• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Camp?

Cadmanic

Par Member
You've all seen the various sports instructional camps... Well, I'm inheriting a chunk of land that would be an awesome DGC. Being a man of little means, but big dreams, I got to thinking about a DG camp. Staff the camp with expert coaches, barracks-style and private lodgings, a full pro-shop, and provide a well-maintained championship calliber course. I have to admit the whole "model" is stolen from my many visits to The Wakeboard Camp in Clermont, FL.

Do you think there is enough of a market? Am I a few years too early, or has (is) it already been (being) done?

Sounds like a neat idea, and maybe it's just my lack of creativity, but to be honest, I don't see a way to make it an economically sustainable model. How will you attract these expert coaches? For how long? How much revenue might you need to generate to break even? The figure how you think people might be willing to pay for this? How many people need to come a year to make this float?

Might be more feasible if this place offered far more than DG, so people could make it a family vacation type of deal, but that might be beyond the scope of what you planned.

Attracting coaches: Free room and board, a championship caliber course, factory team tie-ins (I can see it now... welcome to the Discraft Disc Golf Camp!), good vibes, flexible scheduling and meager paychecks. Duration would be up to the individual, and would work around their tournament schedules. Pros and factory reps would be welcomed and encouraged to stop in for demos, one-day seminars, and just casual rounds. Coaches could be payed by the hour, per client, salary, or "rented" through the camp (like a beautician would rent a chair at a salon; portion goes to the house). I've seen it work first hand at the previously mentioned Wakeboard camp (TWC)... Many "fringe" sport atheletes are happy enough to be able to "get by" doing what they love for little monetary gain. The coaches down there don't make a lot of money from coaching... and these are some of the best riders and coaches in the world... but they get to live their lifestyle, keep a roof over their head and food in their belly, and get to meet people from all over the world with the same interest as them every day. With the proper setup, I honestly don't think it'd be a problem keeping top-notch players/coaches rotating in and out of the camp. An added bonus is that the land is in west-central IL, between the QC and Peoria, which I would think would be a nice centralized hub for a touring pro to base out of.

Revenue: Revenue would come from several sources, and expense costs would vary determined by occupancy and coaching needs. Income would come from hourly instruction rates, bed and breakfast style over-night and extended stay rates, pro shop sales (with heavy online presence), local and national advertising income (signage and sponsorship), disc factory sponsorship, camp ground slot rentals for the RV'er, pay-to-play open sessions for locals/visitors, club and clinic/tournament fees, and onsite amenities (plenty of room for a go-cart track, paintball fields, coin-op video arcade, etc.).

Fees: Fees would be scaled to customer need... Single round, day passes, instructed rounds, over-night lodging, camper hookups, etc., would all have fees associated. I never batted an eye dropping more than $100 a day at TWC; where food, lodging, and 2 riding (coached and videod) lessons a day were provided (and this was back in the 90's... I'm sure their rates have gone up since). Instruction didn't end on the water though; you had the pros in the house with you, talking shop, cooking dinner, and BSing - just generally being the host while you relaxed and did as much or as little as you wanted with your time between water sessions. Other pros would commonly stop by TWC just to hang out, or for photoshoots or product testing, or to catch a pull behind one of their boats. Many would stick around all day, offering extra advice and encouragement to campers, some even heading out on the town with the campers for golden sodas and/or dinner... It was (is still, I hope, though I gave up boarding years ago) a great atmosphere and an exceptional learning experience.

Occupancy: I'm thinking two lodges and one commercial building; a barracks capable of handling 16 campers comfortably (up to 4 campers per room), with common room and dining area, and another building with 4 suites for a B&B style private stay. The commercial building would be a pro-shop/convienience store with private lodging upstairs for up to 4 coaches. 20 RV slips would probably be sufficient.

I know... a lot of pipe-dream hair-brain half-wit ideas, and probably not the safest investment model to jump on (nor will it likely happen, at least by me), but if it were built, would you come?

It's a tough sell on it's own. If you are trying to get kids as the market it's gonna be tough to beat the boy scouts, and that market is seasonal. If adults are your market it's gonna be slim pickings as disc golfers are cheap and women are the rake.

