• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc diving vs some kinda retriever

I don't have a retriever, I just go in after the disc. Although, I have to say that the golden retriever looks like it works pretty way, I may consider picking up one of those. I've spent a lot of time in Freeman Lake fishing out discs, all year round. If I can see a disc, I'm not leaving it!

I recall after Pro Worlds in Houston a local volunteer attempted to be very nice and retrieve everyones discs... and the guy ended up in the hospital with some nasty liver infection or some
kind of near death experience. The guy was a strapin' country boy looking guy too.

Stay out of stagnant ponds.

I recall after Pro Worlds in Houston a local volunteer attempted to be very nice and retrieve everyones discs... and the guy ended up in the hospital with some nasty liver infection or some
kind of near death experience. The guy was a strapin' country boy looking guy too.

Stay out of stagnant ponds.

Last year at a Maple Hill (Leicester, Ma) tournament a guy sat in 2 of the ponds all day. After the 2nd round he dumped a box of discs on the ground. He must have pulled out close to 50 discs. It was almost funny teeing off on a hole and seeing someone's head poking up from the water near the other side.

As for going in, I'm not against going in but discs are cheap and I'm never looking forward to what I might step on in some of these ponds.

so the only way is to feel around with your feet? What about a diving light and goggles? Will the light help even if the water is very muddy?

The lake I play it is a drinking water reservoir. No contact is allowed. It really sucks on hot days. There are tons of discs in there.

I don't get it. The fish all pee in the lake. Nobody's kicking them out.

The lake I play it is a drinking water reservoir. No contact is allowed. It really sucks on hot days. There are tons of discs in there.

I don't get it. The fish all pee in the lake. Nobody's kicking them out.

That does suck. If people can canoe/kayak in there then I would think you could use something to drag discs out without going in. We've got one like that up here in Ma. It sucks.

I recall after Pro Worlds in Houston a local volunteer attempted to be very nice and retrieve everyones discs... and the guy ended up in the hospital with some nasty liver infection or some kind of near death experience. The guy was a strapin' country boy looking guy too.
That was Jimbo Slusher back in ~2002. Like 20 days in the hospital with a 100+ fever before he recovered.

Jimbo is currently battling lung cancer. :(

I don't think you could pay me enough to wade into the pond at the course I play at. Fish hooks, old rusty trash cans punk kids throw in off the course, etc...

I guess plastic hasn't gotten so expensive that I would risk my own health to get it back vs. buying another. Sucks to walk away from them though...

That's really sad. What would cause that? Bacterial infection?

My favorite course has a similar problem. The pond on hole #7 is supposedly infected with Naegleria Fowleri or "the brain-eating amoeba". So there's no way I'm going in there after my discs. I do see people swimming in there with dry suits to get discs pretty often though.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=396&mode=gal#

I'm thinking of buying "the golden retriever" but I'm sort-of waiting for one of my friends to get one first and see how they like it.

I've never used a Golden Retriever. I have a feel our lake has too much crap on the bottom. I do use a Fat Max Extreme. It goes out 13 feet.

33-890_mid_res.jpg

That's really sad. What would cause that? Bacterial infection?
I don't remember exactly what it was... bacteria, parasite, something like that.

I've never used a Golden Retriever. I have a feel our lake has too much crap on the bottom. I do use a Fat Max Extreme. It goes out 13 feet.

33-890_mid_res.jpg

So am I to understand that you can use the hook on the tape measure to fish discs out of water/ditches? Is it also sturdy enough to extend a few feet above you and poke discs out of trees?

I may have to pick one of those up...

I just used mine the other day at Pye Brook (I need to take and upload some pictures now that the seasonal ponds are reconstituted). I certainly wouldn't go into any of the 5-6 ponds there since the entire park is built on a landfill.

It's just plastic folks. This is why you retire ace discs. If the mold is still available nothing should be irreplaceable.

So am I to understand that you can use the hook on the tape measure to fish discs out of water/ditches? Is it also sturdy enough to extend a few feet above you and poke discs out of trees?

I may have to pick one of those up...
The extreme can extend out 13' perpendicular to the ground before it buckles. The "non-extreme" are 11 I think. If you happen to get stuck in a tree you can usually use branches to stabilize it and get it higher than that. I also use it to fish discs out of poison oak or through barbed wire fences.

They're pricey but considering the amount of plastic I've retrieved it's a good investment.

...and there's never an uncertainty about if someone is out of the circle or it a disc is two meters up.

Stanley should be paying me for this.

Bear

I thought I saw a video somewhere of your famous dog... if you could provide us with a link or some videos that would be awesome. I'd like to show it too my black lab :D

I'm sorry I haven't been on this site in almost a year. You can go to youtube and key in disc diving dog and a video or two of Bear will come up where he's in a pool and he's wearing a yellow vest.

He also made a couple appearances in last years Vibram Open DVD and should have some prime coverage in this years version as I know there were several videos of him going out and doing blind dives. On at least a half dozen occasions, he stayed under over 15 seconds and came up with the discs. He ended up getting out 76 at the Vibram Open and 91 at the Virginia Open. He'll be at the USDGC in Rock Hill next month.

If you check out Disc Golf Monthly, he's on 3 or 4 episodes there. 08 and 09 Va Open, Sedgley Woods New Years Day 08 are a few others.

Attachments

• Chrisnbear.jpg
    Chrisnbear.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
  • downsized_0810091806.jpg
    downsized_0810091806.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts