• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Country Club

I think this would work and I think there is a need. Who wouldn't pay a measly $50 a month for unlimited play at an amazing facility? I'd sign up in a heartbeat...make it happen! Also, as long as prices were competitive, I'd probably buy my discs/bags there as well. Please keep me posted on what happens with this.

Also, I understand the appeal of free disc golf compared to $40 or more for a real golf green fee, but disc golfers are not poor as a whole. The majority of people I meet on the course have it together and can afford something like this. AND, from what tstockt says, you can play for $10 or so if you don't want to commit to a membership. I'm sure they would offer coupons and discounts to promote play. This idea needs support, let's get behind these guys and help them see this through.

I think it's more of a dream for these guys (I could be wrong, but that was the impression I was under) rather than a plan they are going to take to action.

Last edited:
zud00...why would you say that? These guys seem serious enough to have answers for most of the posts. Typical though, always someone there wanting to shoot down good ideas. TstockT...I hope you guys use posts like these as motivation. There are 6 million people in the D/FW metroplex, probably more than in the whole state of Indiana, we have a need for this. C'mon Dallas, show some support.

I don't think you could design and maintain a course anywhere close to the quality of the current Rockwall course. You would have to bring in Houck Design and that isn't cheep.

It is a nice dream/idea though. I've used this same discussion to pass the time wile on disc golf road trips.

I think this would work and I think there is a need. Who wouldn't pay a measly $50 a month for unlimited play at an amazing facility? I'd sign up in a heartbeat...make it happen! Also, as long as prices were competitive, I'd probably buy my discs/bags there as well. Please keep me posted on what happens with this.

Do the numbers. Ask a private course owner how much they'd have to collect to cover all the expenses, including land purchase and building construction. Then add the cost of staff. Think of how many $50s it would take to pay for this. Then imagine going to a bank to arrange financing.

What does land cost in DFW? Will 50 acres suffice?

As a daydream, this is fine. In the meantime, support your private courses, where the course and amenities tend to be better and worth the cost. Or more courses in State Parks. Or Fly 18 (co-existing on ball golf courses), which have all the amenities you want except being exclusively disc golf).

If there was a course around central NC that was lit up at night, like some of the ball golf courses in the area... $30-$50 a month is not a big deal to most of the people I know that play in this area...

Do the numbers. Ask a private course owner how much they'd have to collect to cover all the expenses, including land purchase and building construction. Then add the cost of staff. Think of how many $50s it would take to pay for this. Then imagine going to a bank to arrange financing.[/QUOTE]

Now, that's funny in a good economy, and downright hilarious in 2009 !

You want to borrow money to do what ?

If there was a course around central NC that was lit up at night, like some of the ball golf courses in the area... $30-$50 a month is not a big deal to most of the people I know that play in this area...

Near Columbia, SC is a lighted course. A 9-hole course on a par-3 ball golf course, pay-to-play. Almost nobody goes there.

In the daylight, there are better, free options.

During daylight savings, there's daylight until 8:00 or 9:00, so who needs lights? After daylight savings, it's COLD at night. It seemed like a good idea when I first heard about it, but in practice it doesn't work.

For a disc-golf-only course to have lights, add another huge cost and utility bill. And, it couldn't be a wooded course. And, while being open, it would also have to be a very good course to entice players during the daylight....which means long, and lots of land, and thus lots more money.

$50 a month would not be too much to pay for such a course or disc golf country club.....but no one's going to build one if they can only collect $50 a month.

Who cares about how they pull it off, let's just hope the DO pull it off! Why are ya'll wrapped up in the financing? What if this guy has the cash in his pocket? Lots of pay courses are popping up and that wouldn't happen if they were not profitable. AND another post suggested a pro shop and grille would be there, so there is revenue from that as well.

This is more than a pipe dream for me and my friends. We have actually had an intricate business plan and cost/ benefit analysis completed and the money aspect worked out. I mainly started the thread to see what kind of support I could find in the broader area for such an idea. Between my friends that play and the large number of acquaintances I meet on my local course, DiscoDave- I think I have met you at Harry Myers before man, we are speculating a membership in the hundreds. I do love the fact that disc golf is an inexpensive sport and has a history of catering to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds but with the way the sport has taken off over the past few years, I believe that this type of facility may be the wave of the future. Please keep up the posts because we appreciate all of your input. Happy throwing.

I'm planning on it! I wonder how many people are gonna come out? Are you playing in the tournament?
Man you guys have a great idea with the pay course, just make sure it's nice. Are you gonna have someone design it or do it yourself? That would be awesome, go chunk at a sweet course then get to hang out there on a patio with the fellas and have a cold barley pop! Make it happen buddy!

I think those unfamiliar with DFW disc is that we don't really have a pay-to-play course. All courses are pretty much maintained by the city and a lot of the time it takes a while to get any changes done. Having a course that could be maniuplated on a daily/weekly/monthly basis is an awesome idea. Our area does have a lot of good quality courses but I don't think there are many great courses, and even the one or two great courses need some more improvement.

A night course in DFW would be awesome as it could pretty much be played year round. Solar lights versus traditional electric as tstockt said could even be a tax break from the city/county they're installed in. Albeit more expensive short-term but long term could definately pay it all back for sure.

Having a grill/snack bar, pro shop, etc. could also compensate for revenue on course fees, help upkeep, or whatever. Get a fountain drink dispenser. McDonald's makes an 80% plus margin on fountain drinks (including refills). If you buy it for $1.00, but it only cost them $0.20, they make $0.80. I would pay for a drink on the course, maybe even a bag of chips.

I'm planning on it! I wonder how many people are gonna come out? Are you playing in the tournament?
Man you guys have a great idea with the pay course, just make sure it's nice. Are you gonna have someone design it or do it yourself? That would be awesome, go chunk at a sweet course then get to hang out there on a patio with the fellas and have a cold barley pop! Make it happen buddy!

For sure.

We are going to get someone to professionally design the courses…Doyle and Houck's names are at the top of the list.

We are also talking about 3 tee boxes and around several basket locations per hole. Any suggestion/ thoughts on this idea are more than welcomed.

Again thanks for all of your feedback. Keep it coming!

FYI- we plan on this becoming a reality in the next 12 months.

Man I think this is gonna blow up if you get Houck or someone good to design you a killer course! 3 tee pads per hole would be sweet and keep the course from getting stale. I love the practice tee and practice putting are too! It would be nice to be able to throw 10-20 before the round to warm up and then head over to the putting area before my tee time! WOO HOO! I can see this whole thing in my head...let me know if you guys need any help with this, I'd be happy to pitch in.

We have actually had an intricate business plan and cost/ benefit analysis completed and the money aspect worked out.

As a private course owner, I'd love to see this. Perhaps you've some ideas we could make use of here.

Someone else said pay-to-play courses are popping up so they must be profitable. All the ones I've played, the property was already serving another purpose, such as ball golf, ski slope, farm, private landholding, and the income from disc golf just contributed a little bit. I'm unaware of anyplace where the pay-to-play income covers even a tiny percentage of the overall expense.

There was also a comment back there about "who cares about the financing?" If you're talking about a lottery winner or rich heir doing this as a hobby, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about $50 per month, per person supporting a country club, surely it does.

Does your business plan include one killer course, or a variety of courses for different skills? How many acres would be needed? What buildings do you anticipate---clubhouse, store, snackbar, pool?

We're 30 miles from a metropolitan area of a half-million people, so we'd be clearly interested in a working plan that would cover our costs. We have a head start, as we've already financed the land. And the area could sure use a little more employment, if there's a business plan that includes paid staff.

Latest posts