• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Gator Giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
9XEN63L.jpg

The guys at Disc Gator were cool enough to send me a prototype of their disc retriever a while back. I played with it and after it easily saved my discs a few times (while I stayed nice and dry), I became a fan of the device and wanted to give some away on DGCR. I'll be giving 2 away on the site, one on Facebook and one on Instagram. Before you ask, no, you can't win more than one! And hey, maybe some other stuff will find it's way into the box, who knows?

I thought it might be fun to have the entry requirement be to share one of your more interesting disc retrieval stories, photos or videos (or a mix of the three). Or maybe a story about a disc that was unretrievable after you grip locked it into a pit full of lions and snakes, an odd but fairly common hazard in Upstate NY.

I'll go through, read them and pick my two favorites. Sound good? Good!

The giveaway ends on 3/4 at midnight EST.

Sounds like an awesome product, and thanks for allowing us the chance to win them! I lost faith in the golden retriever...

I still remember my first lost disc. This was before I even heard of disc golf. I had just turned 13 and was on a cross-country road trip with my family. For my birthday, I had just gotten a very cool frisbee. Up until then, I was used to just throwing around the cheap plastic giveaway frisbees, so to have an actual real frisbee was pretty cool.

We were staying at a small motel in Abilene, TX. My brother and I were outside throwing my new frisbee around when it got away from me and landed on the roof. We tried everything we could to get it down, but alas, that motel roof became it's final resting place (for me at least).

The flex in the pole ~1:26 doesn't give me a ton of confidence. Looks like a cool product though, if it holds up.

I play the Beaver Island course on Grand Island fairly regualry during the summer. Last summer there was construction on the sewage drains. One of the drains was covered by a piece of ply wood near a fairway. Of course, there was hole big enoug for a disc to roll into. I thought to myself it would be funny if a a disc ended up in there. Well, I took one of my friends out to play for his first or second time and of course he threw the disc into the hole. It was quite the adventure trying to lower myself in the hole without touching the bottom becuase I did not know what was in there. Though I did successfully retieve the disc.

A course in my hometown borders some houses backyards. I threw a disc over some dudes fence. I asked him to toss it back to me, he said give me 5 bucks and I will. I told him that I didn't have 5$, and he said well looks like I'm keeping it. I said you're kidding right?! He wasn't kidding...complete douche. Told him to **** off and shove the disc up his ass.

I missed the "Story" part.

The very first disc I lost was actually from an up-shot that sailed WAAAAY past the basket (damn you GL Fuse Glide) and ended up in the DISGUSTING stagnant water at Riverside Park. Considering I'd never lost a disc at that point, and the fact that fuse was the FIRST deal I'd ever done here on DGCR (rest it's poor, plastic soul) and It was my most accurate and frequently used mid for upshots I had to get it back.

Well, 30 minutes of wading in the worst smelling water around produced nothing for me except a foot I sliced open and was drawing in probably the most bacteria filled water imaginable. I only stopped searching for the disc because I was afraid of my foot be amputated from such disgusting exposure.

To recap, I lost my favorite mid that day, as well as a pair of shorts that weren't fit for anything after that wade aside from burning and I retained an awesome smell the entire ride home.

Not saying that the gator would have helped in that situation, but I would SURELY love to avoid such cases in the future!

Hole number 2 at Schenley in Pittsburgh, Pa. Now if you are familiar at all with this park, this seems impossible. It's a wide open downhill bomber hole with a street that wraps around to the top of the hill (deemed overlook hill). Well a couple of us were throwing off some drives and l pulled out a disc that one of the "local pros" (read huge arm and great player, but not actually a pro) had never heard of this newer company "latitude 64" and asked to toss my disc. I, of course, have no problem with such a request. He just rips it clean and at a slight hyzer. Of course those of us who know what a latitude river is, will know that someone who bombs 450+ on a regular basis probably shouldn't go full force on a river. It flips up, turns over and rides an Anny all the way down the hill to the street where it just started to fade back to flat... right into the gutter. No skip on the road. Just an extremely loud CRACK from the full impact of the back of the gutter. Which is apparently a huge pit that goes a seemingly endless distance downwards into the hill. Never saw that beautiful lavashift again.

Heck of a bullseye though.

Heres a link to the picture though: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=106&mode=media#

I had a really sketchy experience just the other day. I had just gone out and picked up a brand new ESP force that I was loving after just 4 throws. So I come up to this beautiful 415' drive along a magnificent winding river that is covered in slushy ice. I know there is no way I'm hitting the river with this brand new disc so I line her up and let 'er rip. Well all the turn that I was getting on previous throws was non existent and I ended up rippin off a huge hyzer bomb into the very middle of that gorgeous slushy river. Singing the happy song of the lost disc tribe I wander over to the closest entry point and contemplate how much I like that disc and how badly I want to possibly go for a freezing cold river swim. I decide I really like the disc and work up the courage to take the first step onto the ice. My foot promptly squishes 6" into the slush and stops on (hopefully) solid ice. I decided with one foot already soaked I might as well go for gold and begin the awkward shuffle/waddle 30' onto the ice /slush to retrieve that beautiful disc. Halfway back I find a soft spot and my left leg drives through the ice up to my knee. I swore at that moment I would soon be on the local news "idiot falls through ice over a $15 frisbee". Luckily the rest of the ice held and I wiggled my leg out of the hole and crawled the rest of the way to the bank. Once back on safe land I count my blessings and run back to my car before I lose my foot. Man I love disc golf.

