• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf 101...(err, 103 really)

fly_hyzer

Well, I topped myself this weekend...101 holes of disc golf in two days. Covered 250 miles, two courses, and a lot of traffic. This weekends disc golf took me all over the DFW Metroplex....Started it all out at the new 18 in McKinney, which was pretty sweet by the way. After that went well, I headed across the highway and played the old park, 18 more down. Met up with some dudes there who were headed to a sweet little 9 holes about 10 minutes down the road in Allen. Bethany Lakes is an unassuming challenge of a 9 hole and it wants to eat your discs...i saw it a couple of times. The day finished by moonlight with a hell of a bomb of a pond that ate almost 50% of the discs tossed at the time...bummer for them, but I cleared it thank god. Fun day...

Day two started of as an idea on the way home Saturday from Allen, I realized that I could break the one-double-O if I played Cedar Hill and one more course. What I didn't realize is that the three courses I opted to play on day two were going to be three of the hardest courses I had ever played, but a hell of a lot of fun! Started out making my way down to Crowley from Denton and helped myself to a nice hour long cruise and a decent little wake-n-bake... Bicentennial in Crowley was a blast, but the morning air had a bite that 20-30 mph winds successfully blasted through Under Armor...still a HELL of course with more damn elevation than I have ever encountered in TX. Luckily the winds of fortune were blowing and kept me right at par (under for like half a second) up until the latter portion of the course. Still eeked out a decent score despite losing footing on a dirt tee pad and crashing to the ground like a fat kid on a greased unicycle. And even though the fall may have broken my toe (nail is black and blue and toe is SWOLLEN, ouch!) I decided nothing was stopping me from my goal once I saw the Academy after leaving the course. Stopped off, bought an instant ice pack, a tiny first aid kit for the scrapped shin, athletic tape for the toe (just taped that bitch up and then manned-up...i wanna cry now though, it was worth it!) and a new pair of that shoes I had on my feet as I tore one edge during my trek. Onward, Lester Lorch here I come...the Beaver smacked me around and then the Coyote ate my lunch. For those who play it you surely understand, for anyone else Beaver and Coyote are the names of the two 18-hole courses on the nature preserve. Those courses are excellent and well worth another trip back out once my toe heals. I really look forward to another chance at that course with a solid X-step, not the "Cripples Shuffle" I was rocking it with, but I digress.

So this weekend may have ended up, by the late stages of day two, as being more about quantity than quality... That is to say, day one was great and so was day two, but the injuries along the way of two kinda wrecked my shot quality. Fortunately the course quality was there the whole time. If you get the chance definitely play Towne Lake, Bethany Lake, Bicentennial, and Lester Lorch courses, just probably not all at once.

So, this all being said...what is anyone else weekend record? (Also, upon recount I realized that it was actually 102, and techically 103 bcs I played one hole over again with a group) I'm assuming I will see some 108's, but who has gone really nuts and exactly how did it go down? and how much was your body hating you after? Let's here it, what was your endurance record for a weekend? Travel, local, multiple courses, ect...only requirements are Weekend, and ideally non-tournament, rec round that was personally motivated.:D

awesome man! I haven't counted my most holes per weekend, but it is probably around near yours. This weekend I threw 3 courses a day starting on friday. On saturday I busted my ass and hurt my leg pretty seriously, but kept playing, today I woke up to a throbbing leg. I put a brace on and went to play three more. This afternoon I got an x-ray and I have a stress fracture just below my knee, So I played this entire weekend on a broken leg. HAHA, how's that for hardcore, although it isnt much of a "break".

108 is my record and was sore the rest of the week. I played all 54 holes at Codorus one saturday and played Calverts 18 holes 3 times the next day.

Some guy broke his leg warming up at our tourney yesterday on tee #5 at Rockburn. Apparently you could see the bone and was carted off to the ambulance. People were saying it was by far the worst disc golf injury they had ever seen. The course was all ice a few days ago, but it warmed up the day before and was very muddy the second round. The tees were either ice or mud as were around the baskets. It was messy, but still fun, except for that guy that didnt get to play.

108 is my record and was sore the rest of the week. I played all 54 holes at Codorus one saturday and played Calverts 18 holes 3 times the next day.

Some guy broke his leg warming up at our tourney yesterday on tee #5 at Rockburn. Apparently you could see the bone and was carted off to the ambulance. People were saying it was by far the worst disc golf injury they had ever seen. The course was all ice a few days ago, but it warmed up the day before and was very muddy the second round. The tees were either ice or mud as were around the baskets. It was messy, but still fun, except for that guy that didnt get to play.

