• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf and it's Professional Legitimacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact there are no spectators in disc golf is not an opinion. That's why it's called a fact. :)

How many spectators are there at your average rally race? NBA game 30 days from playoffs when the home team is done for? Average golf tournament?

Not many is the answer. The spectators will come when they know there is something to see, and the mass media is how they will be notified. The mass media does not work for free, however, they need commercial sponsors to be interested in the sport. In order for this to happen, they need to see the sport as legitimate, something they could get behind, they may even want to see a player they could grab as a rep. You think a drunk stoner would make that sale?

Not even close. So you see now that it's a circle, that clean and true competition is what we need. Drug free representatives at the top and a PDGA that supports them. We need to keep filming, keep promoting, and keep tightening the rules until we have something that people can clearly see as a sport that is fueled by training and talent.

How many spectators are there at your average rally race? NBA game 30 days from playoffs when the home team is done for? Average golf tournament?

Not many is the answer. The spectators will come when they know there is something to see, and the mass media is how they will be notified. The mass media does not work for free, however, they need commercial sponsors to be interested in the sport. In order for this to happen, they need to see the sport as legitimate, something they could get behind, they may even want to see a player they could grab as a rep. You think a drunk stoner would make that sale?

Not even close. So you see now that it's a circle, that clean and true competition is what we need. Drug free representatives at the top and a PDGA that supports them. We need to keep filming, keep promoting, and keep tightening the rules until we have something that people can clearly see as a sport that is fueled by training and talent.
Sorry but you will not be making 6 figures at disc golf. The sponsors want spectators and there are none. Not few, none.

NBA as a comparison? Funny.

the main reason most sports have spectators is because people play those sports or have at least attempted to play those sports...that's the appeal.

Aside from gladiator sports like MMA, boxing, and to an extent football viewership is typically fueled by the viewing public having played the sport...all of the pdga members of all time still cannot fill up an NFL stadium on Sunday

Sorry but you will not be making 6 figures at disc golf. The sponsors want spectators and there are none. Not few, none.

NBA as a comparison? Funny.

It's not my dream to BECOME that guy, it's my dream to make that a possibility, a goal for another future disc golfer. And it will happen, whether defeatists like yourselves envision it or not. Proactive and motivated people who believe in achievement and continue towards goals in times of feast or famine will make it happen.

Remember Steady Ed? Of course you don't.

"DG is not a spectator sport..." "DG is boring to watch..." "Nobody want's to watch DG on TV..."

Opinions, to which you can statistically argue that there are an equal number of opposing opinions of varying degrees from your own. Golf is boring to watch and the object ball is impossible to see, does not stop them from successfully televising it and from sponsors getting on board. Bowling anyone? People watch what they are told to watch by the media, and if the media thinks they can market DG they certainly will.
With sports like football, basketball and extreme sports even those that don't play find them fun to watch. With games like disc golf, golf and bowling, it's pretty much only those that play the game that do watch. Even then it's only a fraction of the participants that watch. Considering that there are likely orders of magnitude more people who bowl or golf than there are that disc golf, the viewer base is much larger. People don't watch because they don't play, they don't play for many reasons, one of the biggest being, they don't know the sport exists. It's hard to get the word out to non players when they aren't interesting in watching the sport.

"There is no money in DG..." "There is no money in selling plastics..."

False. Everyone in DG wears at least 2 shoes. Everyone in DG wears pants and a shirt. Everyone in DG has a bag for discs. Everyone in DG has discs. Every course has maintenance vehicles. Every course has X baskets. Every spectator can be manipulated into taking stock in any of the brands associated with the above. It's simple marketing and an individuals personal opinion on the marketability (or lack there of) of DG is simply a drop in the bucket. The fact is that if NBC, ABC, and CBS decided they wanted to market a knitting show, they certainly could. Disc Golf is way more exciting to watch and the shots taken by players and fast, accurate, and the object moves in the air like a remote control. It's like no other sport.
Disc golf is one of the cheapest games to play. There isn't really any doubt about that. Most courses are free, you really only need a couple of discs, and even if you do carry a larger bag, a bag of discs costs about as much as a single golf club. Most people already have the attire needed. You don't need special pants or shirts. Pretty much any pair of athletic shoes works. There's no need for protective gear. Yes, it's true people spend money on disc golf, but it's very low compared to many other sports. I spent more for my 3 year old to play 10 weeks of soccer this spring than I have on disc golf since she was born.

Look at it this way, how many jobs are there out there that are supported solely by disc golf? A few hundred at best. That's a single, medium sized company worth of revenue.

