• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and beer....why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beer drinkers care less about rules. Why would they care about keeping our parks clean, when they don't care that drinking beer at a public park is illegal?

You've obviously never been at a park in Wisconsin. Glass bottles, on the other hand, are against the rules at most places.

Beer drinkers care less about rules. Why would they care about keeping our parks clean, when they don't care that drinking beer at a public park is illegal?

Many public parks allow (or to be more precise, have not disallowed) drinking.

I just don't get it...so many guys play this sport while drinking beer. Not only does it not quench your thirst, it will make you play worse as well. Not banging on Beer, I love me some steak and cold lime beer ;) just don't understand the mentality to play this sport while downing some brewskies. lol..

You had me until you mentioned "lime" beer. :wall:

If we begin to discourage people from enjoying a few adult beverages...responsibly...while enjoying a recreational activity, we will quickly diminish what presents disc glf with the greatest growth potential. That it can be an enjoyable activity that can be rewarding to a large diversity of skill levels.

As with most sports, recreational participants will drive the economy of disc golf. Encouraging a culture of respect in the sport has served ball golf well (mostly). Responsibility and accountability should be the principles of the sport's unwritten code, and honor among disc golfers paramount. Then responsible consumption of alcohol on the course becomes expected. Not always achieved, but at least the standard.

That being said, this applies to casual rounds. Competitively I think you should not drink during your rounds (current rules being moot here), again because tue credibility of the sport comes in to play.

I like to have a beer or 3 during a fun round with my buddies. (which is most of them) We all try to play well, but we are out to have fun. If I am playing a tourney or something serious, I'd probably carry a Powerade or something like that with me. But really....I much enjoy having a few beers during a round.

Are we making the assumption that most of the litter on DG courses is caused by people playing DG? I know that our course gets trashed most holiday weekends by non-golfers and we spend the next month picking up all their crap.

Easter is the worst. There's confetti and plastic eggs all over.

Are we making the assumption that most of the litter on DG courses is caused by people playing DG? I know that our course gets trashed most holiday weekends by non-golfers and we spend the next month picking up all their crap.

Easter is the worst. There's confetti and plastic eggs all over.

wait you play disc golf?

I think OP asks the wrong question. It's not "why do people drink beer while playing disc golf?" that he really doesn't understand. It's "why do people drink beer?"

And that's a profound philosophical question I'm incapable of answering sober.

I usually play Sunday morning rounds, and while I'm not generally an AM drinker, I must say, 9am on the course with a cold beer (summer) or a flask of good bourbon (winter) sure beats church.

I wish this was a joke. Its so selfish and stupid to drink and drive. I used to do it almost every day. Got 2 duis. Put a big hold on life for a while. Quit drinking a few years back. I got a buddy sitting in prison for another 9 or 10 years cause a few years back he got drunk drove his truck into a family in a minivan and killed a 19 year old girl and her 2 year old brother. So please don't drink and drive and let's not make light of it with stupid comments on the internet.

Op success

I think OP asks the wrong question. It's not "why do people drink beer while playing disc golf?" that he really doesn't understand. It's "why do people drink beer?"

And that's a profound philosophical question I'm incapable of answering sober.

I usually play Sunday morning rounds, and while I'm not generally an AM drinker, I must say, 9am on the course with a cold beer (summer) or a flask of good bourbon (winter) sure beats church.

Yeah, I think Tailgating for sports, being on vacation, and playing disc golf are the times I normally wake up and drink beer. Oh and Camping, but that's pretty much being on vacation.

... I usually play Sunday morning rounds, and while I'm not generally an AM drinker, I must say, 9am on the course with a cold beer (summer) or a flask of good bourbon (winter) sure beats church.

I saw "AM drinker" and figured it was the opposite of a Pro drinker. :D

Then I see he meant "morning drinker" which is actually synonymous with Pro drinker.

I feel the no drinking before noon rule is for lightweights and rookies. If I want to have a cold beer at 10am, and I have nothing holding me back from doing it, then by golly, I'm going to have a cold beer at 10am.

Or maybe I'm just from Wisconsin.

What kind of beers do you guys usually drink if you have a beer while discing? I have admittedly become a beer snob although it seems we usually end up drinking Budweiser tall boys on the course since the gas station by the course doesn't have a stellar beer selection. Quick and easy, these are! Also it's more refreshing to drink something less heavy than the beers I have been drinking lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts