• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Dyeing 101: The Basics

anyone figure out how to do tyedye with rit dye.
and hand painting with rit dye. Ive read several threads but never a good answer/formula

do you use liquid or powder dye for dipping? Does one give better results? I am considering doing some dipping and painting as well so I am trying to figure out what to get so i can get started. Also besides Black are there colors that work better than others or colors that I should avoid? I want to get about 5 or 6 colors to get started.

do you use liquid or powder dye for dipping? Does one give better results? I am considering doing some dipping and painting as well so I am trying to figure out what to get so i can get started. Also besides Black are there colors that work better than others or colors that I should avoid? I want to get about 5 or 6 colors to get started.

All of these questions are anwered around here, but to put it easy, both powder and liquid work. Some swear by one or the other, but some of the colors aren't offered in both forms. I prefer liquid, but the powder that I have to use works fine.
The best colors are Scarlet, Royal Blue, and Black. The rest are hit-or miss, might have to be a little more specific, but you will find that not all colors dye plastic the same way they dye fabric.

All of these questions are anwered around here, but to put it easy, both powder and liquid work. Some swear by one or the other, but some of the colors aren't offered in both forms. I prefer liquid, but the powder that I have to use works fine.
The best colors are Scarlet, Royal Blue, and Black. The rest are hit-or miss, might have to be a little more specific, but you will find that not all colors dye plastic the same way they dye fabric.

Thanks for the info. As far as colors like I said I am just getting started so I wanted to get a few basic colors that would get me started. Can you recommend a green and yellow color? What about any to avoid? I don't want to :wall: any more than I have to.

I am thinking I will start with a single color whole disc dye. I have seen this done and I have a disc or 2 that would benefit from this. I just ordered my free vinyl so after that I want to try some stencils.

Thanks for the help. I am a dye noob. LOL just when I thought I had enough disc golf related stuff in my life.

I know it is best to avoid dying used discs but if I am doing solid color would that be ok? What is the issue with dying used discs other than scuffs leaving a place for dye to get under the vinyl?

I know it is best to avoid dying used discs but if I am doing solid color would that be ok? What is the issue with dying used discs other than scuffs leaving a place for dye to get under the vinyl?

Used discs are fine but as you said the scuffs can create bleeds. If you are doing a solid color there shouldn't be any problems. As for a green color I would recommend Kelly Green. I haven't done any yellows yet but I think I have read that the sunshine yellow has worked well for most. You may want to get confirmation on that though lol.

I dyed my first two discs yesterday. I did two glow champ discs that I throw a lot and always have a hard time finding because they are a washed out white color. The champ whippet went yellow and my eagle went blue. I got a ss dye pot and 4 nice large Tupperware containers for mixed dye for $10 at goodwill.

It was good to get the hang of what I needed to do to my stove to get the temp right. After I did the whippet I decided to do something a little different to the eagle. Since I got a shallow pan to make it easy to get the disc in an out I was able to dye the disc and then hold it above the surface of the dye so that only the middle was in the dye. That created a really cool effect that made the middle darker where the stamp was. It was only possible because I have a shallow pan.

I'm working on some designs for my other discs when I get my vinyl.

When doing a multicolor dye I run into the problem of adhesive residue in the places that were previously masked. How do you remove the residue without effecting the first color or the rest of the adhesive?

As an example I dyed a sun and moon design, I cut the whole thing and removed the pieces that I wanted gray/dark blue first, then removed the pieces I wanted light blue and lastly the yellow. In between dippings I spent a while with some rubbing alchohol getting rid of the adhesive residue. It came out pretty nice but was a pain.

Attachments

• Sun and Moon.gif
    Sun and Moon.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 68
Can you dye white on a non white disc?

Can you use this?
l6zd9PfbY7X82Z82l_zMr2rI4aCJWWyhbN90GE3JACOArRlBV0JhWKX7omeXMtJ3kvXzf5m5V2pqHRF6m_KcFaHZGXzkX_-612p_9LREH5eSRU9CcMblnaHl7cpTvOTiJEJUJ9jizNXnoO0jRL7D1AiUaJJF9e5ksAZsQHPj_wFG9MmDdyWZs7RWtQlpzE9NsytCG6kHHoMkYSQqMRPYCtAsqvMwuw

or

51KhHyYg5aL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can't make a non white disc white. The only way to get white on a disc is to start with a white disc.

you can't make a disc white, no matter what you use. not bleach, not color remover, not white wash.

^missed the point wanted to know if the whitewash or color remover will remove INK or DYE that was put on a disc.

Got my FREE VINYL from 3M yesterday, and did a little 'practice' I might call it. Short of the vinyl and some ideas, I have little equipment to go with so far.

I need an xacto set I know for sure. However I did cut a simple logo with a regular work razor and I was impressed how easy it was to cut the vinyl, and not the backing.

I used an old monitor for my lightbox. Just put a white screen on it, taped my printed image to the monitor, then the vinyl taped over that. I drew the image out with a pen, then cut it out on a backboard. Next time, I will just cut on the monitor without drawing first. I think.

I'm just using what I have on hand to get the gist of the whole proccess, so one inch blue painters tape was what I had, and I used it. For this particular image, it worked just fine.

Applying to disc went well, even tho I neglected the outline, and center mark. There were no real bubbles to speak of. I think because using a rounded monitor screen was a good choice to press a rounded disc to. Maybe I just got lucky.

Weeding. This is where I screwed up, and rushed into it. First thing I weed was supposed to stay. Oh well, that's fine. It's a mock run afterall. Maybe if I made it thru weeding, I would have gone on to dye with what dye I have.

Any one have any input? Advice? Shoot.

Well if you want an easy to make light box there are instructions on here. With the instructions you can make one for about $25. For and xacto just stick with the basic. There are swivel xactos that will help with curves that may work for you. I have tried them a few times but just don't have as good of luck with them. To make weeding easier you can mark the pieces that you need to weed to make sure that you aren't pulling off the wrong pieces.

Latest posts