• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc diving vs some kinda retriever

Is that Bear, the Microtel winner? He sounds pretty cool.

Ice retrieval

I had to pull up this old thread to share my retrieval story. I was playing disc golf at Memorial Park yesterday. Hole 6 requires a drive over a small tributary of the Wisconsin River. This tributary is frozen and earlier in the spring we were able to walk across it. Now, the ice is still there, but it's too thin to walk on. Sure enough, my drive caught a low-hanging branch, and my disc landed on the middle of the ice. I conceived of a device that could be used to get the disc back. I made it this morning out of PVC pipe, drywall screws, and a rope.

Here it is:

3416185320_2f5738c7f8.jpg

There are drywall screws on both the top and bottom of the "L" shape, so that no matter which side it lands on, the screws can "catch" the disc, and allow it to be dragged across the ice to the shore:

3416185822_7dcc2068d1.jpg

3416186048_20cdcd3dc1.jpg

3416186596_80f9fe2206.jpg

So there. While we were out today, another guy threw his disc on the ice, and the retriever almost got it, but a weak spot opened up underneath as we were dragging and the disc sank. Oh, well. I'll keep this device in the trunk of my car from now on, especially in early spring and late fall.

By the way, another way to retrieve a disc on thin ice can be seen on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geb04PebJuo Pretty funny.

Last edited:
I played with a guy on Wednesday from out of town, and he showed me the Golden Retriever that he carries that he got from disc-diver.com. The thing is very compact and works really cool. He told me with that in his bag, he doesn't worry about playing around water. I plan on buying one, because the contraption that I built is too bulky to carry around, and only works on floating discs.

I go with equipment (some kinda retriever) and he's called a Bear dawg. When we were at the 05 Worlds in Allentown, he was able to dive down 5 to 6', stayed under for 30 seconds and came up with the disc from the crystal clear water.

This year alone, he's pulled in over 620 discs including 60 at USDGC, 90 at the Virginia Open, 52 at the Vibram Open and 39 at the W. Virginia Open. Occasionally I lose some that are out of his range but no way I'm going out to get them. :)

What breed? Did you train him at all? My wife is nagging me to get a dog, if we have to at least I'd like it to retrieve discs.

I had to pull up this old thread to share my retrieval story. I was playing disc golf at Memorial Park yesterday. Hole 6 requires a drive over a small tributary of the Wisconsin River. This tributary is frozen and earlier in the spring we were able to walk across it. Now, the ice is still there, but it's too thin to walk on. Sure enough, my drive caught a low-hanging branch, and my disc landed on the middle of the ice. I conceived of a device that could be used to get the disc back. I made it this morning out of PVC pipe, drywall screws, and a rope.

Here it is:

3416185320_2f5738c7f8.jpg

There are drywall screws on both the top and bottom of the "L" shape, so that no matter which side it lands on, the screws can "catch" the disc, and allow it to be dragged across the ice to the shore:

3416185822_7dcc2068d1.jpg

3416186048_20cdcd3dc1.jpg

3416186596_80f9fe2206.jpg

So there. While we were out today, another guy threw his disc on the ice, and the retriever almost got it, but a weak spot opened up underneath as we were dragging and the disc sank. Oh, well. I'll keep this device in the trunk of my car from now on, especially in early spring and late fall.

By the way, another way to retrieve a disc on thin ice can be seen on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geb04PebJuo Pretty funny.

The best youtube video ever... You would have to be a DGer to understand.

I am a big fan of the golden retriever. if i have to i will go into the water, but a few of the courses around here have cesspool's of water and my 8 dollar disc is not worth the potential disease and treatment to go after it. one tip though is to make sure you anchor the end of your rope to something so you don't lose your retriever trying to get your disc

I love the retriever!... when you can see your disc. If there are lilies or any other plant life it is pretty much useless, it's also no good if your disc is floating.