At Medard Park, hole number 13, I lost a disc. The basket is perched on a ridge, and it drops off in three possible directions. At the bottom of each is a muck pond. Well, I poked all around that pond, but didn't go in, and then went home. Welllll... this particular disc bothered me a lot (173 gr star mako) So I went back in the afternoon. I thought, "It has to be right there!"
Well, first step bought muck....Second step brought the bite from a small moccasin (no freaking lie)...third stumble brought the disc. I drove home with a swollen foot, circled the bite marks, and after 24 hours determined that it was a minor envenomation. Why was this disc important? On the inside of the rim were the words "Happy Father's Day, Love Armand"

Well, my morning today was actually spent in the creek.

We had our annual Icebowl over the weekend and there is a nice creek running along hole #10. If you lose control or push it too far out over the creek, it will end up in the water. Now since we have had a ton of snow this month and all of a sudden the weather turned nice the creek was swollen with snow melt, you couldn't even see the bottom in many places.

A number of discs went in the creek and I attempted to get them out. I was dry after 2 discs were retrieved, but misjudged what i thought was a solid bank and was soaked up to my knees getting disc 3, at least I saw disc 4 at the same time so it was a twofer.

Needless to say this could have been prevented with a Gator. My boots, and clothes would have thanked the Gator all day. (at least I had a change of pants and socks/shoes in the car or Work would have been really sucky.)

At Cain Park in Athens, TX there's this tall evergreen in the middle of the 17th fairway. All by itself, just sitting there trying to eat discs. Well I threw a nice long drive; good elevation, good line, right into the top fourth of the tree. Me and my friend spent about thirty minutes with half full Gatorade bottles, rocks, sticks, everything we could find. We actually hit the disc I think twice, but it was jammed in to good it didn't move. Finally, angry and frustrated I grabbed my least favorite disc from my bag, lined up, and threw it as hard as I could at the stuck disc. It of course got stuck, and I wasn't nearly as close to hitting the disc as I'd been when I pictured it in my head. After the I told you so's and my friend calling me stupid, we resumed throwing the sticks and Gatorade bottles. Eventually one of us got lucky and got the original disc down, but the disc I threw in frustration we could not get. We spent maybe 45 minutes under the tree, and of course when we played the course later, the disc was gone. No phone call ever came, that disc was lost due to my own stupidity. Cain Park has several holes with dense woods several more with water. It's claimed at least two Sidewinders on the same hole because it's got dense woods AND water. It's tried to take many more, but searching and using my Golden Retriever have gotten many back. Cain is my nemesis.

I'm kinda sad that chalos told that story because as the friend that called him stupid and such i really wanted to share that with you guys. Instead I guess I'll tell about the time that I threw a disc in a narrow wooded area and landed on the side of a creek. After my throw chalos made a toss and his landed almost exactly on top of mine. I made it to the discs first so I volunteered to climb down and grab them, after handing him his disc I looked back down and reached for mine and noticed it was sitting on top of a copperhead. Thinking I was lucky to have made away with one disc venom free I decided to get out of the creek as fast as possible and that we could come back later and hope the snake had wandered off. 6 or 7 holes later he recieved a phone call asking if he had lost a disc recently. It turned out someone playing a few holes behind us saw the disc and went to retrieve it and "took care" of the snake. I know thats probably not a very likely situation to run into again but a Disc Gator might have made that a bit easier to deal with.

I'm kinda sad that chalos told that story because as the friend that called him stupid and such i really wanted to share that with you guys. Instead I guess I'll tell about the time that I threw a disc in a narrow wooded area and landed on the side of a creek. After my throw chalos made a toss and his landed almost exactly on top of mine. I made it to the discs first so I volunteered to climb down and grab them, after handing him his disc I looked back down and reached for mine and noticed it was sitting on top of a copperhead. Thinking I was lucky to have made away with one disc venom free I decided to get out of the creek as fast as possible and that we could come back later and hope the snake had wandered off. 6 or 7 holes later he recieved a phone call asking if he had lost a disc recently. It turned out someone playing a few holes behind us saw the disc and went to retrieve it and "took care" of the snake. I know thats probably not a very likely situation to run into again but a Disc Gator might have made that a bit easier to deal with.

How crazy that you happened to sign up the SAME day this was posted? :| ;)

I've used my golden retriever many times. The first several times were for others discs lost during league play. I have used it for my own discs but have had to make one improvement. On my second attempt at retrieving a disc in the water I threw to a disc way out in the river, forgetting to hold onto the end of the rope!! I had to wade into the water to retrieve my retriever!! I tied a carabineer onto the end of the rope which I now attach to my belt before throwing!!

I lost a star cro in the newly constructed pond at Hideaway Park in Ruston, LA. My friends and I went in the disgusting stagnant rain water to look for it, and found several discs, but not my cro. When we got out of the water after about 30 minutes, our toenails were completely orange. They stayed this way for about a week no matter how much I tried cleaning them.

A month later, they drained the new pond in order to do more digging. During our next round, I saw a round shape in the mud about 40 feet off the bank, then I noticed several more. We must have gotten there right after it had finished draining, because we realized all these shapes were discs buried in the mud. I had already said my goodbyes to my cro, but I walked out and gathered up 5 mud-covered discs, and was reunited with my favorite midrange after a month of loneliness!

Oh, oh. Please let me believe that "taking care" of the snake would mean finding a fresh mouse death (by natural causes) to feed and entice the snake off of your disc. After all, it was really his house. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts