• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf 2012 Year End Demographics

turbosteve

Eagle Member
There is some good news from the 2012 Year End Demographics. The PDGA now estimates that over 1 million people play disc golf regularly and the PDGA ended 2012 with over 18,000 current members.

That's fantastic news and great for the overall growth of the sport. But if I am the PDGA I am concerned as to why I only have less than 2% of the total disc golfing population as members.

I think the website may be turning off potential new members. It will be interesting to see if a lot more people join than normal when the new website comes up.

That's fantastic news and great for the overall growth of the sport. But if I am the PDGA I am concerned as to why I only have less than 2% of the total disc golfing population as members.

I'm guessing pdga price?:popcorn:

98% don't play 5 tournaments per year?

I'm guessing pdga price?:popcorn:

I think both of these things are factors, but I also think the PDGA has a bit of an identity crisis. 73% of members are ams, but how much of the PDGA budget is sunk into the pro side of the sport? I think more awareness of the PDGA could be raised - and thus, more memberships - if funds were directed more toward the recreational players. That's where the growth will come from.

Actually the Ams benefit from programs targeted for Pros that they pay for with their $25/yr higher member dues.

I also think many people believe you have to be a pro to be in the PDGA. I can't tell you how many times I've told people that I was in the PDGA and they thought I was a pro disc golfer.

But to what end are the ams benefiting, and could they benefit more with less focus on the pro game? Honestly, I would like to see the PDGA split off into the ADGA and PDGA, that way there can be a clear focus from each organization. This would also eliminate some confusion about being a pro or not.

This all stems from my belief that the game will grow from the bottom up. I know not everyone agrees.

You mostly see the PDGA just using the letters and not the full words much any more. Not many under 35 know what words the letters in IBM, NCR, ATT, NEC stand for without Googling it.

I think they would do better if when you renew your membership. You would get a yearly disc with special stamp.

I believe it. Many disc golfers are truly casual, play a few to several times a year and aren't about to drop $50 on a membership that they percieve won't do squat for them. (i.e. most of them aren't avid, whereas most of us are).

I'd say 90% of them don't play any.

Once folks start playing tournaments, and start dealing with all of the related expenses and time commitments that go with that, it sort of runs at odds with the primary reasons they took up the game in the first place.

I became a member this year after playing for 10 years. I decided to become a member as I was finally going to play in some tourneys. I wanted to meet more people in the sport. Find some new players to play with. After a few events I am not for sure if I will play that many more. My last tourney was a dynamic tourney and because of them I may play another as that was a good event. But my other ones were iffy. I love the sport and love to compete. But when money becomes involved people become to serious. So I am now doubting about renewing next year. I seem to run into two players. The pot heads who don't care and are mad the others are taking it to serious. Or the jocks who take everything to serious and have to wear ear buds when they play and start kicking and throwing fits when their game is terrible.

Latest posts