• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Country Club

tstockt

I was throwing around ideas with some of my friends the other day, how many people would have any interest in a private club, semi high end, something like 50 dollars a month membership. Snack bar, club tourneys, etc. loosely based on a ball golf country club, but without all the WASP a-holes. Situated within about 30 miles from a major metro area. Maybe this type of place already exists but I am unaware of such a thing. I mainly want to see if this is idea appealing to anyone but me and my buddies. Thanks for any input yall can provide. Happy throwing.

I would do it for sure to keep the course in good shape. However it would need to have multiple tees and multiple basket locations so that it was never set up the same. That would get old fast.

Not sure what the price point would be, but it better be a nice piece of property. I have a feeling if a piece of property exists like this it would be better suited to something other than disc golf, but if it was on a disc golfers property I would glady pay to use their property, but then again you are dealing with zoning issues too then.

Yeah we were thinking about the land. Maybe somewhere with rugged enough spots that the owner can't/won't run cows (we are in TX). But it would definitely have to have multiple tees and pin locations, maybe 36 holes. It would stay really clean and in great shape. Thanks for your excellent input my friend.

http://www.circularproductions.com/circle_r_ranch.html

They're down in Austin area/Hill country. Kind of like a membership place but more of a pay-to-play course. I think a country club would be cool in the area but with as many courses there are in the DFW metroplex, it would really have to bring something to the table.

Maybe two sets of 18s, the first with some water and scenic views and the other with some real par 4/5 holes. I know that a lot of the courses around the metroplex don't really offer the huge distance holes.

Just my $0.02

We were thinking about something longer than Harry Myers in Rockwall for the first 18, rolling hills and water, and then another 18 with lots of technical shots and deep woods. Also thinking about a driving range, putting green, grill/ snack bar. Possibly even cart girls selling drinks and food.

We were thinking about something longer than Harry Myers in Rockwall for the first 18, rolling hills and water, and then another 18 with lots of technical shots and deep woods. Also thinking about a driving range, putting green, grill/ snack bar. Possibly even cart girls selling drinks and food.

Cart girls would be over doing it IMO. Maybe like a ball golf course have holes 1 & 10 positioned pretty close to the clubhouse or have a snack/drink bar set up at hole 10 and the clubhouse at hole 1.

Driving range would be expensive to start up but could be pretty sweet. "I would like 10 wraiths and 10 beasts please" I think that could make it kind of difficult. Unlike ball golf there are a lot more variables with the disc than a range ball. The only way I could see a "driving range" working is a big field and let them use their own discs. Maybe have some sample discs to throw that they can rent to throw around for a little bit and see if they like it before they buy it.

The putting green would be really cool. Just a bunch of baskets in a "putting only" area with various elevation changes and maybe an option to "rent the basket" for an extra couple bucks you could get the basket exclusively for 30 mins or something to work on putting.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I think the biggest issue would probably be upkeep of course and facilities. Mainly the course. I wouldn't mind a $5-$10 a round course or $10-$20 day pass to play both courses as much as you want. I really wouldn't worry about the facilities starting off.

At any rate... Putting way more thought into this than I would have guessed. I'm leaving now...

Don't forget about the IDGC there near Appling.

There are lots of these types of things that pop up and they do very well. At the same time part of me feels that the beauty of Disc Golf is that after getting discs you can do it for free. So, besides amazing courses, what else are you going to offer for the membership price? I have a few ideas that I am working on at this point. I'll let you all know when I get them up and running.

Don't forget about the IDGC there near Appling.

There are lots of these types of things that pop up and they do very well. At the same time part of me feels that the beauty of Disc Golf is that after getting discs you can do it for free. So, besides amazing courses, what else are you going to offer for the membership price? I have a few ideas that I am working on at this point. I'll let you all know when I get them up and running.

Membership fees would include, priority tee times, unlimited play, help pay for course upkeep and landscaping etc. yeah let me know how your ideas turn out, I am pretty sure that with the popularity of the sport growing like it is, a country club type facility would be very appealing to many folks. Best of luck to you.

Cart girls would be over doing it IMO. Maybe like a ball golf course have holes 1 & 10 positioned pretty close to the clubhouse or have a snack/drink bar set up at hole 10 and the clubhouse at hole 1.

Driving range would be expensive to start up but could be pretty sweet. "I would like 10 wraiths and 10 beasts please" I think that could make it kind of difficult. Unlike ball golf there are a lot more variables with the disc than a range ball. The only way I could see a "driving range" working is a big field and let them use their own discs. Maybe have some sample discs to throw that they can rent to throw around for a little bit and see if they like it before they buy it.

The putting green would be really cool. Just a bunch of baskets in a "putting only" area with various elevation changes and maybe an option to "rent the basket" for an extra couple bucks you could get the basket exclusively for 30 mins or something to work on putting.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I think the biggest issue would probably be upkeep of course and facilities. Mainly the course. I wouldn't mind a $5-$10 a round course or $10-$20 day pass to play both courses as much as you want. I really wouldn't worry about the facilities starting off.

At any rate... Putting way more thought into this than I would have guessed. I'm leaving now...

Exactly what we were thinking with the putting greens and driving range/ open area. We threw around the idea of 50-60 dollars a month dues for as many rounds as you want to play a month. Making it semi private would definitely allow us to keep the disrespectful litter bugs away and have a great place for people who love the game to socialize and have a place to call their own. I will keep you informed. Take care my friend.

Exactly what we were thinking with the putting greens and driving range/ open area. We threw around the idea of 50-60 dollars a month dues for as many rounds as you want to play a month. Making it semi private would definitely allow us to keep the disrespectful litter bugs away and have a great place for people who love the game to socialize and have a place to call their own. I will keep you informed. Take care my friend.

You could probably eliminate a lot of the "Disrespectful little bugs" by have trash cans on every hole. I don't litter but hanging on to empty bottles is kind of cumbersome.

You could probably eliminate a lot of the "Disrespectful little bugs" by have trash cans on every hole. I don't litter but hanging on to empty bottles is kind of cumbersome.

True but a lot of times even with tons of trash cans, people just don't care. I have even seen where people have knocked over entire trash cans. I think that if people really felt like they were a part of the place, everyone would want to make sure it stayed in tip top. I think the whole socializing aspect will bring a lot of likeminded people together and eventually some great tournaments and events could take place.

It would have to have a room for a poker table and ping pong table for afterhours until we could get some solar lights put up for night golf.

for $50-60/mo it would need an indoor/outdoor pool and hottub with towel service, locker room, caddy, brothel, poker room, bar/restaurant/club/dj, rock climbing, basketball courts, loss prevention for discs, putt putt course, arcade, driving range, test drives of discs, open 24/7, and personal trainers.

It will never work. Disc golfers are a poor lot. If they weren't they would be playing ball golf. Half of them spend what little money they have buying pot and/or beer and/or discs.

It will never work. Disc golfers are a poor lot. If they weren't they would be playing ball golf. Half of them spend what little money they have buying pot and/or beer and/or discs.

I agree. One of the things I love about disc golf is the low cost. I see myself playing a whole lot less ball golf this summer because of the fact that DG is free for the most part aside from the few courses I might pay $2-$3 to play at a particular course.

I can see this working after we start seeing ESPN Disc Golf coverage. In the meantime I would hate to create any barriers that would prevent people from taking up the sport.

Latest posts