You can't just take each of these arguments and argue why they aren't the single reason disc golf isn't more popular. The reason is because of several of those arguments combined. Nobody wants to watch disc golf and there isn't money in it because not very many people play. The real question is, why aren't people playing. I have a very hard time believing it's because they believe that the pro's smoke weed. As other's have pointed out, that's common in other, very popular sports as well. It's much more believable that they don't even know that the pro's exist.

It's a chicken and the egg scenario right now. There's no money and viewership because there aren't many players. There aren't many players because there's no exposure. With no exposure there's a limited pool of new players. The grassroots nature of the game has done a very good job of expanding and utilizing that limited pool, but it takes time, especially when there isn't a ton of money right away and most consider it boring to watch.

Best way to get spectators at disc golf events would be to promise them drugs and beer.

Not everyone in the sport, or at the top of the sport, is a drunk stoner. You would probably be surprised to find out that most aren't. But you seem to know it all, so I won't bother trying to educate you.

...I have never had a person tell me that they know what it is, but refuse to play/support/spectate because people that play smoke pot...

I'm usually laughed at (in a fun way), and then that is followed by the phrase "that's such a pot head game". But that's also followed by a curiosity to play with me sometime, in a non-pothead way.

Even if it's not 100%, it's still a very large stigma for this game. So DG can either fully embrace it, and go for sponsors that love the herb, or have a firm stance that isn't just for show, and attract a broader family base. Being lukewarm isn't something you want to do.

Snedeker says PGA Tour should eliminate drug testing

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/10/snedeker-says-pga-tour-should-eliminate-drug-testing.html

6a00d8341caaef53ef019affc17a83970c-pi

I'm usually laughed at (in a fun way), and then that is followed by the phrase "that's such a pot head game". But that's also followed by a curiosity to play with me sometime, in a non-pothead way.

Even if it's not 100%, it's still a very large stigma for this game. So DG can either fully embrace it, and go for sponsors that love the herb, or have a firm stance that isn't just for show, and attract a broader family base. Being lukewarm isn't something you want to do.

I agree that it has the stigma, but that stigma can only be applied by those that have actually heard of the game. The OP's argument is that the drug use is the reason no one is familiar with DG.

Colorado sold 19 million worth of pot in March. Thats a lot bigger than the PDGA will ever be. Anyone who thinks pot is holding something back is living in the past.

last years worlds coverage online was basically in the hundreds of viewers all week.

The internet makes all kinds of weird underground things seem more accepted and viable than they really are

It is ok though the sport was growing before the internet and continues to grow in spite of all the problems we have....it's just that good of a past time

It's not my dream to BECOME that guy, it's my dream to make that a possibility, a goal for another future disc golfer. And it will happen, whether defeatists like yourselves envision it or not. Proactive and motivated people who believe in achievement and continue towards goals in times of feast or famine will make it happen.
I don't think most think you're wrong for wanting that, it's just that you're attacking it from the wrong angle. Let's say you asked 1000 random people who Paul McBeth, Dave Feldberg, Avery Jenkins or Ken Climo was. Then, without seeing the results, you were given the opportunity to instantly make everyone who gave the same answer see disc golf as a legitimate sport, which answer would you pick, "That drunk stoner that plays disc golf," or "I don't know?"

Right now the best way to be proactive and motivated is in your local community. Find ways to expose more new people to disc golf. You'll be much more successful than you will if you decide to put your energy to trying to prevent disc golfers from smoking.

Bowling anyone?

The PBA was paying people and maybe still is to watch/be spectators at their televised events. Plus Bowling Leagues are all about being drunk and gambling while playing, no problems there. Disc Golf should probably be more about getting good sanctioned league play, like the PBA, than tournaments. That's where the sport could grow.

People just need to accept that Disc Golf is a Recreational Sport, not a Competitive Sport. Much like Racquetball, Horseshoes, etc. Amazing to participate in, not great to watch or for athletic competition.

Last edited:
Not everyone in the sport, or at the top of the sport, is a drunk stoner. You would probably be surprised to find out that most aren't. But you seem to know it all, so I won't bother trying to educate you.

I did not say ALL were drunk stoners, you just did.

All I said is the PDGA should tolerate NO drunk stoners.

And your ad hominem argument about me knowing it all is way off base, but still speaks volumes.

The fact the everyone wants to "grow the sport" is hilarious. I mean if your Jeremy Rusco sure. But why would the average disc golfer want that? A lot of people play because its free/cheap and hassle free. If i have to wait on every tee box i might just find a new hobby.

And your ad hominem argument about me knowing it all is way off base, but still speaks volumes.

Where did I say that?

You're not implying that we don't have drug free reps, and a supportive PDGA, with this statement?

Not even close. So you see now that it's a circle, that clean and true competition is what we need. Drug free representatives at the top and a PDGA that supports them.

The PDGA doesn't tolerate drunk stoners. Your argument is weak sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.