The first dice is the is the disc choice dice. P = putter, M = mid-range, FD = fairway driver, D = driver and TC = thrower's choice.

The second dice is the shot selection dice. On the dice is: air shot, hyzer, anny (anhyzer), roller, t hawk (tomahawk) and TC = thrower's choice.

The third dice is the hand determination dice. RH BH = right hand/backhand, LH BH = left hand/backhand, RH FH = right hand/forehand, LH FH = left hand/forehand and 2 spots are TC = thrower's choice.

You can make your own easily or check em out at my Shapeways shop below.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shopy-mcshopface

Let me know what you guys think. Is this an idea that would be useful or not? :popcorn:

This sounds like one of those things that's fun in theory, but perhaps not so much in practice.

Decent idea. If i was doing this i wouldn't use the third one seeing how for most people throwing opposite would not be fun at all. Also some people just haven't learned both backhand and forehand to make it fair and fun enough.
I think just using the first two dice would be fun and provide enough challenge.
Although instead of having one spot be for tomahawk i would make it a choice of tomahawk, thumber, scoobie, grenade that way players with shoulder issues wouldn't have to hurt themselves as much.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

I made up a similar game using a single die. The number you rolled determined the disc and all throws for a hole until you made it in the 10 meter circle. If you roll a:
1 - backhand putter for drive and approaches
2 - forehand putter for drive and approaches
3 - backhand mid for drive and approaches
4 - forehand mid for drive and approaches
5 - backhand driver for drive and approaches
6 - forehand driver for drive and approaches
We played it once. Apparently I was the only one who thought it was brilliant.

A better game is "the string game". All players start with a 20' piece of string. You can use any or all of your string to improve your lie, or even hole out, at any time. Once you "use" a certain length of string, you cut it off and it is removed from play (dont litter please). When your string is gone, you get no more help.

So, tree blocking you? Move 4 feet to the side and get a clean stance. Need a birdie to win the last hole? Turn that 25 footer into a 5 footer for the win! It's a lot of fun deciding on when to use your string. Use it now, or hold it for the last few holes?

I am all for trying to throw discs you are not used to; it is great practice. However, I am not for forcing someone into a throwing style that departs too much from what they would normally do. There is a point that it is counter productive even if you are just trying to have fun. As a predominantly rhbh (100/1 to rhfh) thrower, I can see the merit of practicing some right-handed forehands, even if it is a 400' hole and I am stuck with a putter, because I can work on placement, but I would find no merit, and likely no fun if I had to left-hand tomahawk a putter down a narrow and low window. I have screwed around with trying to throw lhbh, but I was using discs appropriate for the situation. The awkwardness of totally messing with your style is just screaming injury, or worse. Trust me, I have actually been in that situation.

Last year were playing RIPT. Someone played the card on me that allowed everyone to play a card on me. It turned out to be a left handed, eyes closed, tomahawk, with a lid putter, from a tee box 30 feet away from the normal box. The hole was a tunnel with a soft dogleg left. The only decent shot is a rhbh on a hyzer that floats the 240 feet. I had no chance before I began. Well, maybe, just maybe a cut roller could work. Again, see above conditions I had to thrown under. I spiked it into the ground by my feet and it rolled immediately to the side and into some shrubbery. A passerby was quick to note, "I have never fresbeed before, but I am sure I could throw better than that." Another condition of the card was that I was not allowed to talk for the whole hole. I could not defend myself, and to make sure I could not live that moment down, they did not defend me either. I still won the match, but my ego and my shoulder were definitely hurting.

Great minds think alike I also created flybone disc dice

One of the dice I created in my Flybonez disc dice game

FLYBONEZ dice game

Attachments

• 20170202_141029.jpg
    20170202_141029.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170202_141016.jpg
    20170202_141016.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170202_141003.jpg
    20170202_141003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 24
We have been playing a game similar to what you are describing, we call it "Chug, Toke, or Trash can lid".

Sounds like the kind of thing I would try for two holes and be cracking up, and then never do again. I'm bad enough at playing right handed. Throw in the left hand and I'm not having fun anymore. And most of my friends take the game too seriously to enjoy something like this. Not saying they shouldn't enjoy themselves more. They should. But still not something they would agree to do.

Latest posts