• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and beer....why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here in Michigan we have a returnable deposit on beer and pop cans , so there is always folks picking them up even out of trash cans. The bulk of the litter I see is water bottles and fountian cups , never understood how someone can carry there water bottle 3/4 the way around the course then just throw it on the ground. Can't they carry it another few hundred feet to the next hole where a trash can is available . Park officials are going to get tired of cleaning up after us and shut things down , after all there is not much profit in disc golf

Usually its good disc golfers picking up after the bad ones, not park workers. Also, if you don't think disc golf can make money, you haven't played at Kensington or Hudson Mills etc.

Usually its good disc golfers picking up after the bad ones, not park workers. Also, if you don't think disc golf can make money, you haven't played at Kensington or Hudson Mills etc.

Troof. $2 a day for a wristband ($50 a year if you're so inclined) plus $5 to park ($25 per year) and the courses are NEVER empty.

It goes to prove that people WILL shell out coin to play quality courses.

Troof. $2 a day for a wristband ($50 a year if you're so inclined) plus $5 to park ($25 per year) and the courses are NEVER empty.

I thought it was kind of crazy that I had to pay 2 bucks for a wristband for my girlfriend who just walked the park with me. But #YOLO

For all they know, the second you were out of sight, she could have started throwing discs too.

Should have told them that she was your caddy.

Should have told them that she was your caddy.

I did, I said we were only here for one round and she doesn't play, it's not a huge deal, I mean 4 dollars compared to 2 but I thought it was kind of funny. I guess there are scum bags out there who actually would lie about this stuff.

I thought it was kind of crazy that I had to pay 2 bucks for a wristband for my girlfriend who just walked the park with me. But #YOLO

It is a shame, but I don't see any way around the P2P at these parks, outside charging everyone. Else, one chucker pays and twelve play. I might risk the ranger stopping me, at which time you could explain, the wife/GF is not playing. The worst likely to happen would you might have to pony up the two bucks then. Sounds like you need to get that GF some discs :p

It is a shame, but I don't see any way around the P2P at these parks, outside charging everyone. Else, one chucker pays and twelve play. I might risk the ranger stopping me, at which time you could explain, the wife/GF is not playing. The worst likely to happen would you might have to pony up the two bucks then. Sounds like you need to get that GF some discs :p

She has came and thrown, but doesn't really like it. Last time she came out I gave her a roc and she threw it on a few holes, but just doesn't really like it. That being said she doesn't mind coming and walking the course with me, so there is that.

Lots more water and gatorade bottles, Monster and Rockstar cans, than beer cans on all the courses I play.

Likewise, I see mostly water bottles and other non-returnables littering the course.

here in Michigan we have a returnable deposit on beer and pop cans , so there is always folks picking them up even out of trash cans. The bulk of the litter I see is water bottles and fountian cups.

Works great for returnables, just not as good for non-returnables.

QFT! I know a lot of guys I play with who use strollers or buggies almost always attach an empty trash bag to their carts. They pick up litter and returnables all the time. :clap:

Exactly, Hudson Mills is always booming. Also helps that it is 100% legal to carry and drink alcohol at the park too. My understanding is that a few years ago some golfers got called out for it, until they inquired how the Softball gang was allowed to drink on the property? Park officials thought it over and then opted to include Disc Golf under the alcohol allowed umbrella. :thmbup:

I see water bottles and Gatorade bottles the most. Probably thrown to get a disc out of the tree. Beer cans come in a close third. I Doubt alcoholics would throw a beer to get a disc down. Which is worse?

I play Huntington central park alot and there is tons of empty beers (usually in the trash cans, i notice when throwing stuff away, i've even found empty 30 packs in them multiple times). Huntington central is known for tailgating and the bench before hole 5 was even featured in High Times Magazine.

To me, it's simply a matter of one's personal preference for choice of beverage. I happen to not like beer, but if drinking a beer makes the round more enjoyable for someone, why not?

My only concern is that beer drinkers keep it under control, rather than letting it control them. I've never known someone to act like an @$$ because they drank too much water or Gatorade. Chances are that those who get carried away on the course are likely to get carried away with it otherwise... in other words they have a problem controlling themselves when it comes to beer, whether that's on the course or not.

As for litter, I see as many empty water, energy, and sport drink bottles as I do beer bottles.
Litter is litter. If you carry it in, carry it out.

Last edited:
Ohio is a lot different than Oregon.

+1, as much as I wish people weren't such slobs out at Pier Park there is just as many local craft bottles and cans littering the tees as there are pbr/coors.

whenever i have beer with it makes me play like poop. I usually pound them really quick at the box. i get annoyed carrying them so i drink them fast! needless to say I'm only good for one round if we are drinking the second round will be a mess!

^^^That's PDX chuckers for ya---can't scrape together enough to pay rent, utilities, phone, gas or groceries, but by god there's always enough for another sixer of microbrew. :rolleyes:

This thread seems to have turned into a who litters the most rather than why drink n play disc golf. If there is enough trash receptacles in a park, the litter isn't as big of an issue. There will always be those that litter. But why beer and disc golf? Why not. Any accessive behavior will attract unwanted attention , so be discrete if you must drink or smoke and pick up after yourself no matter what. As far as trash cans full of empties, isn't that where they are supposed to go?

I will occassionally enjoy a good beer during a round. It's gotta be hot outside and i'm only good for one per round. I also place my empty bottles in proper receptacles.

This thread seems to have turned into a who litters the most rather than why drink n play disc golf. If there is enough trash receptacles in a park, the litter isn't as big of an issue.
I'd venture if not for the littering, drinking wouldn't be as big of an issue as we make it.

That being said, for the many times I've gone to the course to clean it up, I'm actually shocked and amazed that for all of the cans I've picked up off the ground, how few of them are soda cans. The soda drinkers seem to be able to find the trash receptacles that the beer drinkers can't, even when they're a little out of the way.

Beer drinkers care less about rules. Why would they care about keeping our parks clean, when they don't care that drinking beer at a public park is illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts