• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Basket Question

I'm looking at getting a Discatcher Sport from craigslist. It looks like the chains are rusty so I am planning on replacing the chains. How hard is it to add an inner set of chains and replace the outside chains? Looking to leave the S hooks open enough so that I am able to make 3 baskets in one: both sets of chains, outside only set of chains, inside only set of chains. Also any clue how much 2 set of chains and the S hooks will cost me?

Pretty easy to do if you have tools. Chain is about $1 a foot so how much you want to spend is up to you. The hardware store can cut them to size on small orders. Just know how long you need them before you go.

FYI - Discatcher Sport has 18 strands of chain in a single row (I have one), like it a lot.

Chain length is 25.5" each. I agree, pricing is usually $0.75 - $1 /ft for the chain (highly recommend bringing one of the rusty ones, DO NOT get chain that is too light (only slightly cheaper), it will catch like garbage)

So napkin math, based on 80 cents/foot if you skimp to 2' each (maybe 1 link less)(I'm a basket geek and changing a link or two really changes the shape of the chain, anyway...) that's $28.80 + tax for a single row of chain, and $57.60 + tax for double set of chains.

If you are looking for a good deal, I don't think that you're looking to buy $60 worth of chain, maybe i'm wrong. Here's what i'd do -

Single Row Outer Chain - Catches well, does what it's designed for. Maybe some cut throughs, but honestly, you're looking for a practice basket to throw at, and maybe bring out to add to Ace Races, Etc. Use 1 row of chains... If you add inner chain, maybe add 6 inner ones, every third spoke...

You want inner chains only (bulls eye basket) for hard core practice putting. I like it! Tip - the basket has 18 spokes that come out from the center, and there's a circle thing on top. If you keep the S-hooks open, instead of taking the chain off the S-hook, take the S-hook off the basket, and move the S-hook and dangling chain and hook it on the middle of the spoke, and they'll slide in to the metal circle thing, maybe 10" total width. You could also add a zip tie to each spoke and widen out the top a bit, with the zip tie keeping the chains from sliding all the way in.

Post a Picture of what you come up with!!

I'm looking at getting a Discatcher Sport from craigslist. It looks like the chains are rusty so I am planning on replacing the chains. How hard is it to add an inner set of chains and replace the outside chains? Looking to leave the S hooks open enough so that I am able to make 3 baskets in one: both sets of chains, outside only set of chains, inside only set of chains.

This guy showed me a pretty cool, easy way to add an inner set of chains to my DCS. Good luck!

What is wrong with having rusty chains? I'm just wondering if there was a reason other than aesthetic for the change. Honest question, don't flame me!

^^^Well, if rusty their action is a bit restrained, and they tend to chew up discs a bit more.

What is wrong with having rusty chains? I'm just wondering if there was a reason other than aesthetic for the change. Honest question, don't flame me!

my thoughts also, unless they are really bad, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts