• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Draft Round

SaROCaM

Double Eagle Member
Here's a way to play that came to mind:

Let's say there are four players, each with an empty bag. There is a pool of 32 discs in front of them (8 putters, 8 mids, 8 fairway drivers, 8 distance drivers) from which they will build their bags for the round. Player 1 chooses any disc and bags it. Player 2 chooses a disc. Player 3 chooses a disc. Player 4 chooses a disc, and then chooses another disc since he/she had the last pick. Then Player 3 picks a disc, Player 2 picks a disc, and then Player 1 chooses a disc, and then another, since he/she had the last pick for the second round. They repeat the process until each player has a bag of 8 discs, then they play the round each using the 8 discs they drafted.

The numbers can be tweaked. Maybe there are only 20 discs for the 4 players, so each will end up with a 5-disc bag.

With smaller numbers, there can be tougher decisions to be made with the picks. If there are only 5 putters, and Player 1 starts off with a non-putter selection, then it is possible that Player 1 will not get to pick a putter.

Has anyone heard of this or done this? It seems like a fun idea to me, as it would let people play with discs they may not usually use. Also, having a limited bag would test one's skills of manipulating discs to fly different lines. Plus there is some strategy involved in drafting one's bag of discs in the first place.

Thoughts?

This is actually a really cool idea, plus I can putt with anything, I've tried a Flat Top Firebird before. I'm thinking that I might have to do this with a buddy of mine and we only get 5 discs. I might add more than 10 discs to make the selection harder. As long as I have my KC Roc and a moderately OS driver I should be fine.

I just played exactly this format with 2 of my buddies the other week. We each brought a handful of discs that we thought the opponents would hate and made sure that everyone had 2 drivers 2 mids and a putter. We drove around to 3 different courses keeping score and at the end we were very surprised to see how well we shot using discs that we have never thrown before. For example, my bag one round was a champ mamba, z heat, r pro dart, some mid that I can't remember and a beat up magnet. To make it even more interesting we added rules saying that the same disc may not be used twice in a row, every disc must be used throughout the round, and after each round we would draft a new set of discs.

Very fun format to mix things up from the usual way to play the game!

Wouldn't most people just draft their own discs though? Or do you make a rule that you can't?

So, each player contributes the discs that are in the pool?
I am envisioning that the pile of discs could be composed of my carefully chosen discs in each category, along with a pile of crap that includes really awesome submissions such as 7 beat to heck red DX wraiths, each retrieved from a pond with people's names and numbers still on them. And, when you ask why there are so many Wraiths given there are only 4 of you playing, at least one player will claim they use that Wraith for their "midrange" (or putter, for all I know).

I like playing with new discs. And, I often challenge myself by using very different discs for different situations. But I don't like using discs that are in cruddy condition; and I expect that the discs would be cruddy, because few people would risk their favorites for others to damage or lose.

This would be most fun if no one mold was repeated, and if you beat a player on a hole, you could demand a trade.

I like the idea. I do think avoiding picking your own Disc from said pile should be important. Either make it so you can't pick your own, or everyone go to local store and buy a bunch of DX discs :)

I'll enjoy watching the ideas progress. Cheers!

Here is my first draft of a sample set of discs to draft. No duplicate molds. Variety of plastics (I didn't specify any.) Again, this is a sample of what a pool of discs could look like. Thinking about it more, I think it would make each pick more meaningful if there was a smaller pool of discs. I know I would want to pick my putter first since that is what I consider the most important disc in my bag. Someone else might really rely on a certain disc, like a Firebird, for example, and make that his/her first pick. Other considerations would be: the weather, the course, the other players (if you know their games/styles of play.) For instance, would you take the Firebird instead of another disc that better suits your game just to mess with the Firebird thrower?

What would your first pick be out of this pool, assuming you were Player 1 and get to go first? What about if you were Player 4; since you are the first to get to make two picks back-to-back, what two discs would you hope were around?

Disc Golf Draft Sample Disc Pool

Putters
Aviar
P2
Wizard
Judge
Harp
Pure
Challenger
Pilot

Mids
Roc
Roc3
Mako3
Buzzz
Comet
EMac Truth
Pine
Kaxe

Fairways
Teebird
Firebird
Thunderbird
Culverin
Convict
Escape
FD
River

Distance
Destroyer
Wraith
Shryke
King
Defender
Trespass
Destiny
Cutlass

This could work well for those extra throwers that people have but don't usually throw, or for those people who have lots of discs and could single-handedly put together a pool of discs like this. I'm guessing the other players would be friends, or at least people that a trusted person can vouch for. Also, maybe kick in a few bucks to cover any lost discs, or have an understanding that a lost disc must be replaced with something suitable.

Last edited:
Not exactly the same, but we did a "misfits" round during the summer- you brought the worst PDGA disc you own (that was still circular and throwable), then we divvied them up randomly. Everyone played a modified 9 hole layout with that one disc, and the highest and lowest scores earned a trophy. We brought a drill and some string to turn the world's worst discs into the world's worst bag tags, but no one actually wanted to ruin such beautiful specimens. The winner drew a Monarch and aced with it. The other "winner" drew an Opto Trident, and had some trouble with his short approaches and putting.

This sounds like a blast but I am the one who shares all my discs with my friends (and the only one that knows the difference). I would love to try it some day though.

Latest posts