• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc for a 4 Year Old

Osmo

*I whine a lot*
I want to get my Son his own Disc. I dont wanna just go get him a Frisbee cause thats not gonna teach him much. i want something easy for small hands and light.

Any suggestions?

Get him a light Innova Cobra or a Shark. I have two sons, 6 and 4 and they both throw the Cobra and Shark. The 6 yr. old also has a 150 Roc that he throws. I just got them both 147 and 150 Lat64Diamonds. I also have a 150 Scorpion, 150 Valkyrie and a 150 Wraith. I won't let them throw the Valk or the Wraith yet but have them when they get a little stronger and older. Also look into getting them very light weight putters...they have Wizards in the 140g range and you can get Aviars in light weights too.

How bout a Hero Super-Sonic. It's a small diameter light weight lid/dog disc, but is avaialble in champ/star plastic.

My 2 year old often throw my full weight putters when I practice outside.
Not successfully I might add. He only throws tomahawks.
Buy innova 120-class. I will as he gets older and teachable.

That's my Swedish Krona. :)

Thanks for the input. i went with an orange Polecat at 100g. I did fidn the EDGE Program Discs on Disc Golf Values but the 100g one I found on DGC is withing the EDGE program weight range so I am happy with it.

Now I need to get a bag in a player pack this year for him.

I like the Polecats but their rims are a little big for small hands....that's why I went with the Cobra to begin with because they have a small rim.

150g range is okay for the youngsters. They'll be able to handle that for many years until they learn all the ins and outs of the game. My son actually started off with some of my 166-170g stuff at 5 yrs old. It was ok because we didn't play a whole lot anyways until he turned 7 and could keep up with everyone else and play the whole 18+ hole course.

By then I showed him different throwing styles and how different molds fly different than others. His bag is now mostly mids and putters with the exception of a few mild fairway drivers for him to mess around with. He really likes the thumbers and tomahawk throws and is starting to get the hang of them but he knows that if you throw too many, you'll get sore.

For me it was just keeping him interested in the sport so we can hang-out more. Now he wants to go every time we go disc'n! He's even been with me on our course design excursions. Lot's of fun.

I like the Polecats but their rims are a little big for small hands....that's why I went with the Cobra to begin with because they have a small rim.

Thats true. I have a Cobra and the rim is pretty easy to handle. I will get him a couple new discs for his birthday in july. Probable get him a shark and cobra with more weight then the 100g polecat. Probable get him a cheapo bag if i dont get one in a player pack by then.

Got my 6 yo nephew a 150 Wizard to play with. Its light enough, and with its smaller rounded rim, less likely to kill the rest of us when he roundhouses with it.

I've been trying to get MVP to make a super light weight Ion because both my sons just love the Ion. They always fight over who gets to throw my second one. I don't think MVP will make a lightweight putter for a long time....too much on their plate at the moment..would be nice though.

Latest posts