I am a big fan of the golden retriever. if i have to i will go into the water, but a few of the courses around here have cesspool's of water and my 8 dollar disc is not worth the potential disease and treatment to go after it. one tip though is to make sure you anchor the end of your rope to something so you don't lose your retriever trying to get your disc

Funny that you say that. We were playing the links course, and my brother in law felt like trying out my brother's new golden retriever we bought him. We're at the third pin, and he's standing on the embankment saying how many discs he is sure he is going to pull up with this thing. He unwinds it (like I say this is the inaugural use) and promptly throws into the water, string flying through his hand. It was the funniest, Oh crap I can't believe I did that moment ever. He spent the next half an hour in the water just trying to find the retriever.

Good stuff.

Just hop in the water! Be a man and unleash that inner beast inside of you.

Just hop in the water! Be a man and unleash that inner beast inside of you.

I like to let the inner laziness emerge, and I'll try to get it with my golden retriever first. However, it doesn't work if you can't get it under the lip, so I'm not opposed to a dip.

I plan on getting the Golden Retriever this year. Love srm's story about needing to retrieve the retriever. I'll make sure to tie it off to something....

I have a retriever that some guy in AZ makes and sells. Its three pairs of screwdrivers bent into J's and welded together into JL shapes, then welded together at the bases into a cross shape. Looks like a grappling hook.

Well worth the money. If there's a disc there, it will get it. Unfortunately its almost too good, because it will grab other stuff too. I've pulled out everything from tin cans, old shoes, tree branches, a metal rake head, plastic bags, even a tire. Some random guy on the course called it a "robsta craw" once, and the name stuck.

What breed? Did you train him at all? My wife is nagging me to get a dog, if we have to at least I'd like it to retrieve discs.

Fairly certain that since he joined, June of last year, and hasn't posted more than that 1 time he probably won't see this. I'm assuming his dog is a labrador. They naturally take to water well and have been bred to be a retrieving dog. Best of all is their "soft mouth" so you get the disc minus puncture holes. You definitely would need to train whatever dog you get, but if you start early and are disciplined about it, you should have compliant fetching dog. Now getting a dog to dive for discs if it doesn't naturally want to do it ... well not sure how to train that.

I use a Golden Retriever. I was talking to Kyle at Phenix disc golf (the straps, and the phenix bag) and he said that there will be a new version soon, of a golden retriever that you only have to get out the necessary string, and not unwind all your string. My golden retreiver came with two strings one attached about 20 feet long and another I have somewhere in the bottom of my bag that I have never used. I have used it on about 20 of my discs, and about 20 of other peoples discs. I did loan it to one guy and he threw it in string an all... He did the swimming for it... :)

I'd just like to join the chorus of folks saying the golden retriever is a great product and completely worth $25 b/c it works so well. When people ask me about it I say tat if you can see your disc then you will get it back. Don't be dumb and drag it and your disc quickly and stir up the bottom of a muddy pond though. Just be patient and everything will come out fine. I've got both strings tied together which gets you upto 50 or 55'.

It also works well getting your disc back when a pond is iced over. The retriever can't quite get under the rim of your disc but you can throw the device way past your disc and then tug ever-so-carefully and scoot your disc back across the ice and into your grubby little miss throwing mitt again.

Now who's going to make a retractable claw? That's really the only thing I would like better :D

Does it work well for random throwing & pulling back to pick up discs?

Or any suggestions on how to increase visibility with goggles while underwater? Just too much dirt floating around its really dark underwater at most of my parks.

I go with equipment (some kinda retriever) and he's called a Bear dawg. When we were at the 05 Worlds in Allentown, he was able to dive down 5 to 6', stayed under for 30 seconds and came up with the disc from the crystal clear water.

This year alone, he's pulled in over 620 discs including 60 at USDGC, 90 at the Virginia Open, 52 at the Vibram Open and 39 at the W. Virginia Open. Occasionally I lose some that are out of his range but no way I'm going out to get them. :)

I thought I saw a video somewhere of your famous dog... if you could provide us with a link or some videos that would be awesome. I'd like to show it too my black lab :D

Does it work well for random throwing & pulling back to pick up discs?

Or any suggestions on how to increase visibility with goggles while underwater? Just too much dirt floating around its really dark underwater at most of my parks.

No, if you can't see the disc you really don't have much of a chance getting it out using any device at all. The retriever is completely worth the money and if you can see your disc (and it is within 50') you will get it back. Don't be dumb and stir up a lot of mud or anything and you'll be fine.

Latest posts