• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc for a 4 Year Old

I've been trying to get MVP to make a super light weight Ion because both my sons just love the Ion. They always fight over who gets to throw my second one. I don't think MVP will make a lightweight putter for a long time....too much on their plate at the moment..would be nice though.

That would be cool. Can't be that much work to run lightweight runs can it?

Light and shallow rimmed. My daughter uses 150g Wolf, Shark, Stingray, Aviar. She's age 11 now and crushes the Diamond and a 150g XL.

More than the disc....have fun.

That would be cool. Can't be that much work to run lightweight runs can it?

I'm not sure about the process of how they make their discs. But from what I've been told there are a lot of people who want MVP to make some lighter weight Ions/Axis and Vectors. I'll just be patient and when they do finally make light weight putters I'll grab a bunch.

I got a 130g EDGE Shark for our 4 year old grandson and he is doing fairly well with it ~ every once in a while he gets a great throw with a 146 TeeBird. (RHBH)

I don' know much, but I GOT this one. seriously:

Aerobie Squidgie.

SqDisc-Main-ForWeb250.jpg

Here's the deal:

It's soft, so soft you can roll it up like a burrito. You can throw it at a childs face, and they will not get hurt, probably laugh. Therefore, you and your child can play catch, which is 10000000x better to learn with.

It is NOT understable. It is neutral and teaches very good golf form for kids, believe it or not. It will hyzer out on throws under 100ft. it is small, very light, and extremely easy to grip for the smallest hands. It is VERY fun to throw, even for an adult disc golfer.

My son started throwing this at 4 years old, and he can now accurately hit me in the chest (playing the fade!) at 5 1/2 years old.... from 60 -70 feet away.

Any regular adult sized golf disc that is just dumbed down to light weights will still be WAAAY to big for a 4-6 year old's hands. trust me. The next step up from the squidgie is a 100g polecat, those are cool too. But seriously, get a squidgie. You can find them at Dick's sporting goods for like 6-7 bucks.

I don' know much, but I GOT this one. seriously:

Aerobie Squidgie.

SqDisc-Main-ForWeb250.jpg

Here's the deal:

It's soft, so soft you can roll it up like a burrito. You can throw it at a childs face, and they will not get hurt, probably laugh. Therefore, you and your child can play catch, which is 10000000x better to learn with.

It is NOT understable. It is neutral and teaches very good golf form for kids, believe it or not. It will hyzer out on throws under 100ft. it is small, very light, and extremely easy to grip for the smallest hands. It is VERY fun to throw, even for an adult disc golfer.

My son started throwing this at 4 years old, and he can now accurately hit me in the chest (playing the fade!) at 5 1/2 years old.... from 60 -70 feet away.

Any regular adult sized golf disc that is just dumbed down to light weights will still be WAAAY to big for a 4-6 year old's hands. trust me. The next step up from the squidgie is a 100g polecat, those are cool too. But seriously, get a squidgie. You can find them at Dick's sporting goods for like 6-7 bucks.

Already got a 100g polecat coming and he can throw my discs okay already. no need to start with something else.

I have a 5 year old and when he was 4 I got him a blank Ion and had our local guy dye the penguins from "Penguins of Madagascar" on it. I figure at this age he's just out having fun with dad so it doesn't really matter what kind of disc it is or what weight it is. Half the time he just wants to walk with me anyway and not throw. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the "correct" disc for a 4 year old.

Floppy

I have 5 kids. I recommend a floppy putter. I think Gateway has some super soft putters. The floppy disc tend to be a bit under-stable for me but go straighter for the young kids. Plus when the hang on to long and smack you in the head it doesn't hurt as much.

Lighter weight is nice but with the floppy putter you can get a little heavier and they can learn to snap their wrist more.

Good luck:D

I got my brother a ulw wizard, I weighed it and it was under 130g. I don't know the availability of getting one because mine was free when I bought a bunch of discs. They also make ulw pro leopards which are good for the little ones.

150 Rancho Rocs are sweet. I remember playing with my daughter one time and she left her 150 Roc in a basket and a few holes later a guy yelled from across the course and held the disc up to see if it was ours. I raised my hand and gave him the universal go ahead and throw it to us gesture. He threw it dead nuts stright right at my raised hand from about 300' away and I did not move a muscle and the disc hit my hand.