Target demographic for instructional camping would be 21 and up, with special dates/times of year set aside for younger campers... And you hit the nail on the head with the bolded statement.

The IDGC has three courses, a pro shop, and a campground. I'm sure if you were willing to pay for travel expenses, you could find a pro willing to go there with you to give you lessons.

As someone who went to skate camp in northern Wisconsin a good dining hall and maybe a snack shack/grill like blue ribbon pines would be a must (liquor license too). Like the previous post said your demographic would have to be older.

If you followed a summer session model a fun idea would be at the end of each instructional week you have a tournament and at the end of the summer all winners of each tournament would be invited back for the last week to participate in the final tourney. That model was followed at the skate camp I attended and was a lot of fun.

If you were leaning more towards the weekend away and rv/campers niche I think the instructional rates would be fair and to have course pros there everyday to either do seminars or to play a round with you. What would peak my interest would be a championship style course and a fun nine hole with tricky/strange basket placements. I know i would only consider this type of idea if it had multiple courses to play.

The skate camp I attended offered lodging year round to church groups, cross country running/skiing teams, and the Boy Scouts. Not sure if those groups would be easy to target in your area but would be good to look into.

All in all I think you have some good ideas for revenue and activities. I know one of my favorite trips to take each summer is to Mont Dulac in northern Minnesota and camp for a weekend playing both courses multiple times.

Last edited:
I am planning on running a disc golf camp next summer. It is only going to be 1 week long (possibly 2 separate 1 week sessions), aimed at kids 12-17. It will be part of the tripping program at a summer camp that is mostly residential, typical camp activities (archery, fishing, sailing, arts and crafts, etc). A week long disc golf program might look like:

Sunday - Campers arrive, intro to basics some field work
Monday am - Play through the course on site and work 1 on 1 feedback followed by a workshop focusing on skills
Monday pm - Pro clinic (hire a local or travelling pro for the afternoon) followed by another round on site
Tues-Thurs - Road trip! Visit some of the best courses in the country led by the guy that knows how to do it best
Friday - Put it all together some how, share with the rest of camp and some kind of competition at the course on site

I haven't put all the pieces together yet, but I already have the go ahead to do something like this and will submit my proposal next month.

The only question I have after reading this is : You describe yourself as a man of little means, how will you afford the build up of a championship calibre course and all the infrastructure?

And yes, I think it's a great idea, I would definitly visit ^^

ps : get a good course designer ^^

If you get serious about this, go to IowaDG.com and camdentwo.com and get connected with the Camden volunteer work crew. They have been working very hard for several years on constantly improving the Camden II championship level course in Milan, and you could learn a lot from them. Also you will see the standard that's been set -- if you want to regularly draw return visits from people from the QC, you might need to have a course that is on the level of Camden II and West Lake.

Personally, I would just build the championship level course and go from there. You may find that greens fees on a private course may be what you're looking for. Maybe build the bunkhouse type lodging and offer it for travelers or tourney participants.

The camp thing sounds great in theory, but the logistics of it might be tough to pull off in a place that probably wouldn't be year round (judging by your location).

Use portable baskets and tees and charge wannabe designers $100 a hole for letting them lay out a course. There's your largest source of revenue.

Apdrvya did something where he showed Campers how to disc golf. But yeah like Bogey said earlier I don't think a bunch of kids would want to come... thats just me.

Personally, I would just build the championship level course and go from there. You may find that greens fees on a private course may be what you're looking for. Maybe build the bunkhouse type lodging and offer it for travelers or tourney participants.

The camp thing sounds great in theory, but the logistics of it might be tough to pull off in a place that probably wouldn't be year round (judging by your location).

Yeah, avoid payroll if at all possible. You would have to be sure you're going to have a lot of campers, to commit to the kind of payroll a camp staff would entail.

Few private courses make a profit, let alone a living for their owner, but you'll have a head start with the property paid for. Camping/lodging/pro shop cost money to construct, but you can run them without staff and perhaps earn your investment back as a sort of disc golf resort.

I'd put the disc golf camp into the "maybe one day" fantasy file.