• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf BackPack: Grip Alternative

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
I've been getting a little jealous of all the :cool: kids with Disc Golf BackPacks, but I didn't want to shell out $200 for a Grip Bag, so I went shopping! Having played rounds w/those carrying backpacks, I've seen some of the shortfalls of the grip bag. So far this bag is everything I could hope for. For me I like that the discs are at the top of the bag vs. the Grip bag where they are at the bottom.

Also, I read some of the other "homemade disc golf bag" threads and so far I have not been impressed b/c mostly I don't see myself involved in a PVC project. However, to achieve a true DG Utopian Experience, I might have to do a little engineering. But, when you are this close, it gets easy.

Let me start by saying, I am in no way related to this company nor endorse this product. BUT I'm willing to give it a shot and for $45 bucks vs $200 for a Grip, I can live with it.

First, it's made by Okuma and it's a Fishing Tackle Backpack.

Picture019.jpg

To give you size perspective, here it is next to my Fade Tourney Bag.

Picture029.jpg

All I did was fold down the flap and my discs fit perfectly, no frames, anything. I've got 14 discs in there, but I fit almost 20. Also, There's a zipper divider beneath the discs. Also, I plan to take it to the mall and get my name and PDGA # engraved on it.

Since it's a tackle box, you get 4 free plastic tackle boxes with it. I left them in there to support the discs....however, my utopia involves a cooler pack of sorts to hide beneath my discs. Which an average size lunch cooler fits perfectly.

Picture027.jpg

Last edited:
Says, it's waterproof, but I have my doubts, regardless...I see this happening when it rains. Plus the pockets are off the ground...ruined my flip camera w/ those dumb pockets on the Fade bag sitting on the ground.

Picture068.jpg

And did I mention the back of the bag is padded and the padded straps feel awesome? I paid $30 bucks for those crappy Innova straps. Notice the rings to attach a chest strap if needed?

Picture057.jpg

So yeah, super stoked about my bag. There's just the right amount of gap to slide your discs in and out easily from the top compartment.

Picture079.jpg

Happy Discing all! Let me know if any of you try it out!!!

Yep...it's got the tackle boxes in the bottom right now to support it, but I think with a good frame, I could use it to house my cooler. So, yeah, it's a perfect size in every way.

If you had Plasti-Dipped the bottom of your fade bag, you wouldn't have had any water issues in the pockets. I have played in pouring rain and set my bag in puddles, and the Plasti-Dip job that I did on the bottom of mine has kept it nice and dry. As to the OP, sweet bag! :)

It looks top heavy with the discs on top. Do you have to set in on flat ground to keep it from falling over? If you are against pvc what do you plan on making the frame from?

I've been getting a little jealous of all the :cool: kids with Disc Golf BackPacks, but I didn't want to shell out $200 for a Grip Bag, so I went shopping! Having played rounds w/those carrying backpacks, I've seen some of the shortfalls of the grip bag. So far this bag is everything I could hope for. For me I like that the discs are at the top of the bag vs. the Grip bag where they are at the bottom.
What are the shortfalls of the grip bag that you refer to? How does this bag address those shortfalls and improve upon them?

Nice alternative, but it does look to have those "shortfalls" that keep it from being perfect (for me at least). Top heavy and no place for a water bottle.

But $45 vs. $200 is a very convincing argument.

Nice find and thanks for the heads up!

it looks like with some slight mods you could put the cooler on top and discs on bottom.. and who needs a drink holder when you got a cooler??? :D

If a cooler were an 'essential' part of a disc bag, I believe Hyzer Bomb is the only disc company to make a bag w/built in cooler (not including DIY bags)

This bag looks cool, and I actually spent quite a few hours in sports/hunting/fishing stores checking out backpack bags (hunting/fishing) that I felt would've made good disc bags...but I got a grip

So, you guys are worse than women picking out a handbag!!!! ;)

I finally got to play a round with it this eve and I tried to be conscious of all the comments made on here. (Yes I do read my own threads occasionally!)

I set out on this venture to find a more convenient, durable, and economical alternative to what has been made available to us. In all honesty, I am not crazy about the Fade Tourney Type Bag which is what I've always used.

I'm sorry, but this kind of thing is lame. And not only lame but it costs $59.95. And look at the shoulderstrap that comes w/it. You know you will want Gel Straps, so add $30.00 bucks, now we're up to a $90 investment.

fadeblueberry.jpg

Not only do the colors remind me of something Carrot Top would wear, but it's not practical. How many of you hang a towel on this bag that's sitting on the ground? All you do is collect leaves and debris while you drag it along. That was one reason I wanted a backpack cuz my shiz would be a little more off the ground.

Also, I exerted a lot of energy constantly bending over to pick a disc out of the bag, to get my towel, to move the bag. And yes, you can put your bag on a stool, but I just don't like putting that dirty bag on a stool I will need to sit on.

That was one thing I noticed a lot w/people using a GRIP bag, b/c the discs were at the bottom, either they had to bend over to the ground to get something out or sit it on their stool so the discs you want to get are more at waist level. Then you sit the bag on the ground where people spit and blow snot rockets, then sit it back on your stool. It just started bothering me. Not only that, usually my straps were hanging around in the dirt when I set it down. Just tired of the grime.

Someone mentioned they were worried abt it being top heavy, so did I. I kept imagining it would fall over. It didn't tonight, not once. I don't know if you can tell from this pic, but the bottom is actually a wider base than the top. It has a good center of gravity that keeps it upright.

Picture059.jpg

The bottom of it is also good, a complete rectangle of sturdy material that helps add stability.

I did fit two drinks in the side pocket, no problems. A 20 oz Dt MT Dew and 20 oz Water. It's the pocket on the side of the bag you can see above to the left of the cooler.

Also, I didn't like that I needed a garbage bag looking thing to cover up my bag with in the rain. I wanted something waterproof and this bag is claims to be, the verdict is still out.

So, my plan is to find a sterilite type container that will fit the space where I house the cooler. There is a divider above that area that separates discs. The Grip bag kind of forces you to cram your jacket into a side pocket. I will be able to neatly store extra clothes or whatever if needed in a tourney in that space. I will post pics if I make that mod. Sounds easy to me tho.

After one round with the bag....I'm very happy with it. It stayed up right, things stayed neat and mostly clean, and Elaine King kept commenting on how cool it was. I like the sporty look, not the clowny stuff Fade is putting out and while the Grip is nice, let me remind you, I spent $45!

Latest posts