I hate to hear stories like that. Just my incident was painful enough, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Seriously...my toes is resting numbly on some ice at the moment, but it's feeling better by the second since I couldn't see any bone protruding at any point...good lord! :eek:

I'm glad to hear you had a great weekend.....there's nothing they can do about a broke toe anyway so I suggest jumping jacks........ give me a hollar if your headed towards Waco on one of those roadtrips.....

I have often played 108 a day for 4 or 5 days straight. My brother and I would play in the D-FW area and usually play a couple of different courses per day playing 54 at each. I have played 140 or 150 in a day before as part of this trip. We call this Disc Golf Camp.

played in an ice bowl this past saturday - played the first 10 holes, throwing 3-5 shots per hole to warm up, then it was 20 holes for round 1... after lunch, played the first 3 holes on the other course, throwing 3-5 shots per hole to warm up, then it was another 20 holes for round 2

2nd day was a survivor day doubles tournament - I pretty much did the exact same thing as above for day 2

so in all, 80 tournament holes, 26 more for warming up purposes and thats before you consider the multiple shots per hole used to loosen up the arm haha

awesome man! I haven't counted my most holes per weekend, but it is probably around near yours. This weekend I threw 3 courses a day starting on friday. On saturday I busted my ass and hurt my leg pretty seriously, but kept playing, today I woke up to a throbbing leg. I put a brace on and went to play three more. This afternoon I got an x-ray and I have a stress fracture just below my knee, So I played this entire weekend on a broken leg. HAHA, how's that for hardcore, although it isnt much of a "break".

Sounds like Tiger Woods at the 2008 US Open!!!

(I sometimes play my best when injured because I have to really stay focused on my game to try to keep myself from thinking about the pain.)

My most holes is in one day is a measly 72 in Cincy. But I have often played 54/day for 5 or 6 days straight!

the most i played was around 81 in 24 hours. i felt like my arm was going to fall off. that is awesome; i just hope you dont drive a Hummer with the amount of driving you did and all.

Last Thursday,after getting up at 4am to drop someone off at the Milwaukee airport, I cranked out 45 holes and a physical therapy appointment by 3pm....Then I ate a sandwich and went to sleep.

Dunno what my most is, but I played 72 holes this past Saturday.

I'm lucky to have four 18 hole disc courses in my town. You can drive past all four of them and travel under 10 miles. So if I go out to play alone, it's not unusual to play all four in a day. I figure I've probably done this on both Saturday and Sunday at least a half dozen times in the last three months. That's 144 holes over a weekend.

I'm lucky to have four 18 hole disc courses in my town. You can drive past all four of them and travel under 10 miles. So if I go out to play alone, it's not unusual to play all four in a day. I figure I've probably done this on both Saturday and Sunday at least a half dozen times in the last three months. That's 144 holes over a weekend.

Last month, coming back from Raleigh, NC to Maryland, I played seven 18 holes courses in one day, including the for mentioned Rocky Mount courses.

Played 116 this weekend actually. Played my regular league play like I do every Saturday for 18 holes. Then went and took a road trip to Augusta and played Riverview, and then Patriots Park. Sunday went to Earlewood Park in Columbia to meet up with some friends and played 2 rounds, for 36. Came back to my home course, and met up with a group to play 1 more round. Afterwards, we went and played the alternate course of 8 holes. So, 54 Saturday, 54 sunday, plus 8 alternates=116.

On saturday I busted my ass and hurt my leg pretty seriously, but kept playing, today I woke up to a throbbing leg. I put a brace on and went to play three more. This afternoon I got an x-ray and I have a stress fracture just below my knee, So I played this entire weekend on a broken leg. HAHA, how's that for hardcore, although it isnt much of a "break".

Did you fall or was the stress fracture just from playing?

I got a stress fracture in my foot that broke a bone all the way through. Last October I played 2 rounds the day before a tournament. On tournament day, I got got up and it felt like there was a small bruise on the bottom of my foot but I didn't think much of it since it didn't really hurt. Half way through the second round I was driving and my foot suddenly hurt so bad I almost fell down and thought I sprained it. I finished the last 9 holes somehow, birdied 4 of them and took the intermediate win. I went to the doctor a couple times and got it healed properly, but it still feels weird sometimes.

I've never heard of any other disc golfer getting a stress fracture. Is this a result of the repetitive motions? Is there any way to help prevent this? Or is this rare in disc golf and I was just the lucky one?

No where near some of you all. My record was 63 holes on a Friday/ Saturday in the fall. I was amazed that I was able to get 2.5 rounds in at Morley (one of them was at night with LED's)

Latest posts