• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf as exercise

Yea I weigh close to 300lbs and I play at least 5 times a week in Austin, TX heat. I am also going to the gym 3-4 times a week now and am not having great results. I played football in high school and stayed active in college but now I just can't seem to drop this weight. But hey, at least I get to play disc golf 5 times a week right..:thmbup:

Exercise is only one half of the equation. Doesn't matter what you do if you're eating more calories than you're burning.

Also, the more muscle mass one has, the more calories they burn, both actively and at rest.

Keep at it dude and you can drop the weight! :thmbup:

I think the temperature really changes things too. Playing 18 holes in 80 degree weather is a lot different than playing 18 in 110, which we do all summer here.

Agreed, I typically play in Southern California and don't sweat much during a round or 2. However, when I visit my parents in NC during the summer I have to bring a change of clothes after 1 round. I get soaked with that heat and humidity that we just don't have near the ocean.

It really depends on how you define "exercise." If by exercise you mean an activitiy that burns calories faster than sitting, then it counts. If you mean an activity that raises your fitness level then it only counts if you're really out of shape. It won't help you gain much, if any, useable strength and it's only aerobic if you're way out of shape.

Based on what I've seen from several websites that show how many calories you burn doing various activities, it seems like you will burn about the same number of calories by either playing disc golf for 2 hours or doing the elliptical for 30 minutes and then sitting for an hour and a half.

I'm not saying that getting out to play DG or go out walking is a bad idea. It's a great way to burn extra calories. However, if you're really serious about getting in better shape I'd be weary to consider it an actual workout. It's one of those things you do in addition to actual work outs that would take the place of times you'd normally be sitting around. I don't doubt that it's helped people who were out of shape lose weight (just fixing your diet and moving more will get you a calorie deficit). However, based on what I've seen from the people I know that have tried to rely on walking as their main source of exercise, you'll probably plateau earlier than you'd really want.

"Sprint golf" on the other hand, sounds like a really great way to combine exercise that will help you gain fitness (and probably drop your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol) and an activity that's not as mind-numbingly boring as most cardio.

I agree 100% . DG is a good alternative to sitting around, or bowling, darts or other minimal activity sports/games. Unless you're in pretty bad shape, it may be a good supplement to, but certainly isn't a subitute for, real excercise.

As to how much it helps, well not all courses are created equal, are they?

Speed rounds sound pretty interesting, but would require a fairly empty course, perhaps early in the morning.

I got addicted to disc golf about a year ago and usually play around 300 holes every weekend. When I first started my whole body was sore and I'm in pretty good shape. It works different muslces than other activities and in different ways. Today I can play 300+ holes on a weekend no problem as my muscles have grown stonger. I also do push-ups regularly and since starting disc golf my left arm is dead after a good set of push-ups but my right arm could go all day.

I guess discing isn't as good a workout as hitting the gym 3-days a week and lifting weights but it definitly qualifies as a very good way to exercise in my book.

300 holes every weekend? Highly unlikely

300 holes every weekend? Highly unlikely

It's not every weekend, but Ashleigh and I fairly frequently play 54-72 holes on a Friday afternoon, then 100+ holes both Saturday and Sunday. It's entirely possible.

Play multiple rounds at Waterworks in Kansas City and tell me disc golf isnt a workout. I run regularly and have been losing 2-3lbs just about on a weekly basis since playing there everyday. Nothing but super steep hills. Its awesome.

Speed rounds sound pretty interesting, but would require a fairly empty course, perhaps early in the morning.
The funny thing is the one time I saw people doing it was at a time when the course was kind of busy. It was one of the rare times I ended up combining with another group (I'm usually out there by myself) becasue of how busy it was. There were like 7-8 high school aged guys who were just throwing one after another (one would throw and start sprinting and the next would throw immediately after them) and sprinting to their lies. They were super polite when they caught up to us and we just let them play through. By the time the first one of us was ready to throw they were almost done with the hole so they really didn't slow us down at all. I still wonder how many of them got beaned in the back of the head by the next thrower.

Exercise is only one half of the equation. Doesn't matter what you do if you're eating more calories than you're burning.

Also, the more muscle mass one has, the more calories they burn, both actively and at rest.

Keep at it dude and you can drop the weight! :thmbup:[/QUOTE

Thanks, I'm definitely keeping at it. The next step is to not drink more calories than I eat :) Beer is the devil but ohh so yummy

If this fitness diary website is accurate, then a 230 lb man playing frisbee and hiking hills with a < 10 lb load for 2 hours would burn 2107 calories.

I love how the site lists mowing the lawn on a riding lawn mower as a form of exercise, but disc golf is nowhere to be seen. Classic. We're obviously getting the respect we deserve...finally!

:doh:

Latest posts